What life is like living on a narrow boat in Salthouse Dock ?

Featured Posts

“People may think we are hippies but we’re not. This is our home.”

This is the view of Elizabeth who lives on a narrowboat in Salthouse Dock. Like everyone else, she stays there for just a few months a year.

The mother of two is passionate about Liverpool and where she lives. The dock, in her view, is central to the city’s cultural heritage - it was once the beating heart of global trade - and should be respected by all generations.

Elizabeth, 43, told the ECHO: “Living on a boat is a lifestyle choice. And the canals are an English heritage site, where ships and boats carried cargo.

“I lived in London on a boat and now me and my family are here. People may think we are hippies but we are not. This is our home, our kids go to school.

Elizabeth told the ECHO: “People may think we are hippies but we’re not. This is our home.”

“Liverpool is like any other European city on the sea. We look out for each other, it’s a community and we share common interests.”

Salthouse Dock, opened in 1753, played an important role in shipping salt which came from Northwich, Cheshire. Now the dock is home to families, pensioners and workers on a semi-permanent basis.

A few boats down from Elizabeth is Mark Hardman. The 76-year-old gave a passionate case for life on water, and the freedom it can give you.

He told the ECHO: “It’s a unique scenario. You have museums and plenty of pubs on your doorstep.

“We have good neighbours and we’re never short of something to do. When you are stuck in a flat in Kensington, what can you do?

“I’ve got my ironing and washing done and I can go out into town now.”

Salthouse Dock is often overlooked by the famous Royal Albert Dock, which is surrounded by cafes, restaurants and apartments.

But there isn’t a shortage of things to do at Salthouse Dock, either. Peter Kenny, for instance, runs Liverpool’s only floating restaurant from the moorings.

Heoffer insightful history tours with afternoon tea or an evening meal. His business, The Floating Grace, won best employer of the year in 2020 and won an award for employing veterans.

And more ......................................

What life is like living on a narrow boat in Salthouse Dock - Liverpool Echo

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

“People may think we are hippies but we’re not. This is our home.”

This is the view of Elizabeth who lives on a narrowboat in Salthouse Dock. Like everyone else, she stays there for just a few months a year.

The mother of two is passionate about Liverpool and where she lives. The dock, in her view, is central to the city’s cultural heritage - it was once the beating heart of global trade - and should be respected by all generations.

Elizabeth, 43, told the ECHO: “Living on a boat is a lifestyle choice. And the canals are an English heritage site, where ships and boats carried cargo.

“I lived in London on a boat and now me and my family are here. People may think we are hippies but we are not. This is our home, our kids go to school.

Elizabeth told the ECHO: “People may think we are hippies but we’re not. This is our home.”

“Liverpool is like any other European city on the sea. We look out for each other, it’s a community and we share common interests.”

Salthouse Dock, opened in 1753, played an important role in shipping salt which came from Northwich, Cheshire. Now the dock is home to families, pensioners and workers on a semi-permanent basis.

A few boats down from Elizabeth is Mark Hardman. The 76-year-old gave a passionate case for life on water, and the freedom it can give you.

He told the ECHO: “It’s a unique scenario. You have museums and plenty of pubs on your doorstep.

“We have good neighbours and we’re never short of something to do. When you are stuck in a flat in Kensington, what can you do?

“I’ve got my ironing and washing done and I can go out into town now.”

Salthouse Dock is often overlooked by the famous Royal Albert Dock, which is surrounded by cafes, restaurants and apartments.

But there isn’t a shortage of things to do at Salthouse Dock, either. Peter Kenny, for instance, runs Liverpool’s only floating restaurant from the moorings.

Heoffer insightful history tours with afternoon tea or an evening meal. His business, The Floating Grace, won best employer of the year in 2020 and won an award for employing veterans.

And more ......................................

What life is like living on a narrow boat in Salthouse Dock - Liverpool Echo

First time I've heard that all hippies are homeless . . .

34 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Having just spent a few days in Salthouse dock, the most unusual thing for an inland boater was seeing jellyfish swimming around the boat.

Something that distinctly unnerved my then teenage daughter when she did some open water swimming in Salthouse Dock!

On 22/05/2022 at 12:23, PeterF said:

Having just spent a few days in Salthouse dock, the most unusual thing for an inland boater was seeing jellyfish swimming around the boat.

Last year when we were there, as well as the Jellyfish we saw prawns swimming by the side of our boat, and another boat saw a couple of crabs behind their mooring. We've loved our two stays there but I wouldn't want to moor there permanently.