Jump to content

Random poultry attack, you can’t make this up !


Featured Posts

Today in central Leicester, between PriorsMill and Castle Gardens two very large chicken/turkey breasts were thrown at our boat. One missed me by four feet, bouncing off the pigeon box , the other by yards, bouncing off the gangplank. 

I didn’t react, just kept looking ahead silently. 

This is not made up, be aware. I believe there was some stone throwers the other night in the same area.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, BD3Bill said:

Today in central Leicester, between PriorsMill and Castle Gardens two very large chicken/turkey breasts were thrown at our boat. One missed me by four feet, bouncing off the pigeon box , the other by yards, bouncing off the gangplank. 

I didn’t react, just kept looking ahead silently. 

This is not made up, be aware. I believe there was some stone throwers the other night in the same area.

 

Thats a shame as Leicester has been fairly incident free in recent years....in fact we have never had an issue either passing through or mooring for the day/night at Priors Mill. It might be worth phoning in on 101 & filling in an incident form on the CRT website just so plod et al have a log of such incidents....hopefully if enough do this then the might actually patrol the towpath occasionally.

 

It might only be a lark for kids but a stone or rock to the head could be very nasty indeed....not to mention damage to the boat etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Must be kids from well-off families: many people can't afford to throw poultry breasts away at the moment!

Have you left your Forge Farm mooring now, Bill?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, frangar said:

Thats a shame as Leicester has been fairly incident free in recent years....in fact we have never had an issue either passing through or mooring for the day/night at Priors Mill.

That's because you are so intimidating they are all frit of you, so they daren't  step out of line ;)

 

Edited by Loddon
Speeling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is something about Leicester and Poultry. We went through many years ago and saw several oven ready chickens and turkeys floating in the river.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, blackrose said:

 

Fresh or frozen?

Fresh... ish

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

Cooked or raw ?

See above 

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Probably has salmonella. There is a lot of it around at the moment

That’s for the fishes to find out... bounced off into the cut. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I like Leicester.

Me too. It’s my nearest city. It needs more boats to go through tho and use the moorings. It’s sad when incidents like this happen but to be fair they can happen all over……hence my call to report it so plod might put the doughnuts down and actually walk a beat from time to time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, frangar said:

Me too. It’s my nearest city. It needs more boats to go through tho and use the moorings. It’s sad when incidents like this happen but to be fair they can happen all over……hence my call to report it so plod might put the doughnuts down and actually walk a beat from time to time. 

I had a mooring in Abbey park some years ago, a proper residential one in fact with telefone line and council tax :o

Loved it there for a year before moving on. Some great nights out and often took a day boat out through belgrave lock along to the White Horse at Birstall, no risk for the driving licence then :)

The only place we were stoned on two seperate occasions was posh Thrupp lol and once at Knottingley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I had a mooring in Abbey park some years ago, a proper residential one in fact with telefone line and council tax :o

Loved it there for a year before moving on. Some great nights out and often took a day boat out through belgrave lock along to the White Horse at Birstall, no risk for the driving licence then :)

The only place we were stoned on two seperate occasions was posh Thrupp lol and once at Knottingley.

 

Never had an issue in Leicester, only time we were stoned was near Shipley.

 

All witnessed by the teacher of the kids doing it, they obviously hadnt spotted him on the towpath. Apparently a 'conversation' was to take place on the following Monday at school.

  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I had a mooring in Abbey park some years ago, a proper residential one in fact with telefone line and council tax :o

Loved it there for a year before moving on. Some great nights out and often took a day boat out through belgrave lock along to the White Horse at Birstall, no risk for the driving licence then :)

The only place we were stoned on two seperate occasions was posh Thrupp lol and once at Knottingley.

I'm shocked to my core! An ex policeman admitting that on a family forum👼

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Must be kids from well-off families: many people can't afford to throw poultry breasts away at the moment!

Have you left your Forge Farm mooring now, Bill?

Yes Mike, we’ve been at WFB nearly 3 years now. Still pop in and do some chainsaw work for GK occasionally. 

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I like Leicester.

It’s got potential, the locals were very friendly to be fair . And I won’t let a bit of “silly behaviour “ spoil our enjoyment of a brilliant trip round the Leicester Ring. Absolutely loved the River Soar. 

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

They may have thought you were poor starving itinerant boaters and thought they were being kind to you.😃

If they threw bags of coal instead that would work for me. 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

At least breasts will be boneless.

 

Reminds me of the problems Boeing (?) had windscreen testing.

Yes I’m sure I’ve seen footage of frozen turkeys being fired at planes, I didn’t feel that threatened!😂

The lads throwing raw meat at me are the boneless ones ...... I just wanted to warn less able bodied folk of the possibility. 👍

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Clanky said:

They might have been trying to fowl the prop? 🙄

No. I had something round my prop earlier in the trans Leicester journey but didn’t moan about it as our large(ish) prop seems to miraculously shred/shed stuff, and indeed it did. Which was nice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moored at Castle Gardens for 2 nights (Thursday & Friday), no problems apart from the noise of drunken people going around in the small hours. Wasn't so keen on the rubbish collected round the prop on our way down to Birstall and some of those locks let the water out faster than you can fill them. Birstall is in danger of becoming unusable: it has one ground paddle and one gate paddle working. If either fails it will be impossible to full the lock. Some other locks between Leicester and the Trent are as bad, in particular Kegworth and Ratcliffe; I could only make a level filling Ratcliffe by brute force using my full 100kg body mass to open an upper gate, such was the rate of leakage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, George and Dragon said:

Moored at Castle Gardens for 2 nights (Thursday & Friday), no problems apart from the noise of drunken people going around in the small hours. Wasn't so keen on the rubbish collected round the prop on our way down to Birstall and some of those locks let the water out faster than you can fill them. Birstall is in danger of becoming unusable: it has one ground paddle and one gate paddle working. If either fails it will be impossible to full the lock. Some other locks between Leicester and the Trent are as bad, in particular Kegworth and Ratcliffe; I could only make a level filling Ratcliffe by brute force using my full 100kg body mass to open an upper gate, such was the rate of leakage.

Can you message CRT about the state of the locks via customer services or twitter please....the reports get logged now and the more reports the more chance there is of getting stuff fixed...I know its a pain but otherwise it will never happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.