Sunken boat Cov canal

tree monkey

Featured Posts

Atherstone side of bridge 51 a boat has sunk, its arse end is sticking into the main channel but it is navigable, there's also a fair amount of diesel in the water.

CRT are aware and were trying to stem the diesel spillage when I passed.

According to shouted conversation it was a newly bought boat, nobody was hurt and it sank because it struck a rock which holed the Hull.

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 2

Blimey, how fast must they have been going to hit a rock and rupture the hull?!

Seems highly unlikely on reflection. As new boaters (presumably), I think they might be just guessing at reasons. Desperately unfortunate all the same.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Seems highly unlikely on reflection. As new boaters (presumably), I think they might be just guessing at reasons. Desperately unfortunate all the same.

Pure speculation but it was an old boat, so possibly bought with loads of hope but little experience.

The chap, who wasn't the owner, said they were winding when it struck something, which means if true they travelled a fair distance with a hole in the hull

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Pure speculation but it was an old boat, so possibly bought with loads of hope but little experience.

The chap, who wasn't the owner, said they were winding when it struck something, which means if true they travelled a fair distance with a hole in the hull

Small boats can wind without going to the winding hole

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Bought by uninformed buyer without a survey? Paper thin bottom and all it takes is a large rock or a shopping trolley.

Was just thinking that, especially when someone commented more new buyers are getting surveys post purchase.

All speculation at the minute, but it is Friday the 13th though.

Edited by PD1964

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Small boats can wind without going to the winding hole

It wasn't that small.

It was, or still is, a springer and looked like it was mid way through a refit.

Anyway, CRT have done the oil adsorption dam thing and it's passable.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Bought by uninformed buyer without a survey? Paper thin bottom and all it takes is a large rock or a shopping trolley.

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Was just thinking that, especially when someone commented more new buyers are getting surveys post purchase.

All speculation at the minute, but it is Friday the 13th though.

The metal must have been very thin to be holed by a rock or shopping trolley!

It is an old Springer though.

The problem with arranging a survey on a new purchase, is the time it can take. Booking a surveyor, and dry dock/lift out to coincide, can be weeks or even months.In the meantime someone who takes a risk may buy the boat without a survey, and have the survey later for full insurance cover.

Probably what this chap intended.

26 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

The metal must have been very thin to be holed by a rock or shopping trolley!

Even very thin metal will keep the water out as long as its undisturbed. But the momentum of a few tons of boat travelling at 3mph could easily be enough to allow an unfortunately located rock or shopping trolley or other robust object to penetrate.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

I think that is entirely dependent on how thick the hull is😀.

Shows the value of a survey for the inexperienced.

If it's the big red oxide coloured springer built about 1975 in my estimation that previously was moored at Alvecote for many , many months, it's such a terrible shame for the new owners. It really was a big project, but I noticed that their was quite a bit of internal fitting going on and window replacements etc in the last month or so. It was also licensed for the first time according to the  badge in the window.

Only last week I noticed they had moved the boat to just past the priory to continue working on it.

Fingers crossed it can be salvaged and the repairs continue very quickly

30 minutes ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

If it's the big red oxide coloured springer built about 1975 in my estimation that previously was moored at Alvecote for many , many months, it's such a terrible shame for the new owners. It really was a big project, but I noticed that their was quite a bit of internal fitting going on and window replacements etc in the last month or so. It was also licensed for the first time according to the  badge in the window.

Only last week I noticed they had moved the boat to just past the priory to continue working on it.

Fingers crossed it can be salvaged and the repairs continue very quickly

It is mainly painted grey, but of course that may be recent 

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

Even very thin metal will keep the water out as long as its undisturbed. But the momentum of a few tons of boat travelling at 3mph could easily be enough to allow an unfortunately located rock or shopping trolley or other robust object to penetrate.

When they shotblasted mine prior to resteeling, we found you could see clean through the hull at the back, like lacework. It was only the bitumen keeping the water out.

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

Some of the over plating I recently took off was almost paper thin in places.

I’m sure it could have lasted longer before disintegrating, but if I’d hit something it would have easily pierced and the boat would have sank.

40 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Cheers for the heads up @tree monkey

Just looking at that and both bulkheads seem to have dropped out and parted company from the cabin sides too. Wont make it any easier to pump out.

20220514_104646.jpg

It's always sad to see, I did notice at least the front bulkhead but couldn't work out what had happened 

53 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Cheers for the heads up @tree monkey

Just looking at that and both bulkheads seem to have dropped out and parted company from the cabin sides too. Wont make it any easier to pump out.

20220514_104646.jpg

So hole in the hull or a leaking stern tube / weedhatch which just took the back down until water topped the rear bulkhead (or got through holes in it)?

The whole thing is completely bizarre. I don't think the story holds water at all having seen the photos. There is obviously more going on than we know about, given the fallen-in bulkhead and that mis-placed cratch board. And boats simply don't sink when 'hitting a rock'. 

I'm wondering if insurance fraud is some sort of possibility. 

It looks to me as if it has 'broken its back' where the front bulkheads are, the crack / break has gone full width (maybe where plates were joined ?) the bow has kicked-upwards and the bulkheads have dropped thru' the bottom of the hull.

If that is how it is sat, that is going to be a b***er of a recovery.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It looks to me as if it has 'broken its back' where the front bulkheads are, the crack / break has gone full width (maybe where plates were joined ?) the bow has kicked-upwards and the bulkheads have dropped thru' the bottom of the hull.

If that is how it is sat, that is going to be a b***er of a recovery.

Think steel top with wooden ends more likely. 

Or not welded anyhow

20220514_152228.jpg

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

Is it my eyesight or has it got two chimneys suggesting a cut and shut . Orr is one a vent? Hard to tell on my phone

The middle one looks like a flue for a gas heating system.