Another alternator question (faulty or not).

Featured Posts

I have now replaced the alternator for a new 12V 90 AMP MULTIFIT PRESTOLITE ALTERNATOR 66021590M. It appears to be running well and giving a voltage of 14.59V on the battery monitor which is very similar to the voltage on the starter battery. From memory I don't think the previous alternator gave anywhere near that value (probably 13 point something). I now know that a value below 14.2V was unsatisfactory but wasn't clear on that before.

My thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and improved my knowledge.

One lives and learns - and I wish I'd known the actual identity of the alternator sooner so I could have avoided being 'ripped off' and paying £46 more than I would have paid if I'd bought from a company with an website who had them in stock and offered free next day delivery!

55 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

For the benefit of others can you say from whom you bought the alternator at such a high price and maybe from whom you would have liked to buy it cheaper please? 

At a guess it was the one that was fitted for him, who knows

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

For the benefit of others can you say from whom you bought the alternator at such a high price and maybe from whom you would have liked to buy it cheaper please? 

The cheaper option was from The Starter Motor and Alternator Company  https://www.startermotoralternators.co.uk/  There may be cheaper options but if there are I don't want to know.

I bought at the higher price from the Manchester company mentioned earlier in the thread.

For the record I fitted the alternator myself and amazingly it works!