Wood End Lock, Trent and Mersey

Featured Posts

I see because of HS2 the cottage at Lock 20 on the Trent and Mersey is empty and the moorings above and below the lock are empty.

Can anyone say how the HS2 effects this bit of the canal?

I could see the works going on close by lock 20 and see there’s no longer access along the lane but am struggling to find out what exactly will happen there. 

I understand there will be a viaduct built very close to the marina at Great Heywood and it will cross the canal at some height. 
That’s as much I can find out.

Also, were those moorings CRT or private?

Woodend not wooden.

Dunno how to edit title

Edited by BEngo
Title Amended

There was a post by @Grassman in another thread about the cottage and moorings.

All the moorers were given 3 months notice to leave by March 31st. It's more to do with access and parking rather than disruption to the actual moorings. Once HS2 have finished their evil doings in approximately 2 years time the cottage and moorings will be available for use again. The cottage is owned by HS2 and the tenant was only on a short term rental agreement so no compo for them either.

• Greenie 1

Thanks, always prompt replies on here.

Yes, wondered if it may be an access thing. Glad to hear moorings will be available again and the cottage will remain.

I looked for info on HS2 website and couldn’t find much, the government maps are good I’ll look at a few more of them.

Having been away for awhile it’s quite a shock to see so many changes going on, and so much landscape being carved up.

While Googling I found the IWA had done a huge amount of research in great detail regarding effects of HS2 on the canals.

14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Having been away for awhile it’s quite a shock to see so many changes going on, and so much landscape being carved up.

Been watching that section as pass through fairly regulary. A week or so ago I went through Harefield and couldnt believe the change there.

Love it or hate it -some massive engineering going on.

I’ve been watching the bit by the NEC grow, where there’ll be a station. 
I come off the M42 when visiting Coleshill so it takes me through the works there. 
And of course I’ve watched the bit by Streethay grow over the winter. 

Yea, massive engineering. 

I both love it and hate it. 

If you care to look at my blog Harnser's Travels: Amington (nbharnser.blogspot.com) you will see a map showing the proximity of the HS2 lines to the canal and also where it crosses. I don't think there will be any access to the cottage or moorings while the work is ongoing

46 minutes ago, Goliath said:

While Googling I found the IWA had done a huge amount of research in great detail regarding effects of HS2 on the canals.

I think the IWA and CRT are the only people putting forward arguments for boaters. But then the IWA doesn't do anything today, does it?

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you care to look at my blog Harnser's Travels: Amington (nbharnser.blogspot.com) you will see a map showing the proximity of the HS2 lines to the canal and also where it crosses. I don't think there will be any access to the cottage or moorings while the work is ongoing

I think the IWA and CRT are the only people putting forward arguments for boaters. But then the IWA doesn't do anything today, does it?

They’ve gone up in my estimation after seeing the lengths they’ve been to regards consideration of HS2. 

I’ll have a peek at your blog later. 
👍

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Woodend not wooden.

Dunno how to edit title

If it's still editable, edit the original post and tap/click on the title.  It should become editable when you do.

Failing that, report your original post to the mods and ask for a title change.

Istr the original alignment was moved as it originally smashed its way through there in a totally unsympathetic fashion potentially ruining a very nice spot on the waterways.

I love 'big engineering' too.

When there's a need for it.

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Istr the original alignment was moved as it originally smashed its way through there in a totally unsympathetic fashion potentially ruining a very nice spot on the waterways.

I love 'big engineering' too.

When there's a need for it.

The re-alignment was adopted because it saved money, otherwise I bet the cottage, lock and all, would be going.

27 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The re-alignment was adopted because it saved money, otherwise I bet the cottage, lock and all, would be going.

From memory (I cant find the old map) I dont think the original actually involved removing them, it just passed extremely close......too close.

11 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

The original plan involved the canal being crossed twice.

It was actually going to cross 3 times but the Lichfield IWA came up with the new plan and when HS2 discovered it would save them £55m they agreed to it.

IWA are also campaigning for noise mitigation measures to be installed wherever in the country HS2 goes within a certain distance of a canal, but HS2 won't categorise boats as being dwellings so therefore are refusing. IWA's argument is that even though boats are in transit they still are dwellings whether temporarily or permanently in the vicinity (marinas, online moorings etc) or just overnighting when passing through (either liveaboards or leisure boaters).

34 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I see it's going quite close to Kings Bromley Marina. Is that a cutting and short tunnel directly south of it or an embankment and bridge?

The vertical profile on the bottom half of the drawing shows that HS2 rises up to cross over the Lichfield Road, Bourne Brook and the existing West Coast Main Line.

17 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Now credit where credit's due; one Richard Parry of CRT got personally involved in this re-alignment, and no doubt, having spent many years in the railway industry, was in a good position to bend a few ears and provide solutions.

I believe he took HS2 to task on several other sensitive sites along the proposed line.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

The vertical profile on the bottom half of the drawing shows that HS2 rises up to cross over the Lichfield Road, Bourne Brook and the existing West Coast Main Line.

Thanks.

When passing through there I took a sneaky peek at Ravenscroft Cottage, surrounded by the woodland. It was also fenced off and seemed empty. I know nothing about the dwelling, but it appears substantial.

Is this place also to be re-instated?

Edited by Puffling
peek not peak!