Any idea why?

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

Was checking the fire extinguishers yesterday, and this one in the engine room has magnets stuck on it, any good reason why?

Also, how old is too old? All three are in pressure according to the gauge, but two are 2007 vintage and the one with magnets 2006. BSS blurb doesn’t seem to mention any age limit that I can see. 

2479BDFF-59B6-43F3-B635-E39FF727B6B2.jpeg

The puzzling thing is the magnets appear to be curved to fit the shape of the fire extinguisher cylinder. Being probably less than 4" in diameter I'd say a flat magnet simply would not stick on all over like those in the photo.

Therefore, they must be either specially made curved to mate cosily with the fire extinguisher body and so present for specific reason, or they are made from that magnetised rubber that vehicle signs are made from.

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

The puzzling thing is the magnets appear to be curved to fit the shape of the fire extinguisher cylinder. Being probably less than 4" in diameter I'd say a flat magnet simply would not stick on all over like those in the photo.

Therefore, they must be either specially made curved to mate cosily with the fire extinguisher body and so present for specific reason, or they are made from that magnetised rubber that vehicle signs are made from.

Out of a dead starter or some other motor I would guess.

As they’re not doing any harm or getting in the way i guess i’ll just leave them there. Just wanted to check they didn’t serve some arcane purpose as a quick internet search yielded no useful results.

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

As they’re not doing any harm or getting in the way i guess i’ll just leave them there. Just wanted to check they didn’t serve some arcane purpose as a quick internet search yielded no useful results.

Picking up dropped pins and screws but not much good in a steel bilge. Also, for taping to a length of wood to retrieve tools from tight spaces.

I used one to secure spare keys in a well hidden and difficult to get at location, having gone to the boat once and found I had left the keys at home.

Edited by Tony Brooks

On 21/05/2022 at 17:03, Hudds Lad said:

Was checking the fire extinguishers yesterday, and this one in the engine room has magnets stuck on it, any good reason why?

Also, how old is too old? All three are in pressure according to the gauge, but two are 2007 vintage and the one with magnets 2006. BSS blurb doesn’t seem to mention any age limit that I can see. 

2479BDFF-59B6-43F3-B635-E39FF727B6B2.jpeg

Can't you put a bit more information in your thread title?  I hate it when people do this. I've a busy enough life as it is without wasting my precious time having to open a thread to see what it's about, only to then find out I'm not interested in its subject. 😉😀

25 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Can't you put a bit more information in your thread title?  I hate it when people do this. I've a busy enough life as it is without wasting my precious time having to open a thread to see what it's about, only to then find out I'm not interested in its subject. 😉😀

Seeing as it’s you and you’ve asked so nicely, no 😛 

It can’t be edited now i’m afraid, i’ll claim in my defence that i’ve been reading too many online news headlines recently and have become subconsciously infected with clickbaititis. I’d tell you more but you’d not believe what happened next! 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/05/2022 at 14:03, magnetman said:

Shurflo pump motor magnets. 

Has anyone ever managed to re-fit these magnets to a Shurflo and get it running? They seem to have been glued in  with the glue having a finite life. The magnets being magnetic(!)  don't want to go where they need to.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/05/2022 at 08:14, Grassman said:

Lol, as the most interesting bits of the forum are often to be found after the first few responses, I don't think it matters, but I suppose the OP could have titled it, " why has someone stuck magnets on my fire extinguisher?"

However we have now discovered they should be shaken frequently and something about Shureflo pumps, so I think we are better off than we were before.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1