My FR2 won't start.

My old Lister

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

I have just sold my narrow boat and after a good clean up the new owner attempted to start her up without joy.

The batteries all recharged and oil checked we made the necessary adjustments with compression levers etc and switched it on. The flywheel kicked over about 2 spins and stopped with a definite clunk. Not the usual repeated turning over without ignition but a hard mechanical clunk. Every attempt to try again resulted in the same definite clunck.

Anyone out there have an idea before ee have to call out a mechanic please?

Ray Winfield

21 minutes ago, My old Lister said:

Hi everyone

I have just sold my narrow boat and after a good clean up the new owner attempted to start her up without joy.

The batteries all recharged and oil checked we made the necessary adjustments with compression levers etc and switched it on. The flywheel kicked over about 2 spins and stopped with a definite clunk. Not the usual repeated turning over without ignition but a hard mechanical clunk. Every attempt to try again resulted in the same definite clunck.

Anyone out there have an idea before ee have to call out a mechanic please?

Ray Winfield

Is it a roof exhaust that could have got rain down it?

Can you turn it manually?  Raised hand starting gear or a suitable spanner on the prop shaft coupling with it in gear?

Does it go round OK with the decompressors operated?

N

Thanks for your quick response! We haven't a handle and there wasn't one when I bought it about 5 years ago. Seen a video on YouTube today of one being hand wound but the one on my former boat had the flywheel located right against to he wall.

When we tried to start it on Saturday both compressor handles were in the raised position. The stopping of the flywheel/engine was a hard clunk as if something mechanically was in way of something hard, rather than the continuous whine of an engine not creating an electrical circuit and firing up, and after about half, or one flywheel rotation. 

Just now, My old Lister said:

Thanks for your quick response! We haven't a handle and there wasn't one when I bought it about 5 years ago. Seen a video on YouTube today of one being hand wound but the one on my former boat had the flywheel located right against to he wall.

When we tried to start it on Saturday both compressor handles were in the raised position. The stopping of the flywheel/engine was a hard clunk as if something mechanically was in way of something hard, rather than the continuous whine of an engine not creating an electrical circuit and firing up, and after about half, or one flywheel rotation. 

I'll ask again, could it have got water down the exhaust? 

Sorry but there seems to be a separate question just "floating" in the middle of nowhere with no-ones name against it 'I'll ask again, could it have got water down the exhaust?"

The answer is YES there is some evidence of water on the rocker arms and a small amount in the oil channels around the top.

Sorry, don't know where comments originated.

In which case stop trying to start it or you will bend a con rod or worse.

If there is water in a cylinder it will cause an hydraulic lock which will stop the engine dead with a bang.  Turning the engine by hand will prove if this is the case.

The decompressors MAY allow the engine to turn and expel the water but the best way is to remove the injectors.

Yes I had a few of the old screw-on calor gas bottle valve protector tops out with magnet back in the day. I'm sure that's why Calor stopped doing them because narrow boat owners were constantly nicking them for capping off the exhausts. 

Still got three of them actually but gave away several others. 

Well now, he asked on Saturday when he asked how to set the engine up, what the printed label "REMOVE THE POT" meant. I explained you should put a plastic pot or similar on the chimney to avoid rain.

I told him the time I placed a ceramic ex pate pot on the chimney, and forgot about it. The next time I fired up the engine there was a very loud BANG on the roof as the pot shot up in the air and gravity took over!

Theres a lot to be said for water level exhausts............loud knock may be a valve rusted stuck in open position......easily checked with the cover off.

Edited by john.k

1 hour ago, My old Lister said:

Thank you. The new owner had called in a mechanic and has had the injectors removed to be dried and cleaned. Thanks for your help, in the style of all canal users coming to someone's assistance! 

That sounds to me like a complete waste of time and money to me. There is no way I can think of that faulty injectors are could cause the engine to stop rotating on the starter motor "with a definite clunk" as you describe. 

Try turning the engine over again now the injectors are out - this will at least rule out (or in!) hydraulic lock on one cylinder caused by rainwater in the cylinder. Look for a gobbet of water shooting out of the injector hole on the first revolution, and then the engine spinning over freely. If you get this, hydraulic lock from water down the chimney is confirmed, and you might as well just put the injectors back, bleed it and try it again. It will probably run fine.

OTOH if the engine still locks solid with the "definite clunk" you mention, then hydraulic lock is ruled out, as are faulty injectors.

Edited by MtB
Fiddle with it...