New member - looking for boat - wishlist opinions

chris.holden

Featured Posts

Hi, new member here, I've been hiring boats around the country for nearly 10 years but thinking of taking the plunge with my own boat.

I was going to post in the boats wanted section but figured since I'm scouring the brokerages daily anyway I'd be better seeking some feedback from the knowledgeable members here for my 'wishlist'. I know a lot of it is subjective and that I also shouldn't let it limit my choices if I find and like the look of something different, but it's good to start with what we think we're looking for right?

I have £40-£50K for a 38 foot - 58 foot leisure boat for 2 people, I don't mind a bit of work painting, tidying it up or reblacking but not a project boat.

Preferences:

• Trad/Semi Trad stern; shapely bow; would consider a tug if it didn't compromise space too much.
  • Undecided about more modern marine engine or older/Lister etc but I'd enjoy a bit of mechanical tinkering as much as silent running.
  • Solid electrical setup not a birds nest, but I can upgrade if required (batteries, inverter, solar etc.)
  • Not a pump out toilet - I would like to fit composting as it's not a live-aboard I can empty occasionally within the new CRT guidelines.
  • I'd prefer a tired 'orange pine' interior to a grey and white 'London boat'.
  • Portholes or if not a mix of windows, and a centre hatch would be nice.
  • Woodburner.
  • Not sure about loose furniture or built in dinette/L shaped seating in the living area.
  • Not sure about water heater - gas combi, Eberspacher, back boiler etc.

Any part of the country but could relocate it myself in stages to the Midlands as part of the adventure if prices are less much further up North.

Not asking for much am I?!? Any ideas? What have I forgotten? Examples/links, even if sold already, you think fit the bill to help me get an idea of condition for the price etc?

Edited by chris.holden
spelling

3 minutes ago, chris.holden said:

Hi, new member here, I've been hiring boats around the country for nearly 10 years but thinking of taking the plunge with my own boat.

I was going to post in the boats wanted section but figured since I'm scouring the brokerages daily anyway I'd be better seeking some feedback from the knowledgeable members here for my 'wishlist'. I know a lot of it is subjective and that I also shouldn't let it limit my choices if I find and like the look of something different, but it's good to start with what we think we're looking for right?

I have £40-£50K for a 38 foot - 58 foot leisure boat for 2 people, I don't mind a bit of work painting, tidying it up or reblacking but not a project boat.

Preferences:

• Trad/Semi Trad stern; shapely bow; would consider a tug if it didn't compromise space too much.
  • Undecided about more modern marine engine or older/Lister etc but I'd enjoy a bit of mechanical tinkering as much as silent running.
  • Solid electrical setup not a birds nest, but I can upgrade if required (batteries, inverter, solar etc.)
  • Not a pump out toilet - I would like to fit composting as it's not a live-aboard I can empty occasionally within the new CRT guidelines.
  • I'd prefer at tired 'orange pine' interior to a grey and white 'London boat'.
  • Portholes or if not a mix of windows, and a centre hatch would be nice.
  • Woodburner.
  • Not sure about loose furniture or built in dinette/L shaped seating in the living area.
  • Not sure about water heater - gas combi, Eberspacher, back boiler etc.

Any part of the country but could relocate it myself in stages to the Midlands as part of the adventure if prices are less much further up North.

Not asking for much am I?!? Any ideas? What have I forgotten? Examples/links, even if sold already, you think fit the bill to help me get an idea of condition for the price etc?

Beam?

Welcome to the forum, and happy hunting.

Have you looked at Hartington on Apollo Duck? A one-owner-from-new boat from a reputable builder, at what appears to be a fair price. At least, that's the first impression.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Welcome to the forum, and happy hunting.

Have you looked at Hartington on Apollo Duck? A one-owner-from-new boat from a reputable builder, at what appears to be a fair price. At least, that's the first impression.

Thanks. Do you have a link? I tried searching on the name but came up blank...

29 minutes ago, chris.holden said:

Thanks. Do you have a link? I tried searching on the name but came up blank...

I got the  wrong county: Harlington, not Hartington.

Look under Paul Barber on Apollo Duck and you'll find it, there are only three of his for sale.

Theres quite a few boats appearing at ABNB that seem to take a while to get on the website....it might be worth contacting them with your details and spec to see what they have both now and in the future....some are selling without even making the web.

38 minutes ago, frangar said:

Theres quite a few boats appearing at ABNB that seem to take a while to get on the website....it might be worth contacting them with your details and spec to see what they have both now and in the future....some are selling without even making the web.

Sound advice. Been looking for another boat for some time now, (not a steel narrowboat, but a grp cruiser) and although there have been three or four boats advertised ( on Facebook Marketplace) that on paper are suitable at the right price, they have gone before I can arrange a viewing.

Two went after one day and others after a couple of days.

It seems my requirements are the same as many other people's and I am not moving quickly enough.

There are of course boats on Facebook that have been there for several weeks, but that is usually because they are either overpriced, or are varying degrees of project.

Must try to get my backside into gear quicker!