Water points between Marple and Portland Basin

Leemc

Featured Posts

No water point  below Marple Locks and the  secret one at Portland Basin is "unofficial". You might be ok at Portland Basin Marina off line but  that could be a faff fo access.

Nearest proper  one is Fairfield Top Lock if you're heading for Manchester and Grove Road Services up the Huddersfield near lock 8. Facilities provided by C &RT in the area are minimal.🙁

• Unimpressed 1

The one in Portland basin was fine last year, I would be surprised if its vandalised as its in the museum/ warehouse area. Its tucked in the corner by the waterwheel, in the Huddersfield direction. You do have to look for it, pressure is good. We slung a rope around part of the bridge to keep us on the bank. 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The one in Portland basin was fine last year, I would be surprised if its vandalised as its in the museum/ warehouse area. Its tucked in the corner by the waterwheel, in the Huddersfield direction. You do have to look for it, pressure is good. We slung a rope around part of the bridge to keep us on the bank. 

AIUI,That water point is not provided by C&RT and you have no "right" to use it. Usually, there's someone around to ask and a polite request is unlikely to be refused.

I came that way 2 months ago and exactly as others have stated. Nothing between Marple (excl) and Portland Basin, I could potentially have used Portland Marina/arm before the junction but they were closed, and in the end was able to use the Portland Basin one, on the Huddersfield side of the triangle in the Basin, I had a word with the guy from the place there who was fine with it. Had to tie my boat to a post near the bridge there, temporarily. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2022 at 19:21, Stroudwater1 said:

This was spot on thanks very much. There wasn't anyone around to ask when we arrived but we did thank a nice bloke who appeared as we were leaving. 

P.s you will need mega muscles to open some of paddles on way to staylbridge😱

• Greenie 1

Portland Basin Marina recommend using the 'unofficial' water point at Portland Basin, so I imagine it's reasonably well-accepted. Still, almost certainly worth a polite ask if there is anyone around, given that it is their water point and all.