Geese and goslings in a lock, heartless boater

Leemc

Featured Posts

Going down the Marple locks today and can't really believe what happened. A pair of geese had taken their brood into the lock ahead of us, it was ready and empty for boat going up. But my eldest was in process of enticing birds out of lock with food. Approaching boat took no notice of my wife and daughter shouting what was going on and went straight in. My daughter came back in tears( she's 25) to our boat because she couldn't look. The helm of boat shouted she couldn't stop because she might have bumped lock entrance. Somehow all the birds avoided boat and made it to back of lock, which was filled. 

Boat left lock and we enticed adult birds out with duck food and brood safely followed, before we entered lock to go down. CRT were there and someone who witnessed event was talking to them.

Their behaviour has been a bit of a dampener on a beautiful day on the canal, CRT volunteers were brilliant as there was an issue with one of the locks, which led to a bit of a delay. Wish I had been there I would have been more forceful and maybe stopped the boat entering the lock.

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If these were Canada Geese, they are considered by many to be an invasive foreign specie and vermin.

They were imported as a game bird for shooting but they are useless for this. They have become a pest and are culled frequently despite them recently being included on the protected bird register to the dismay of many.

They are noisy and dirty and eat far too much grass off the fields.

Very probably all correct however that is no reason for potentially crushing an adult or mincing a gosling or two.

• Greenie 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Oh, the irony....

So protecting animals is being a twat?? At least we know where you stand….sadly. Thankfully others are more caring than you. What a sad person you are. 

Shall I push you into a narrow lock then have a boat come in to see what happens and if you feel relaxed about it?  Quite happy to try it out 

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If these were Canada Geese, they are considered by many to be an invasive foreign specie and vermin.

They were imported as a game bird for shooting but they are useless for this. They have become a pest and are culled frequently despite them recently being included on the protected bird register to the dismay of many.

I can't imagine why they are protected, they are an absolute nuisance, but I'd not drown them in a lock. Some people are just plain ignorant.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, frangar said:

So protecting animals is being a twat?? At least we know where you stand….sadly. Thankfully others are more caring than you. What a sad person you are. 

Protecting them from what? A narrowboat approaching at 1mph? Are you having a laugh?

They were in no danger, none were harmed, QED.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

They are living creatures with a right to life. They quack, they cr*p, they aren't particularly friendly, but I love chatting to them as I walk down the towpath.

Just now, Victor Vectis said:

Yes, Canada goslings are very sweet.

But they grow up to be 'orrible adult Canada geese.

Fyling sh1t machines!

Even so they have a right to life. 

I just hold that trying to squash one with a narrowboat is doomed to failure. 

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes, Canada goslings are very sweet.

But they grow up to be 'orrible adult Canada geese.

Fyling sh1t machines and not even good eating (or so I am told)

The Protected species thing is supposed to protect  the population, it stops folks robbing nests of the rarer birds, but no chance of Canada Geese being shot out of existence.

Whether or not they are a protected species does not make it legal to subject any animal to cruelty.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Even so they have a right to life. 

I just hold that trying to squash one with a narrowboat is doomed to failure. 

I remember at Big Lock, Middlewich, turning up to find people stressed about swans having spent the night in the bottom of the lock. 
I opened the one of the gates and they swam out. 
Twits. 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I remember at Big Lock, Middlewich, turning up to find people stressed about swans having spent the night in the bottom of the lock. 
Twits. 

There is a swan by my boat tonight. Amazingly and frangar may not believe it, but the swan got out of the water all by itself before I could smash it up with my 68ft narrowboat, dammit. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

There is a swan by my boat tonight. Amazingly and frangar may not believe it, but the swan got out of the water all by itself before I could smash it up with my 68ft narrowboat, dammit. 

Are the banks about 10ft high near your boat? Does your boat fill all the available water space? Try thinking before you post…I know that might be tricky for you. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Are the banks about 10ft high near your boat? Does your boat fill all the available water space? Try thinking before you post…I know that might be tricky for you. 

You can have the last word, as I know you need it. 

• Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Twits. 

Last year down on the HNC a pair of geese had offspring. On one of the local Facebook groups a woman was so concerned they would starve to death, as the towpath was a foot or so higher than the water and she thought they couldn’t get out, that she arranged a group of likeminded people to go and feed them in a rota. How nature survives without these people is beyond me.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Favourite recipe?

I’ve nice winter pot for the stove. 

There’s a thought : is it like road kill?

Only the boat behind you could claim the dead bird?

I had a lovely brace of roadkill pheasants for Christmas lunch on mebote a few years ago....