Rejuvenating Lead Acid Batteries

Featured Posts

Something that takes two minutes and makes batteries last for ever sounds too good to be true, and if something sounds too good to be true then...............😀

I am too busy to watch the video, can you watch it for us and give us a quick summary? 😀

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

Something that takes two minutes and makes batteries last for ever sounds too good to be true, and if something sounds too good to be true then...............😀

I am too busy to watch the video, can you watch it for us and give us a quick summary? 😀

Seems he connects the battery  to an electric welder. I gave up at that point.

Doing so might reverse the sulphation, but I don't see how it can stop plate shedding, in fact I suspect it will make it worse. It is. Plate shedding is one of the causes of cells shorting because the plate material fills the sediment traps in the bottom of the battery and literally connect the positive and negative plates.

There is no way I can see it will make your battery last forever but as usual YouTube and other social media sites have little interest in the truth as long as it gets hits.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Seems he connects the battery  to an electric welder. I gave up at that point.

Doing so might reverse the sulphation, but I don't see how it can stop plate shedding, in fact I suspect it will make it worse. It is. Plate shedding is one of the causes of cells shorting because the plate material fills the sediment traps in the bottom of the battery and literally connect the positive and negative plates.

There is no way I can see it will make your battery last forever but as usual YouTube and other social media sites have little interest in the truth as long as it gets hits.

I agree with Tony. Unless the plates of the battery are designed to accept new active material they cannot be rejuvenated when the active material is lost.

Way back at the start of my career in the early 70's, some telecommunications batteries were designed with plates that could be separated, the old active material removed and replaced with new, and the plates lead welded back together but these were soon replaced by smaller throw away batteries which were much more cost effective.

5 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Anyone used this technique before ?  Looks a bit dangerous to me.

Nope not me, and nor will I.

And like others, I CBA to waste 11 minutes of my life chugging through a video making such an outrageously unlikely claim. 

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Nope not me, and nor will I.

And like others, I CBA to waste 11 minutes of my life chugging through a video making such an outrageously unlikely claim. 

He just boils the battery to clean the plates but for novelty value/to look clever uses a stick welder instead of a charger.

I ve seen many yootoob vids on this subject and theyre all bollox. If I seriously wanted to rejuvenate a flooded battery I would empty out the acid and fill each cell with ammonium formate solution. (lead sulphate is soluble in ammonium formate) and then bung the whole thing in an  ultrasonic bath for a while to aid the dissolution process. Empty out each cell and repeat. At a rough guess 3 iterations would be enough to remove most of the lead sulphate. Then refill with new battery acid. This won't replace lead shed from the plates but if your battery is still heavy that won't be a problem. It also wont work if the plates have warped and shorted causing failure which would be a problem. Never tried it, probably never will because my current set of  cheap and cheerful flooded batteries have just done their 4 th full time liveaboard winter and I'm in the rag em in bits and then replace brigade. Otherwise, as has been suggested, give em an aspirin, and take a couple y self. 

• Greenie 1

Absolutely fascinating. In the early days of my apprenticeship we used to do something very similar, except we used a town gas/oxygen touch rather than a carbon and they were individual cell lids pitched into the case. Then the plates were supplied as ready-made up groups so It was just a case of pitching and burning the interlinks & posts. Next the groups came in a new case so still pitching and burning. Finally, it was no longer cost or time effective so it was just fit a new battery.

Ive found dead flat batteries wont initially take any charge,and must be hooked up to around 1A per cell for maybe two days before they will take any charge,then they can be fully charged.....I use a low rate ,that doesnt heat the battery............I used to rent a part of my yard to some repo men for a finance co to store repoed machinery in.,and they dumped heaps of big batteries........I used to get enough dead flat batteries to recover, that my  cranes ,compressors ,and boat never needed a new battery.......never bothered with car batteries tho,they are cheap rubbish.

Funny thing about putting solutions in batteries,and melting the bitumen on top to get the lead out..........many years ago,there was a guy who redid the hard rubber batteries ,on an industrial scale ........your old hard rubber case with ,new plates for maybe $10................anyhoo,fast forward 30 years,and the old house is having all the dirt dug out to 4 metres deep ,becos its lead soaked........supposed cost several million to dump the dirt somewhere else.