Ascertaining fuel quality.

Featured Posts

FWIW. I have found a few boats with black grit sized stuff in the fuel but when feeling the "grit" between figure and thumb it was firm, would not smear out and had  a slight squashiness to it. I conclude it was "rubber" particles from the inside of fuel hoses.

38 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

FWIW. I have found a few boats with black grit sized stuff in the fuel but when feeling the "grit" between figure and thumb it was firm, would not smear out and had  a slight squashiness to it. I conclude it was "rubber" particles from the inside of fuel hoses.

Sounds reasonable.

However in my case there are no fuel hoses, as it is copper all the way from the tank to the lift pump and then the filter.

Could have originated from the delivery hoses of my supplying fuel boats though!

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

The question now is am I prepared to take it for a spin down the cut - or is there a danger it might die on me when several miles from the mooring.

Take both boats out, then you have a tow home available. 😃

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Take both boats out, then you have a tow home available. 😃

Yeah but....

There aren't that many places we can turn the 72 footer, so whilst a quick round trip of a few miles can be done  with Sickle, with Flamingo we would be forced go a lot further.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yeah but....

There aren't that many places we can turn the 72 footer, so whilst a quick round trip of a few miles can be done  with Sickle, with Flamingo we would be forced go a lot further.

An alternative might be for one of you to take Sickle on a cruise and the other person to track the boat in the car, maintaining phone contact for use in an emergency. Of course that still may mean having to go back in the car for Flamingo, in order to tow Sickle back to the mooring, it really depends on how confident you are that the matter has resolved itself.

Either way, I hope it all works out OK. If it does, can we assume that you will be bringing both boats to Braunston in June? At least there will be plenty of people on hand to help if the problem reccurs.

Edited by David Schweizer

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yeah but....

Simples...

If both boats are facing the same way then turn Sickle, then use her to tow Flamingo until you want to go back to base of or Sickle's problems return, then use Flamingo to tow Sickle back to base. 

• Greenie 1

We had similar sounding issues a few years ago. It was water in the diesel causing the engine to almost cut out intermittently then it would pick up finally stopping not far from you. Suggestion was that we use a Jerry can to bypass the tank but managed with the aid of RCR to  disconnect and work some of the dodgy fuel through. Got going and fuel polished at Calcutt , problem solved.

mention of the governor stuck......along these lines I suggest from the forementioned that the controll rack may be rusted and hard to move.....thius can also be a sign of water in the pumping units,causing much drag from rusting of the plunger /barrel of the actual pumping unit...................sooo....pull the side plate off the motor ,and see if the rack moves freely ,and also check that the spring that attaches to the rack hasnt broken or detached.