Sunken boat, Droitwich staircase

gatekrash

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Surprising, since from the photos it looks as if the back end of the boat stayed above water.

I wonder how RCR refloated it.....wouldnt be the first time a salvage team has caused more damage than the original incident.......

Edited by frangar

55 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

It may be floating but it's still abandoned at the top of the lock. Engine won't run. 

It'll need total refitting inside, it looks like they'd already trashed it before it sank, most of the internals have been broken. The whole boat is reeking of stale alcohol from about 6 foot away, even though it's been under water, I'd guess from the tide mark about 4 foot deep most of the length of the boat.

Apparently it was a group of Welsh rugby players. One of them arrived driving a Lamborghini, so clearly paying for the damage isn't going to bother them.

IMG_20220522_171244.jpg.8ae323c30ad264e89e2007a43b3b4ade.jpg

IMG_20220522_171220.jpg.269e04516a2b3856b559e22c3d40ac7d.jpg

I'm not sure a few cans scattered around, which probably floated if it sank, is trashing a boat.

The life jacket would self inflate when wet and in the muggy weather wet pillows will go mouldy very quickly.

The back of our boat has definitely had more evidence of a good night on it the morning after the night before 🤔

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm not sure a few cans scattered around, which probably floated if it sank, is trashing a boat.

The life jacket would self inflate when wet and in the muggy weather wet pillows will go mouldy very quickly.

The back of our boat has definitely had more evidence of a good night on it the morning after the night before 🤔

Those marks on the pillows look like oily boot prints - exactly what you'd expect from people walking through a boat that has sunk.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Those marks on the pillows look like oily boot prints - exactly what you'd expect from people walking through a boat that has sunk.

On second look your right. They are. 

Nothing in those pictures suggests the boat was "trashed " prior to sinking.

5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Those marks on the pillows look like oily boot prints - exactly what you'd expect from people walking through a boat that has sunk. had RCR work on it.

Just corrected that for you.....

Just in case some clarity is needed I'm not exactly a fan of the organisation.....

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I know things always look worse than you think, especially since they've got the floor up inside, but the broken and smashed shelves in the saloon and most of the visible bathroom fittings broken don't look like things that would have just floated loose. Although I wouldn't put that past the salvage team either 😁 The level of silt inside is over the height of the sink, which is mid-boat and full of mud.

Just spoke to the guy from ABC who was trying to get the engine running, he said it's taken a lot of water in, they got an oil change done and got it running very briefly but it stopped pretty quickly and even after flushing it the fresh oil is mayonnaised already.

3 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

I know things always look worse than you think, especially since they've got the floor up inside, but the broken and smashed shelves in the saloon and most of the visible bathroom fittings broken don't look like things that would have just floated loose. Although I wouldn't put that past the salvage team either 😁 The level of silt inside is over the height of the sink, which is mid-boat and full of mud.

Just spoke to the guy from ABC who was trying to get the engine running, he said it's taken a lot of water in, they got an oil change done and got it running very briefly but it stopped pretty quickly and even after flushing it the fresh oil is mayonnaised already.

That sounds like a new engine needed....if its had that much water in it I hope they took the injectors out before cranking.....or there might be some bent valves etc...I brought a CRT hopper back to a yard after it had sunk....and the beta on that lived but was checked over properly before trying to start it...and flushed and run off a temporary diesel tank.

1 minute ago, frangar said:

That sounds like a new engine needed....if its had that much water in it I hope they took the injectors out before cranking.....or there might be some bent valves etc...I brought a CRT hopper back to a yard after it had sunk....and the beta on that lived but was checked over properly before trying to start it...and flushed and run off a temporary diesel tank.

Yeah he said they'd pulled the injectors first and gently turned it over. He did reckon it wasn't going to be moving off the lock landing for a couple of days at best.

7 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

Any remaining water in the (diesel) engine could result in it locking up which can lead to serious engine damage including bent con rods.

Ask any car driver who has driven through flood water that is too deep and scooped water into the air intake.

If the engine hasnt been properly drained of water before attempting a start its likely now in need of very expensive repairs, or worse destined for scrap.

Edit - typed too slow

13 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

Sounds odd for an engine that wouldn't have been running at the time!

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 1

Yesterdays news of the event :

‘Stag party’ sink canal boat in Droitwich lock | Worcester News

And, in tonights news ............

ABC Boat Hire canal boat back above water after being sunk by 'stag party' | Worcester News

The hired narrowboat was submerged after being parked in a lock in Droitwich by a group believed to be on a stag do.

Volunteers from River Canal Rescue were quick to react and spent Saturday removing the boat from the lock.

A spokesperson said: “Rescue team on-site refloating hire boat that has come to grief at the Droitwich lock flights.”

By around 5pm, the boat had been removed from the lock and was once again floating on the canal.

“Boat all up and floating and lock reopened,” read a follow-up post from River Canal Rescue.

The Canal and Rivers Trust has confirmed it is planning to launch a full investigation into what happened.

A spokesperson said: “I think it was a stag party and there were three boats.

“One was the one that got into trouble and that was because they didn’t operate the locks and the paddles properly, so ultimately their boat got stuck.

“We are relieved that there have been no injuries or anything worse.”

It understood that the stag party abandoned another boat and continued on a third.

All of the boats were hired from ABC Boat Hire.

A spokesperson of the company said: “Full handovers were carried out at the marina before the guests left the boatyard yesterday afternoon. 

“The parties have been removed from the other boats in the group and no one has been hurt.”

Worcester News: The boat sank in a lock in Droitwich. Picture: River Canal Rescue

Worcester News: Rescue teams spent Saturday removing the boat from the lock

18 minutes ago, frangar said:

A hire yard will have spare engines ready to change. They will have the engine out and a new(or reconditioned) one in in no time.

Richardson's have a shed full of them for when theirs bream down.

14 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Sounds odd for an engine that wouldn't have been running at the time!

Not if it’s gone under with an inlet or exhaust valve open then cranked….and given RCR were involved who knows…..

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yesterdays news of the event :

‘Stag party’ sink canal boat in Droitwich lock | Worcester News

And, in tonights news ............

ABC Boat Hire canal boat back above water after being sunk by 'stag party' | Worcester News

The hired narrowboat was submerged after being parked in a lock in Droitwich by a group believed to be on a stag do.

Volunteers from River Canal Rescue were quick to react and spent Saturday removing the boat from the lock.

A spokesperson said: “Rescue team on-site refloating hire boat that has come to grief at the Droitwich lock flights.”

By around 5pm, the boat had been removed from the lock and was once again floating on the canal.

“Boat all up and floating and lock reopened,” read a follow-up post from River Canal Rescue.

The Canal and Rivers Trust has confirmed it is planning to launch a full investigation into what happened.

A spokesperson said: “I think it was a stag party and there were three boats.

“One was the one that got into trouble and that was because they didn’t operate the locks and the paddles properly, so ultimately their boat got stuck.

“We are relieved that there have been no injuries or anything worse.”

It understood that the stag party abandoned another boat and continued on a third.

All of the boats were hired from ABC Boat Hire.

A spokesperson of the company said: “Full handovers were carried out at the marina before the guests left the boatyard yesterday afternoon. 

“The parties have been removed from the other boats in the group and no one has been hurt.”

Worcester News: The boat sank in a lock in Droitwich. Picture: River Canal Rescue

Worcester News: Rescue teams spent Saturday removing the boat from the lock

Well that’s some accurate reporting….think they need to realise there’s a difference between RCR and CRT…..

• Greenie 1

Well that report's a load of bull do-do ! Love the "quick to react" comment - if only ABC or CRT had done so. ABC were aware there was an issue within a couple of hours of them leaving Worcester - 3pm the first complaint came in from someone at our marina who was dropping down to Worcester and came across them, we contacted them at half 5 ish when we were almost T-boned on the moorings at Tibberton, and then our friends boat was hit by them shortly after. Problem is there is no easy way to contact ABC in person out of hours.

ABC here are doing damage limitation, as soon as you talk to them their first comment is 'full training was given'.  But to their credit they have asked anyone who has any damage whatsoever to email them and they have promised to sort it without argument. 

I know for a fact that CRT were also told via their emergency line of what was happening but weren't in the least bit interested and said it wasn't their issue. And it was sod all to do with lock operation and all to do with being p*ssed and out of control.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, gatekrash said:

It may be floating but it's still abandoned at the top of the lock. Engine won't run. 

It'll need total refitting inside, it looks like they'd already trashed it before it sank, most of the internals have been broken. The whole boat is reeking of stale alcohol from about 6 foot away, even though it's been under water, I'd guess from the tide mark about 4 foot deep most of the length of the boat.

Apparently it was a group of Welsh rugby players. One of them arrived driving a Lamborghini, so clearly paying for the damage isn't going to bother them.

IMG_20220522_171244.jpg.8ae323c30ad264e89e2007a43b3b4ade.jpg

IMG_20220522_171220.jpg.269e04516a2b3856b559e22c3d40ac7d.jpg

If it was rugby players then the behaviour  will be classed as 'high spirits' , had it been football players then it would be yobbish behaviour. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Troyboy said:

If it was rugby players then the behaviour  will be classed as 'high spirits' , had it been football players then it would be yobbish behaviour. 

Rugby players, 3 boats, a team building weekend was probably on the booking form, not stag party

This appalling behaviour has resulted in other people's boats being damaged, others affected by being held up when the lock was out of action, and probably some of the following weeks hirers having their holidays cancelled at short notice. And these morons will just look back on the experience and recall what a great laugh they had. 

As with many other aspect in life it's just a few that spoil things for the majority.

• Greenie 4