Audlem Locks.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Probably do these locks tomorrow. Are there normally Volockies there? 

If you are getting on in years or are in some way disabled and are going to be single handed, telephone CRT and talk to them.

If not, get on with it.

They are delightful and delightfully easy, as long as with the rest of the Shroppie, you are mindful of the fierce by-washes.

We did get on with, thanks for the stern instruction. We do get on with it ‘with locks’ done a few no doubt will do a few more. We are getting on in years but not disabled in any way.

Yep volockies, two in number. At two locks. One at each.

We are near, dare I say, official secrets act and all that, the Secret Bunker. I can’t say where it is though.

3 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

If you are getting on in years or are in some way disabled and are going to be single handed, telephone CRT and talk to them.

If not, get on with it.

They are delightful and delightfully easy, as long as with the rest of the Shroppie, you are mindful of the fierce by-washes.

Fierce by-washes. Had more wash on my tot.

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't worry we know where you are :

Image result for road signs to secret bunker

Must confess I spent one of the most boring hours of my life going round that. Luckily, my son had been round and passed his tickets, which are valid for any number of visits in a year, to us so it didn't cost us anything, which is about what it's worth. Absolutely nothing of interest there whatsoever. Which is understandable, really - it's just radio rooms, telephones and ancient computers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Arthur. I was building myself up and raiding the piggy bank to pay this place a visit. You have confirmed my deep down thoughts. Put the change back in Mr Pig then.

Opposite opinion:

we visited the secret bunker a few years back - all four of us agreed it was very good.

Don't know if it's been altered since then, but we plan to go again next time we chug  that way.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, pig said:

Opposite opinion:

we visited the secret bunker a few years back - all four of us agreed it was very good.

Don't know if it's been altered since then, but we plan to go again next time we chug  that way.

Bit worrying a cold war expecting a nuclear attack and all the bunkers are secret, I wonder if there are any today with Putin shouting the odd, if there is I bet there are none for the general public.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, pig said:

Opposite opinion:

Absolutely, stuff like that fascinates me.

A bit like when we visited the control centre for the Apollo missions its a insight into years gone by.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Must confess I spent one of the most boring hours of my life going round that. Luckily, my son had been round and passed his tickets, which are valid for any number of visits in a year, to us so it didn't cost us anything, which is about what it's worth. Absolutely nothing of interest there whatsoever. Which is understandable, really - it's just radio rooms, telephones and ancient computers.

I found it very interesting along with the other one near Brentwood in essex.....Perhaps modern history is not to your taste but I dare say you find things interesting that I would find quite dull....

The owner is a lovely bloke who talked at me for over an hour about the place when I was trying to find a good date to switch the power off to the site.

It only dawned on me why he wasn't fussed on the day, as the fuses were pulled the ground rumbled and the massive diesel genny kicked in, I mean who would have thought a nuclear shelter would have had back up power :)

He also has a fairly large Internet server or hub or whatever it's called in a lower level

38 minutes ago, pig said:

Opposite opinion:

To be fair, I think my son enjoyed his visit. I suppose, having studied the era, I found the displayed explanations didn't add anything to my knowledge and seemed to have been written in that slightly patronising tone "experts" use when trying to keep the attention of both adults and children, reminiscent of those public service broadcasts of yesteryear. I also do admit to having a low boredom threshold.

The displays themselves are largely ranks of computers blinking away and the odd radar screen, because that's what there is in a bunker, plus a few beds and food storage. It wasn't built as an entertainment project...

I have a vague memory that most of the stuff comes from elsewhere, too, so you don't even get an authentic experience of what was there at the time, either, though whether that matters much, I dunno.

Others obviously have found it fascinating or at least interesting. Me, I couldn't get back to the boat fast enough, though the ranks of motorbikes outside were fun - I think there was a big bike training program going on! 

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Now, I have mixed feelings. 

Always best to make your own mind up.

These things are not just a few defunct dials and knobs but they are symbols of the place the world had got itself to back then.

I would love to visit the launch control centres for the ICBM's in the US. They do tours of them too.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Now, I have mixed feelings. 

I seem to be in a minority - I must have passed the sign fifty times over the years before giving up and going. If you don't go, you'll always wonder... I'll be interested to know what you make of it.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I seem to be in a minority - I must have passed the sign fifty times over the years before giving up and going. If you don't go, you'll always wonder... I'll be interested to know what you make of it.

Not quite. Mrs HN would be bored rigid.

42 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Bit worrying a cold war expecting a nuclear attack and all the bunkers are secret, I wonder if there are any today with Putin shouting the odd, if there is I bet there are none for the general public.

There never were.

The Royal family, Privy Council, Archbishops, Captains of Industry. The rest of us fry if we're lucky, I don't want to think about what life will be like afterwards.

5 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I don't want to think about what life will be like afterwards.

Lots of puking and a very slow death.

Hopefully we live close enough to RAF Fylingdales to avoid all that.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

There never were.

The Royal family, Privy Council, Archbishops, Captains of Industry. The rest of us fry if we're lucky, I don't want to think about what life will be like afterwards.

I think we were advised to put brown paper over the windows and sit under a table, and then not open the windows until the radiation had gone down.

There was a film, The War Game, made for the BBC which was deemed so scary the government refused to allow it to be shown. Us at college were allowed to see it, as obviously we were intelligent enough not to be frightened, unlike the oiks. If I remember correctly, it was somewhat pathetic, but then most of us had read enough SF and dystopian stuff to find it pretty tame. Anyway, we were teenagers, and teenagers are immortal.