Dazzling narrowboat takes to the water

Featured Posts

A town councillor's vision to improve the canal in Newport has taken another step forward, with the installation of a 42-foot long canal boat.

The narrowboat took to the water of Newport Canal on Thursday morning, travelling down to the town basin – the original wharfage of Newport.

Thanks to the efforts of Steve Robinson from Shebdon Crane Hire, the boat was lifted across the Black Shed car park, with onlookers cheering as it made a splash in the water.

The boat being lifted into place on Newport's canal

The boat will be an added embellishment to the town, to be admired by families, cyclists, dog walkers and joggers who travel the route of the canal.

Councillor Tim Nelson, of Newport Town Council, said: "It was absolutely brilliant. I decided to support the canal people years ago. Hundreds of people use the canal every day for walking, dog walking.

"Waterways should have boats in them and people like looking at canal barges. For the residents, it's new and different and looks very attractive, but it also looks very nice for visitors and we are trying to grow Newport as a visitor economy."

Dazzling narrowboat takes to the water on Newport Canal with aid of large crane | Shropshire Star

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

Or why the boat was apparently hired from Norbury Wharf.

Or where the "dazzling" one is. 

All I've seen so far is a rather dull-looking one with a dark blue top and a black hull.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

Or where the "dazzling" one is. 

All I've seen so far is a rather dull-looking one with a dark blue top and a black hull.

I think there's quite a spakle off the new blacking on the heavily pitted hull!

I can't quite see the point of the boat, or exactly what "the councillor's vision" is. Is it on permanent hire from Norbury Wharf or does the town own it? Is it to be for hire to locals or tourists, or is a purely stationary decorative piece "to be admired by families, cyclists, dog walkers and joggers who travel the route of the canal."? It's certainly not a very informative report.

Tam

It’s a really odd report… it reads as if nobody has ever seen a canal boat on the canal in Newport before. I don’t know the canal, but it seems likely there might be at least a couple of other boats there already (which might be, one imagines, no less dazzling). I may be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Thames Bhaji said:

It’s a really odd report… it reads as if nobody has ever seen a canal boat on the canal in Newport before. I don’t know the canal, but it seems likely there might be at least a couple of other boats there already (which might be, one imagines, no less dazzling). I may be wrong. 

It's just the usual fare from a 'local' rag reporter. An over egged headline to draw you in and then fill your screen with click bait adverts.

8 minutes ago, Ianws said:

The canal is currently being restored. 

GREAT !

Another Albatros to be hung around C&RTs neck.

Restored 'on the cheap' and in a few years time when it all starts to fall apart C&RT have responsibility for maintaining it.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

GREAT !

Another Albatros around C&RTs neck.

I was wondering this.

Is there any obligation upon the part of CRT to take on responsibility for a restored waterway? Can they not just say 'you restored it, now you can run it'?

28 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I was wondering this.

Is there any obligation upon the part of CRT to take on responsibility for a restored waterway? Can they not just say 'you restored it, now you can run it'?

Probably depends who owns it.

31 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I was wondering this.

I think they can refuse, but why would they?

I’d have thought if they knew they were going to be taking over the running of a restored canal they would be involved in the restoration at some level, possibly with the funding and at least over seeing it’s completion.

🤷‍♀️ Who knows? 

Maybe they’re already making the blue signs?

Can they at least get them to show correct information? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Goliath

Just now, Goliath said:

I think they can refuse, but why would they?

I’d have thought if they knew they were going to be taking over the running of a restored canal they would be involved in the restoration at some level, possibly with the funding bit at least over seeing it’s completion.

🤷‍♀️ Who knows

Maybe they’re already making the blue signs?

Can they at least get them show correct information? 🤷‍♀️

I dont hence why was asking. Im sure Nigel would have.

I think a refusal to take on responsibility could be justiified on the basis they clearly struggle to adequately care for what they already have.

12 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I dont hence why was asking. Im sure Nigel would have.

I think a refusal to take on responsibility could be justiified on the basis they clearly struggle to adequately care for what they already have.

Or they could refuse if it’s not been restored adequately?

I think we’re talking of a short length. 
Haven’t looked, but I’m not sure there’s any locks on that bit. 

just googled: there are (were) locks, sounds like a lovely bit of canal. 

Edited by Goliath

51 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I was wondering this.

I posted a couple of days ago the extract of the documents which explain this :

NO (BW / C&RT) are not obliged to take on any restored canal, and, in fact the restorers are legally responsible for the restored canal (seemingly in perpetuity), however (like the bylaws) this has never been implemented and BW / C&RT has taken over full responsibilty, except where a local council etc has agreed to take it on)

(c) the abolition of other public and private rights of navigation over the Board's waterways deriving from any local enactments, of the maintenance obligations under Section 17 of the Regulation of Railways Act, 1873, and of similar maintenance obligations in local enactments.

(d) a new obligation imposed on the Board to deal with all waterways not in the category either of Commercial or Cruising waterways, i.e. the remainder (termed for the sake of convenience the ‘Remainder waterways”) in the most economical manner e.g. either retention, elimination or disposal, as most appropriate.

(e) local and certain other statutory and charitable authorities were given powers to enter into agreements with the Board for maintaining or taking over any Remainder waterways or parts thereof and to assume full responsibility or, in the case of local authorities, for making financial contributions towards the cost of maintenance in inland waterways.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Apparently Daventry Council want to create a new canal to bring canal boats and visitors (trade) into the town. In that case they would presumably want to connect to the CRT network. They might also want to contract with CRT to maintain the waterway since it's doubtful that the local authority could undertake such work in house and would therefore need to enter into an arrangement with another party.

I wonder if any discussions have taken place between Daventry and CRT.