Geese and goslings in a lock, heartless boater

Leemc

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Accidents happen.  I shared a broad lock breasted up once and failed to notice a family of young ducks going in with me. Not little ducklings,  more like juveniles. 

With me on the tiller and the other skipper on the paddles we were up and out quickly,  only then as I left the lock did I see the crushed, lifeless corpses of 2 young ducks spinning around in my wake.

Quack Quack ooops..

They do make good fenders though. 

If I had witnessed that your body would have joined them. 

I trust those saying it’s only an animal will apply the same rules to a child that had fallen in a lock….after all it’s only a child why care? Plenty more of them around. I despise some people on here more each day. 

Edited by frangar

3 hours ago, Ianws said:

Some of the language on here is pretty grim. Please don't use words you wouldn't think ok in conversation with your mother, wife, partner, daughter, granddaughter.

That’s more than slightly sexist! Most women I know would use far worse language than is in here…including the T word..(I would say twat but you may faint…)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

You're beginning to sound like Putin. Anger management might help?

What would help is people respecting that animals have the right to life and are just as important if not more so than humans. Some of the replies here might be meant to be in jest but they aren’t funny ….I have spent a great deal of my life trying to protect animals from various acts of cruelty by humans….yes it does make me angry but with good reason…sadly there are many who think that a human has a greater right to life. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

What would help is people respecting that animals have the right to life and are just as important if not more so than humans. Some of the replies here might be meant to be in jest but they aren’t funny ….I have spent a great deal of my life trying to protect animals from various acts of cruelty by humans….yes it does make me angry but with good reason…sadly there are many who think that a human has a greater right to life. 

... and there are many who care for animals without needing to threaten fellow humans.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Midnight said:

and there's me thinking you were just a loud mouthed, violent bully - may I humbly apologise for my mistake

Don’t cause suffering to animals then all will be fine.   However if you do then why is it wrong for there to be repercussions? Would it be ok in your mind?

It’s the same as those that see fit to eat pig….would they also feel the same eating their pet Labrador? Yet pigs are often deemed just as intelligent. Why attach different values? 

• Unimpressed 1

Blimey, cheers, nice friendly responses. Sorry I can’t bring you tales of murder and mayhem from the locks. But this is a canal forum to discuss things that occur on the water including etiquette and animal rescue.

Just like to add a few points: 

1) I wasn’t angry, just confused by actions of boater.

2) It was a narrow lock 

If you want to continue this pointless thread, would you enter a lock if people were waving and shouting at you not to?

It could’ve been a Labrador or a kid for all the notice they took.

I would stop, but then that’s probably me being a nouveau something.

Sorry to have wasted your time

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Leemc said:

If you want to continue this pointless thread, would you enter a lock if people were waving and shouting at you not to?

This is a good point. If your family are in the habit of waving and shouting because there is a bird, fish or amoeba in the lock, “cry wolf” will kick in and when there really is a good reason to shout and wave, you will be ignored as “it’s just that shouty family again”. So I would save your shouting and waving for a genuine emergency.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1

7 hours ago, frangar said:

If I had witnessed that your body would have joined them. 

I trust those saying it’s only an animal will apply the same rules to a child that had fallen in a lock….after all it’s only a child why care? Plenty more of them around. I despise some people on here more each day. 

why don't you read and try to comprehend the post.   where does it say that the boater was aware that he was sharing the lock with wildlife?

you are demonstrating that in reality you are the nasty one - too quick to judge and to ready to condemn on flimsy evidence.

This reminds me of a time when we were on a canal somewhere,  A swan was directly in front of our boat foraging for something that was under the water. As we approached it looked up, saw us coming then head/neck back down under the water to continue foraging . It was right by a pub and a group at a garden table were watching.

We knew the swan would move at the last minute like they always do, but they obviously didn't. They leapt up from their seats and I heard one of them say 'Get the boat's name and licence number so we can report him'. I'd love to have heard the reaction of the CRT person who received the 'complaint'. 

21 minutes ago, Leemc said:

Blimey, cheers, nice friendly responses. Sorry I can’t bring you tales of murder and mayhem from the locks. But this is a canal forum to discuss things that occur on the water including etiquette and animal rescue.

Just like to add a few points: 

1) I wasn’t angry, just confused by actions of boater.

2) It was a narrow lock 

I would stop, but then that’s probably me being a nouveau something.

Sorry to have wasted your time

Im afraid just as you found the A holes on the cut there are A holes on here too....probably in a higher concentration for some reason. ( Ive edited the descriptive words lest some have another fit of the vapours....)

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

why don't you read and try to comprehend the post.   where does it say that the boater was aware that he was sharing the lock with wildlife?

you are demonstrating that in reality you are the nasty one - too quick to judge and to ready to condemn on flimsy evidence.

If they are that unaware of whats happening around them then maybe they need to think about their actions...I wonder if they drive a car in their own little world too? Would you show the same attitude if it had been a near miss with say a child or a much loved family pet?

Edited by frangar

16 minutes ago, Leemc said:

If you want to continue this pointless thread,

I am sure that if you freally thought it pointless, then you would not be still contributing to it.

Indeed, it is far from pointless. We have seen....

- members expressing concern for the welfare of birds, which is good.

- members expressing sound common sense, which is good.

- a story in which a boat and some birds shared a lock but nothing untoward happened, which is good.

It is a pity that we had some negative comments about Canada geese. They are handsome creatures, and I find the sight and sound of a skein of them in flight quite thrilling.

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

This is a good point. If your family are in the habit of waving and shouting because there is a bird, fish or amoeba in the lock, “cry wolf” will kick in and when there really is a good reason to shout and wave, you will be ignored as “it’s just that shouty family again”. So I would save your shouting and waving for a genuine emergency.

So you have your definition of what is an emergency and everyone should comply with your guidelines now?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is a pity that we had some negative comments about Canada geese. They are handsome creatures, and I find the sight and sound of a skein of them in flight quite thrilling

Especially if one is on private land and have a shotgun or two and someone to load the guns for you 🤭

Edited by Loddon
  • Angry 1

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Im afraid just as you found the A holes on the cut there are A holes on here too....probably in a higher concentration for some reason. ( Ive edited the descriptive words lest some have another fit of the vapours....)

If they are that unaware of whats happening around them then maybe they need to think about their actions...I wonder if they drive a car in their own little world too? Would you show the same attitude if it had been a near miss with say a child or a much loved family pet?

you are really good at confusing apples with spacecraft.  twit !