Flexible Solar Panels

Featured Posts

I am thinking of fitting some flexible solar panels of a type with fixing holes in each corner. The idea is to fix the panels by using Neodymium magnets. Any thoughts on this and suggestions on what strength the magnets should be? They quote a vertical pull based on kilograms, which is something of a mystery to me!

Thanks

Colin

@Loddon Why "don't"?

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I have limited knowledge of solar panels, but when we were sorting ours out, flexible panels were not considered. Trapped moisture being the first consideration.

That would not be the case if they were mounted via the magnets as there would be a gap between panel and roof.

5 minutes ago, Traveller said:

@Loddon Why "don't"?

Off the top of my head:

Less output

Shorter working life.

There are more reasons but I would need to look into it again.

Have you already made up your mind ?

6 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Pretty much yes. There are a few around me that have been working well enough for a long time now and, as a leisure boater, my demands are not high. I understand the product is also much better than it was and of course they are now cheaper.

My flexible panel bought 6 years ago lasted less than 2 years, it didn't like getting hot in the sun and as it died would work for a few minutes at a time if I threw a bucket of cold water over it. I believe expansion/contraction breaks the flimsy foil joints between cells as I notice they have more these days.

Hopefully they are better now, good luck.

Edited by Slow and Steady
  • Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I am thinking of fitting some flexible solar panels of a type with fixing holes in each corner. The idea is to fix the panels by using Neodymium magnets. Any thoughts on this and suggestions on what strength the magnets should be? They quote a vertical pull based on kilograms, which is something of a mystery to me!

Thanks

Colin

Have you got a " Composting " Bog?

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Off the top of my head:

Less output

Shorter working life.

There are more reasons but I would need to look into it again.

generally more expensive as well.....

The only flexible panels worth fitting…and what I have fitted with no issues are the CIGS type. They are designed for metal factory roofs so don’t mind the heat. They also come with a bitumen like adhesive coating so they stick all over and cope with movement. I got mine from midsummer energy.  I thought of doing the same as you suggested but decided CIGS was a far better option if you wanted to have low profile panels….

7 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Why? The magnets fit to the panel with a nut and bolt - hence the holes in each corner.

I guessed that was what you were intending, but it was far clear.

Your money, your choice but it is not a choice I would make, especially as they are now unsupported along their length with a gap below, so they can flex in the wind and with snow.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Your money, your choice but it is not a choice I would make, especially as they are now unsupported along their length with a gap below, so they can flex in the wind and with snow.

Also they would sag and rest on the curved roof over most of their area. 

I have a similar setup. The idea was to see if solar would be worthwhile for me or not, and to see how panels might perform where I am moored . I used magnets and flexible panels. I got 12 of these magnets https://www.guysmagnets.com//magnetic-products-c2/vehicle-mag-pad-1-p194/s199 and image.png.5d8b0180fc601c5834544a2cc401169b.png2 of these panels.

The idea was to check the panels location and fit and see how I got on with them before I upgraded to something better and drilled holes in the roof etc.

So Far, so good. I don't need much power  as if we are on the boat we are usually cruising and using the engine . The panels are more for a trickle charge and a boost in between weekend cruises

The panels survived the storms a few months ago and I appreciate they should really be stuck down for heat dissipation and protection from flexing etc. but I am happy for now and will look to upgrade to something better later on if I need to

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

So what is so unclear that you had to guess! And the bigger the panel the more fixing points so flex should be minimal - the risk is possibly no greater than wind ripping off my existing fittings which are stuck on and that has not happened ..... yet anyway.

8 minutes ago, staying afloat said:

I have a similar setup. The idea was to see if solar would be worthwhile for me or not, and to see how panels might perform where I am moored . I used magnets and flexible panels. I got 12 of these magnets https://www.guysmagnets.com//magnetic-products-c2/vehicle-mag-pad-1-p194/s199 and image.png.5d8b0180fc601c5834544a2cc401169b.png2 of these panels.

The idea was to check the panels location and fit and see how I got on with them before I upgraded to something better and drilled holes in the roof etc.

So Far, so good. I don't need much power  as if we are on the boat we are usually cruising and using the engine . The panels are more for a trickle charge and a boost in between weekend cruises

The panels survived the storms a few months ago and I appreciate they should really be stuck down for heat dissipation and protection from flexing etc. but I am happy for now and will look to upgrade to something better later on if I need to

That is exactly what I was planning and there are several similar installations around our marina, although I have not been able to catch up with the owners unfortunately. Your shortcut to the panels you selected is not working for some reason - any chance of a rerun 🙂

3 hours ago, Traveller said:

am thinking of fitting some flexible solar panels of a type with fixing holes in each corner. The idea is to fix the panels by using Neodymium magnets. Any thoughts on this and suggestions on what strength the magnets should be? They quote a vertical pull based on kilograms, which is something of a mystery to me!

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

So what is so unclear that you had to guess! And the bigger the panel the more fixing points so flex should be minimal - the risk is possibly no greater than wind ripping off my existing fittings which are stuck on and that has not happened ..... yet anyway.

Read your first post above. Where does it say that you intended to screw the panels onto of the magnets. The actual words could just as easily mean you were hoping to sandwich the panel between the magnet and the roof.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I think Mr Traveller has already made his mind up and was asking for reassurance perhaps.

So do I and is less than chuffed when potential problems are pointed out.

Oh that sort on nit-picking - the type you are famous for. People like you need three pages of info when for most a couple of lines will do. To be honest I would rather you just did not respond. You are only out to try and score points and I am not interested. Obviously the old Canalworld mafia still exists in what they see as their private little club. Get a life son you are looking tired.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

2 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Oh that sort on nit-picking - the type you are famous for. People like you need three pages of info when for most a couple of lines will do. To be honest I would rather you just did not respond. You are only out to try and score points and I am not interested. Obviously the old Canalworld mafia still exists in what they see as their private little club. Get a life son you are looking tired.

I can sense a dummy splat coming up......

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Read your first post above. Where does it say that you intended to screw the panels onto of the magnets. The actual words could just as easily mean you were hoping to sandwich the panel between the magnet and the roof.

So do I and is less than chuffed when potential problems are pointed out.

Maybe it’s me but I would have thought that bolting the magnets through the holes mentioned was so obvious it didn’t need spelling out…..but of course there’s those on here that delight in needing everything explained lest they have nothing to berate a poster who might have a different idea to them 

3 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Well said! 

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I can sense a dummy splat coming up......

I think that’s happened and it’s not the OP’ dummy! 

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I think Mr Traveller has already made his mind up and was asking for reassurance perhaps.

Not so, I was after thoughts based on experience rather than opinion and I got one very useful one for which I am grateful. My initial post said "I am thinking of fitting".