Our HA2 air cooled Lister smokes badly if revved strongly

midnight cowboy

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, midnight cowboy said:

Hi

We get a lot of white smoke if we rev out LIster HA2 strongly - even after a full rebuild - any suggestions?

Thanks

What happens if you rev it to the same speed slowly?

Does it do in both in and out of gear?

You say rebuild, did that include professional attention to the injectors or were they just put back in?

I might have an answer if it was black or grey smoke, but white seems a bit unusual. However, it would be best to await someone with a lot more Lister experience than me.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Ours was rebuilt by a well known lister engine builder and we had a similar issue.

it seems the standard running in of gentle and slow was wrong.

On asking for help on arrival after basic checks were completed the engineer gave it a full blast italian decoke and at full revs it was clean as a whistle. ( once the smoke had cleared and birds stopped crashing out of the sky)

since then we have run it a bit harder and had several thrashes on rivers.

its much better.

i think there were ring bedding in issues.

in reality unless you are loaded and towing loaded its the lot of these engines. They dont get worked hard enough.

Wont be water  (steam) unless its in fuel

an ha2 is allergic to such antiquated cooling models.

When my Lister JP was relined etc the engineer showed me how to jam a piece of wood between the flywheel and the engine bed and told me to run the engine with it in place for a while. This put a decent load on the engine which the prop couldn't on its own, cleared it up no end.

Load load and more load which is what most canal boats don't get.

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

On an air cooled engine?!

If the exhaust is up through the roof rain will fill the manifold and soak into the silencer. If ignored it will run into one or two of the bores and rust the cylinders.

Lots of white smoke then!

Yar verily, forgot the HA is air cooled.. Don't mock the afflicted.

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

On an air cooled engine?!

Like the boat yard, who after sending in the invoice for a service on a Lister SR3, included costs for topping up with anti freeze. Never did find out where they apparently put it 🤷 

Just now, Liam said:

Like the boat yard, who after sending in the invoice for a service on a Lister SR3, included costs for topping up with anti freeze. Never did find out where they apparently put it 🤷 

Washer bottle?😄