Chlorinated rubber paint for grp hull

Featured Posts

Has anyone heard of or had experience with this?

I have decided to use as even though its not often the go to... it seems to be a good from what I've read.

If you have, would I need to sand all the way back to fiberglass? Or can I paint over the original paint on my 1980 grp cruiser (I don't know what paint it is, just standard paint for this type of boat I suppose)

And do I need to sand between coats? (Can you even sand it?)

I'm only asking because I've thouraghly searched the net already and there is very little info on it from users.

Thanks!

Edited by Dockeroo

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's what I've got, that primer and actual chlorinated rubber from the same company, wasn't going to get it but glad I did now.

There was some thinner that I didny get, donyou think this is essential or not needed?

Do you know if I just roughly sand the existing paint and paints this on rather than going back to fiberglass?

Edited by Dockeroo

I'm not sure a 1980 grp cruiser would have had an original antifoul paint many grp boats have just had the gel coat when first sold, and even if it was coated when new it us likely to have been redone at least a few times over the last 42 years. So not easy to say what is on there now unless you know the history of the boat, you need to check the preparation instructions on the paint you intend to use, and see what it says about existing coatings.

I have a friend who painted the decks of a fiberglass sea going fishing boat with chlorinated rubber paint. He absolutely swears by it. Says it is very hard wearing and keeps its colour well.

8 hours ago, Dockeroo said:

That's what I've got, that primer and actual chlorinated rubber from the same company, wasn't going to get it but glad I did now.

There was some thinner that I didny get, donyou think this is essential or not needed?

Do you know if I just roughly sand the existing paint and paints this on rather than going back to fiberglass?

i didn''t  use the same sort of paint we are talking  about when antifouling but did consider it. I used a different paint but only because it was available locally.

However I did use a barrier coat before the antifoul with both coats by the same manufacturer.

I wet sanded the old antifoul until the white GRP started to show through.  Lifted out a few weeks ago and it was all intact after 2 years.The better method would have been to go back to are GRP and start from scratch with epoxy paint and then antifoul on top .

Don't dry sand old antifoul as it is highly toxic. Wear clothing you are prepared to discard. Wear eye protection.  

I didn't use thinners but discarded rollers /brushes after a single use as it was the cheaper option.

image.png.9426ff0da74a4cf84fb948597f01272f.png

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

I wet sanded the old antifoul until the white GRP started to show through.  Lifted out a few weeks ago and it was all intact after 2 years.The better method would have been to go back to are GRP and start from scratch with epoxy paint and then antifoul on top .

Don't dry sand old antifoul as it is highly toxic. Wear clothing you are prepared to discard. Wear eye protection.  

I didn't use thinners but discarded rollers /brushes after a single use as it was the cheaper option.

I found it much easier just to pay to have it done ..................................

Let the wallet take the pain.

Scrape off the old antifoul, abrade the surface :

15-10-19a.jpg

Paint on primer / undercoat :

16-10-19h.jpg

We used chlorinated rubber paint on the inside of the hull of our 1966 Foreland 12' 6" tender which we are doing up and it's very good. we sanded the surface, used a primer and put a couple of good coats on. Would definitely use it again. Our paint was from paints4trade.com.

Edited by Larkboy
additional info

15 minutes ago, Larkboy said:

We used chlorinated rubber paint on the inside of the hull of our 1966 Foreland 12' 6" tender which we are doing up and it's very good. we sanded the surface, used a primer and put a couple of good coats on. Would definitely use it again. Our paint was from paints4trade.com.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm quite confident it will be ok now

• Greenie 1