Mooring safely at Newark

Featured Posts

As a newbie, for our first overnight stay on board we were considering Newark on visitor moorings. However, on another site I have read a few posts about vandalism and ASB to boats moored at Newark. There seems to be two problems - youngsters getting on the boat roof and causing damage, and drinkers throwing beer cans and the like at boats. Although I know Newark, I don't know it from a boaters point of view.

What do people recommend - particular visitor moorings or use one of the two marinas for the overnight stay?

I would hate our first night away to be spoilt.

We’ve moored in the middle Newark a couple of times, once on the wall near the floating pub thing, the other time on the pontoons. No problems either time. If you are unlucky you can have trouble anywhere, but I don’t think you are likely to have it in Newark any more than anywhere else.

Our home mooring is in Newark and I agree that the floating pontoon is the best spot for visitors. I personally wouldn't spend the night moored up alongside the park although the view of the castle is spectacular.

9 hours ago, MrsM said:

Our home mooring is in Newark and I agree that the floating pontoon is the best spot for visitors. I personally wouldn't spend the night moored up alongside the park although the view of the castle is spectacular.

The problem with anything other than the pontoon is access. Some of us are not really up to climbing ladders.

Although the wall opposite the pontoon is lower than the rest.

We spent many a night moored in Newark either on the wall opposite the castle or on the wall behind the Castle Barge. 

Never had a problem at all.

We always made sure the ropes were secured back to the boat and moored with all four ropes. 

Always found it a really nice town to spend a couple of days on our way up or down the Trent. 

Thanks for the comments. As with many topics a wide variety of comments (including the other site). The floating pontoon makes sense as my wife has limited mobility but I suspect that gets filled very quickly. Just to be on the safe side (from all aspects) might have to make it the marina, especially for the first time.

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I think you are unduly worrying about nothing.

Go and enjoy yourself.

You will find a mooring. 

+Unfortunately it is in my nature 🙂 . I once defied expectations by going on a motoring holiday across Europe without booking hotels ahead. It was great but it took me a few days to get over the fear of having to sleep in the car overnight because we couldn't find somewhere to stay 🙂 

Never had a problem when moored in Newark other that istr a bit of a climb off the boat as we were never lucky enough to find room on the pontoon.

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Never had a problem when moored in Newark other that istr a bit of a climb off the boat as we were never lucky enough to find room on the pontoon.

I dont know why people always aim for the pontoon. Its the worst mooring in Newark!

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I dont know why people always aim for the pontoon. Its the worst mooring in Newark!

Its also on the wrong side for the main shops inc Morrisons. You have to walk to the bridge to cross. Not a million miles i accept but not as convenient as the other side.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

Its also on the wrong side for the main shops inc Morrisons. You have to walk to the bridge to cross. Not a million miles i accept but not as convenient as the other side.

If you're posh, it is more convenient for Waitrose though.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If you're posh, it is more convenient for Waitrose though.

Last time I went to into a Waitrose I felt as if I'd been mugged.

It's also in the shade all day and bang opposite a scrap yard. Not sure if that still operates though to be fair.

The wall opposite is a far better mooring. Lower than the wall opposite the castle, in the sun all day, handy for the shops, and very little footfall past the boat.

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's also in the shade all day and bang opposite a scrap yard. Not sure if that still operates though to be fair.

I can confirm . The scrap yard has gone.

Waitrose shopping is not so expensive if you  take advantage of offers . Also their own brand stuff is  the same price as anywhere else .

For those who believe Waitrose to be too posh there is Aldi and  Morrisons and Asda in Newark.  I use them all.

Asda  is good for wine. Morrisons is better for beer and whiskey - but best value from all requires advantage to be taken of offers .

Marks and Spencer now open on Northgate which is a stroll down the main road past Aldi.

From the floating pontoon at the Kiln its  a short stroll to the road bridge and into town  or  turn the other way for the footbridge crossing to Aldi. The floating pontoon has water and  a shore power outlet . At  the South end of the pontoon there is, on shore , a bench which is a  gathering spot for local low life so avoid that if you can. Otherwise the pontoon is fine. I have not known the low life to venture onto the pontoon.

Upstream of Town lock is clear or work boats at the moment. Asda is the closest supermarket.

On 21/05/2022 at 21:36, Steve Buxton said:

I would hate our first night away to be spoilt.

I notice you are from Nottingham . Newark is very safe by comparison with Nottingham.

I don't think think the Newark lot are dangerous .

On 22/05/2022 at 15:53, PeterScott said:

AM-JKLWbBp-KwfDiFAXGk-0kJVfKbMkVUrEPp9qU

Weir above Newark to not-worry-about.

Averham Weir 

Pronounced   'Air-em'

28 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I notice you are from Nottingham . Newark is very safe by comparison with Nottingham.

I don't think think the Newark lot are dangerous .

Averham Weir 

Pronounced   'Air-em'

We have spent a lot of time moored in Nottingham over the years and have never had a problem either on the river or on the canal. 

I wouldn't say that one is any safer than the other.

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have spent a lot of time moored in Nottingham over the years and have never had a problem either on the river or on the canal. 

I wouldn't say that one is any safer than the other.

Perhaps  there have been some improvements in recent times but at one time Nottingham was known as the gun and knife capital of the east midlands 

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/nottinghamshire-no-longer-east-midlands-4975332

18 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Perhaps  there have been some improvements in recent times but at one time Nottingham was known as the gun and knife capital of the east midlands 

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/nottinghamshire-no-longer-east-midlands-4975332

We never saw any trouble and always felt safe moored on both the canal and on the river.

We take places on face value and how we find them rather than listening to hearsay from people who have usually never been.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Thanks for all the comments - it doesn't help being a natural pessimist 🙂 . Nottingham now is no better or worse than any large city, and most people know the areas to avoid. Unfortunately I also know Newark quite well (but not from a boating point of view) and one of their areas is right next to the river where presumably some of the visitor moorings are?