Closing Lock Gates

Featured Posts

According to someone delivering an Aqualine Marine Widebeam boat you do not have to close lock gates.  This for them has been the case for over a hundred miles.  Aqualine do not seem to be bothered about it but everyone else having to do his job for him seem to be.   Is it me or are Aqualine Marine employies or there contractors excempt form common decency? 

3 minutes ago, phillyfish said:

According to someone delivering an Aqualine Marine Widebeam boat you do not have to close lock gates.  This for them has been the case for over a hundred miles.  Aqualine do not seem to be bothered about it but everyone else having to do his job for him seem to be.   Is it me or are Aqualine Marine employies or there contractors excempt form common decency? 

I would say they were correct if another boat was waiting to enter the lock.

4 minutes ago, phillyfish said:

No it's some Testo-di-catso spouting off. The rules apply to everybody...

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I would say they were correct if another boat was waiting to enter the lock.

True, but in the majority of cases there hasn't been anyone waiting to go in.  only people behind him doing his job for him as they follow him.

1 minute ago, phillyfish said:

True, but in the majority of cases there hasn't been anyone waiting to go in.  only people behind him doing his job for him as they follow him.

Which waterway, which locks?

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Which waterway, which locks?

we have been affected by this from Lock 7 on the Grand Union to Lock 72.  Others here have been behind him for longer.

I wonder if Aqualine are aware of the bad name this is giving them.  I know other boaters have phoned in to Aqualine but

the behaviour has not changed at all.  So do they not care?

2 minutes ago, phillyfish said:

So do they not care?

Sorry I don't know the answer to that particular question. I don't work for them.

Not a part of the system I have used since my first canal holiday in 1976,  but in the late 1970's I recall reading in a canal mag that it was often the practice on the southern GU to leave gates open when leaving locks. We always closed ours after us unless meeting boats going the other way. 

11 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Not a part of the system I have used since my first canal holiday in 1976,  but in the late 1970's I recall reading in a canal mag that it was often the practice on the southern GU to leave gates open when leaving locks. We always closed ours after us unless meeting boats going the other way. 

Hence my earlier question.

Lock 7 is Buckby top lock, hasn't been custom to leave gates open there since the end of regular carrying.

There is a theory that on the river fed sections of the southern GU that gates can be left open but the over-riding requirement is to close gates unless there is a notice to the opposite effect.

Any boat mover that does not accord to the regulations and requests of the navigation authority is not a professional. The standard should be higher than that of other boaters.

In respect of @Grassman's comment above are you sure the notice was to leave the gates open rather than to leave the lock empty? In any case I think most of the locks which such notices are further south than lock 72.

According to what's written on FaceAche, he doesn't suggest that other boats shouldn't close the gates, just that as he's a commercial boater he doesn't have to.

Seems like prize pillock to me, and my response, after a short burst of well aimed profanity, would be to moor up until a few boats were between me and him, simply to avoid the aggravation. Unless, of course, you could get just in front of him and return the compliment. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

If he is a commercial boat mover I would be reporting him to CRT.

Yes and also the company that have employed him.

If Aqualine get enough complaints about him then hopefully they will stop using him.

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

But is it known the mover is employed by the builder?

Good point, I assumed that because the OP mentioned Aqualine it was being delivered to one of their customers.

(I know assume makes as ass out of u and me).

8 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Are they leaving both sets of gates open? 😀

I get asked once in a while why I mess about going in, closing the gates, then opening them at the opposite end. Why don't I just open all the gates and drive the boat straight through? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I get asked once in a while why I mess about going in, closing the gates, then opening them at the opposite end. Why don't I just open all the gates and drive the boat straight through? 

They sort of do this on the Nene in flood, except the bottom gates are a guillotine. I'm sure at least one boat has been through a set in this condition. If it survived the ride is another matter!

9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

According to what's written on FaceAche, he doesn't suggest that other boats shouldn't close the gates, just that as he's a commercial boater he doesn't have to.

I was waiting to hear that pathetic excuse

2 hours ago, MtB said:

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

They sort of do this on the Nene in flood, except the bottom gates are a guillotine. I'm sure at least one boat has been through a set in this condition. If it survived the ride is another matter!

Do it on the Great Ouse too-this is just downstream to where I moor.

20220514_191925.jpg