Sofa Bed suggestions / ideas?

Featured Posts

Hello,

I'm looking to get a sofabed for my narrowboat and wondering if you lovely folks have any suggestions that might fit the bill, or pointers on where to search. I have been on sofabedbarn but they are all just a bit tall for my gunnels. Ideally I would like the following:

1) Proper mattress rather than futon style - strong preference 

2) Double size bed - or near enough

3) Storage of some sort underneath, ideally drawer(s) - nice to have not a must

4) Arms - nice to have not a must

5)Wooden base/structure - far from a must, would be a bonus

6) 890mm tall max when in sofa mode - vital

Look forward to any ideas or pointers! I'm open to making something myself but as a last resort.

I wonder if sofabedbarn might make one a tiny bit lower? Most of theirs are 900mm minimum.

Thanks!

Tom

Edited by TitaniumSquirrel
Formatting/spelling

1 hour ago, TitaniumSquirrel said:

6) 890mm tall max when in sofa mode - vital

I wonder if sofabedbarn might make one a tiny bit lower? Most of theirs are 900mm minimum.

What is it that limits you to 89cm high?

If it is the gunnel height, the wooden part of the frame on mine (Belvedere), fits under the gunnel, and the cushion back is actually higher than the gunnel, but sits nicely in front of the gunnel. The cushion back is about 5cm higher than the top of the wooden frame - if that makes sense :) 

2 hours ago, PCSB said:

Got ours from here https://www.sofabedbarn.co.uk/18-narrowboat-seating

Need to assemble it onboard but easy enough. The Cantebury is very comfortable to sleep on and is plenty long enough (I'm 5' 11").

Yeah, I can't find any on there under 900mm tall though :(

57 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

What is it that limits you to 89cm high?

If it is the gunnel height, the wooden part of the frame on mine (Belvedere), fits under the gunnel, and the cushion back is actually higher than the gunnel, but sits nicely in front of the gunnel. The cushion back is about 5cm higher than the top of the wooden frame - if that makes sense :) 

Oh interesting, maybe I'll ask them further details on the frame height. You're right it's the gunnel height, that's really good to know yours fits! What's your floor to gunnel distance?

13 hours ago, PCSB said:

Got ours from here https://www.sofabedbarn.co.uk/18-narrowboat-seating

Need to assemble it onboard but easy enough. The Cantebury is very comfortable to sleep on and is plenty long enough (I'm 5' 11").

That is what we have. Excellent sofa and bed, comfortable as both.

Although the maximum height is fractionally higher than our gunwales, the cushions forming the back can be squashed under them.

11 hours ago, TitaniumSquirrel said:

Oh interesting, maybe I'll ask them further details on the frame height. You're right it's the gunnel height, that's really good to know yours fits! What's your floor to gunnel distance?

Lots (but not all...) of sofas (and sofabeds) are like that, the manufacturers quote the height to the highest point (usually the top of the back cushion) but any frame behind it is often lower, that's certainly the case for various sofas (not sofabeds) I've been looking at. If you can't go and see/measure one, I'm sure the manufacturers will supply the information if you ask them nicely 😉

11 hours ago, TitaniumSquirrel said:

If it helps, my floor to under edge on gunwale is 930mm, the height of the rear frame is 790mm (max) the rear part of the cushion (or matteress) extends well above this

12 hours ago, TitaniumSquirrel said:

My gunnel didn't limit things as it's higher than yours at about 95cm. In fact, I have actually raised my sofa by about 5cm.

I was merely pointing out that the frame is not the full height of the sofa, so "should" slide under your gunnel, with the back cushion not under the gunnel, but somewhat proud of it.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

If you can't go and see/measure one, I'm sure the manufacturers will supply the information if you ask them nicely 😉

I visited the factory where they have a small showroom, so was able to see them in the flesh. They were very helpful over the phone and, at the time I bought, they delivered, guaranteed to get it on board, and assembled it. Having said that, assembly didnt look difficult, and getting it on board, through the cratch and front door, was very simple and straightforward.

29 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I visited the factory where they have a small showroom, so was able to see them in the flesh. They were very helpful over the phone and, at the time I bought, they delivered, guaranteed to get it on board, and assembled it. Having said that, assembly didnt look difficult, and getting it on board, through the cratch and front door, was very simple and straightforward.

I too visited the factory. Michael was very helpful.

Ours was delivered during the covid restrictions. They took the component parts onto the boat, whilst I watched from outside, but I had to assemble it.

Assembly was a 5 minute job of bolting the clik-clak mechsanism onto the frame, tying the cushions to it and sliding the arms into their brackets. Only one spanner needed.

• Greenie 1