Red Port Navigation Lens.

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Arthur Beale stock the light from Timage - thus may be able to help with a lense??

I bought an Arthur Beale one to replace exactly the same glass Nav light after an argument with Dunhampstead tunnel wall when our tunnel light suddenly went out 50 yards in.

New replacement was also plastic I'm afraid.

And with the engine removed and stripped down ( I had plenty of practice), the cylinder block, which was lighter than the crankshaft,  could be taken to the engine reconditioners for a head skim on the carrier of my push-bike! 

But to return to the original topic, it's not just a matter of wavelength,  LED bulbs are not normally suitable for replacing  tungsten bulbs in fittings like the one in the photo that use refractive elements to determine beam configuration,  because  the refractive elements will have been designed for the essentially point source and omidirectional light emission characteristics of a filament located at a standardised  distance with respect to the lamp base. Not only is it not possible to make a compact omnidirectional LED light source that replicates an incandescent tungsten filament, the electonics and their heat sinks that are required to power a LED occupy too much space to fit between a lamp base and the  required point of light emission at the standardised distance. That is why you find that many mains LED candle bulb replacements are longer than the tungsten bulbs they have replaced, often  protrude beyond their shades rather than lying inside them, and throw little light towards their bases. .

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 1

I think the only glass ones your likely to find will be old stock gathering dust on a shelf somewhere, try phoning round as many chandlers as you can, the small independents are more likely to have an odd one knocking around, but it's possible some of the big boys with a web presence may still have a glass lense in the physical shop.

Or you could try ebay or boat jumbles for a second hand one (most likely as part of a complete unit)

Personaly I'd just use the plastic one.

• Greenie 1

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Enjoyed how topic morphed into discussion about Hillman Imp memories.

Friend had a California and it went like stink. Might have seemed fast as I had a 848cc Mini.

Regards and Thanks

Brian.

Thank you all for your help and advice but just to report I located a Port Navigation Light on E-Bay.

It has a chrome body, but as I'm only interested in the lens, it was a good find.

Regards and Thanks

Brian.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Brian422 said:

Thank you all for your help and advice but just to report I located a Port Navigation Light on E-Bay.

It has a chrome body, but as I'm only interested in the lens, it was a good find.

Regards and Thanks

Brian.

So now you can put the plastic lens in the chrome body and put it back on ebay!