water pump impellers

XLD

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, XLD said:

Can someone explain why impellers are available in 3 different materials, Neoprene, Nitrile and MC97?

It is to do with the liquid and the temperature of the liquid they are pumping. I suspect the Jabsco Shop will have this data on their website.

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I didn't know they were. Can I ask which type of water pump are you referring to in your title. Fresh water/domestic pump, engine water pump, etc? 

Jabsco type flexible impeller pump. On boats typically used for raw water, deck wash etc. In the past shower pump and some domestic water pump systems.

Edited by Tony Brooks

47 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It is to do with the liquid and the temperature of the liquid they are pumping. I suspect the Jabsco Shop will have this data on their website.

I have Johnson pumps for my engine cooling water.

Johnson specify Neoprene for use in clean (sea ?) water but for any waters with the slighest contamination of diesel or light oils (sounds like canal water) then a Nitrile impellor must be used.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I didn't know they were. Can I ask which type of water pump are you referring to in your title. Fresh water/domestic pump, engine water pump, etc? 

Water pump in my Mastervolt whisper 6000 generator. Johnson MC97 compound impeller.

Not just the material but the brand of impeller may be significant.

Jabsco impellers are Nitrile

I have been experimenting over a  few years with cheaper  CEF  impellers which are also Nitrile

The Jabsco impellers definitely last longer  , up to twice as long.

Cost wise  over time there is not a lot in it but the more expensive Jabsco  option is probably the way to go.