Obsolete mooring set-up

TomIre

Featured Posts

Not strictly mooring.

On horse drawn boats or butties towed from the mast and running blocks, I'd love to see how the OP would make a cleat work here.
Does the OP know the reason for this set up?

There is also the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I have sailed extensively offshore as well as canal boating and its "horses for courses."

Bill Humphries NB John.jpeg

Edited by Ray T

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

On horse drawn boats or butties towed from the mast and running blocks I'd love to see how the OP would make a cleat work here.
Does the OP know the reason for this set up?

Bill Humphries NB John.jpeg

Zero experience with horse drawn narrowboats.  Frankly, I don't expect that to change anytime soon!😁

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've changed it to what I think it was meant to be. If this is wrong, please let me know!

Looks right to me. 👍

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

For general handling, nothing. 

I have two centrelines, one each side,  attached to raised handrails.  The lines do need to be securely attached though as they often get used for "strapping" the boat to a halt.  

I'd not use any variant of a centreline for mooring though, except perhaps as a very slack "belt and braces" insurance line.

I also have twin lines (proper name) attached to two eye bolts just inside the hand rails. I had to use them for mooring on the middle level as that was the only way of attaching the boat, thankfully residential moorers there kept an eye on the levels and other peoples boats.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Anyone who uses a roof mounted  line to moor a boat in any way is an idiot.

They should only used for boat handling ;)

Bits on the gunwales however do work well for attaching  mooring springs.

I use two centre lines to one fixing in the centre of the roof, these are fed through fairleads which work well.

I have only a small experience of all types of small craft having started boating  in 1960. 😎

I remember the forum member called @Chrisgw (or similar) who had a nasty experience with badly welded central eye on the top of his narrow boat. 

memory fades over time but I think he was coming in to Hunton Bridge lock going up single handed and using the "centre line"* for strapping the boat in. 

the welded bit on the boat broke, the rope became a catapult and the ring/shackle hit him hard in the shoulder. 

Obviously one keeps away from this sort of hazard but its not always that easy to see. 

Be careful, and don't die.

Just now, magnetman said:

I remember the forum member called @Chrisgw (or similar) who had a nasty experience with badly welded central eye on the top of his narrow boat. 

memory fades over time but I think he was coming in to Hunton Bridge lock going up single handed and using the "centre line"* for strapping the boat in. 

the welded bit on the boat broke, the rope became a catapult and the ring/shackle hit him hard in the shoulder. 

Obviously one keeps away from this sort of hazard but its not always that easy to see. 

I have seen several boats where the Fairlead use to be on the handrail before the bolts shared and it pinged, I have never seen one actually go.

41 minutes ago, TomIre said:

Zero experience with horse drawn narrowboats.  Frankly, I don't expect that to change anytime soon!😁

Surge the rope ( or line if preferred) with a turn round the cleat.

Howard 

43 minutes ago, TomIre said:

I believe, and Ray may correct me, there isn’t any horse involved. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Much the same happened on the Star Clipper in 2004, with fatal results on that occasion:

"Between 30 and 35 people were on the pier waiting for Star Clipper and other river
services. As the vessel made the approach, her mate, standing at the port passenger
entrance, passed the eye of a polypropylene berthing rope over a pier bollard and
secured it loosely onto one of the vessel’s bollards. The captain manoeuvred Star
Clipper to align with the pier and vessel passenger gates. When the vessel was about
1.5m from the pier, the rope was secured and slight ahead power maintained to bring
her alongside.
Just prior to coming alongside, Star Clipper’s mooring bollard was torn from the deck
and was catapulted over the 1.1m pier safety fence. It struck one of the waiting
passengers, causing fatal injuries."

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/failure-of-mooring-bollard-on-passenger-vessel-star-clipper-at-st-katharine-s-pier-river-thames-england-with-loss-of-1-life

1 hour ago, IanM said:

I believe, and Ray may correct me, there isn’t any horse involved. 

It is William Humphris in the photo I posted on NB JOHN, previously JACK, which was a horse drawn boat at the time of the photoghraph.

Slipping the rope took some of the strain off the horse when moving off.
William didn't like motors, he was a "horse" man. Although he did steer a motor in later days when required.

NB Winter 2021.JPG

Bill Humphries2.JPG

Edited by Ray T

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No idea about American horse towing practice, but I think the OP has not realized that our canal boats towed with mast some way back along the boat so the horse toeing bit has nothing t do with T studs.

The towing mast about a third of the way back is positioned so that when towing the boat goes in a straight line, if you tow from the bw the tendency is to pull the boat towards the bank

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No idea about American horse towing practice, but I think the OP has not realized that our canal boats towed with mast some way back along the boat so the horse toeing bit has nothing to do with T studs.

Horse boaters occasionally used a short length of rope from the bow T stud to the mast towing line to pull the line down to aid getting round bridges at junctions or tight bends. Got a photo somewhere....

34 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Apologies if someone has posted this before, but I find my folding cleats very handy, especially for spring lines (like this one). 

20180628_175422.jpg?w=1024&h=576

I’d either forget in the morning on the way to the pub or come home from the pub, forget, trip and break me neck. 

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’d either forget in the morning on the way to the pub or come home from the pub, forget, trip and break me neck. 

It folds flat when not in use, and the trip hazard is I think less than taking the line to the T stud.

1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

It folds flat when not in use, and the trip hazard is I think less than taking the line to the T stud.

Folds flat, I like it 😀

I guess folds towards the ‘inside’.

How would it be if they were bolted just at the end of the cabin? Out the way?

A trip hazard if you walk the gunnel ?

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Folds flat, I like it 😀

I guess folds towards the ‘inside’.

How would it be if they were bolted just at the end of the cabin? Out the way?

A trip hazard if you walk the gunnel ?

Yes, that's right, folds in. The profile is no higher than the upstand on the inside of the side deck. I decided to put it in front of the step that I use to get up to the side deck. I never walk that part of the gunwale, not least as there is nothing to hold onto! 

dsc_3847.jpg