Is it just me ?

Opener

Featured Posts

Latest from CRT:

Notice Alert

Leeds & Liverpool Canal
Location: Duck Race, Appley Bridge, Finch Mill swing bridge 43

Is it just me or does the concept of a 'race' using the natural flow of water in a canal sound somewhat bizarre.

Signed 'a cynic'

Just now, Opener said:

Latest from CRT:

Notice Alert

Leeds & Liverpool Canal
Location: Duck Race, Appley Bridge, Finch Mill swing bridge 43

Is it just me or does the concept of a 'race' using the natural flow of water in a canal sound somewhat bizarre.

Signed 'a cynic'

Very bizarre indeed - the duck race is going upstream on the water flow ...

It's the direction of the prevailing wind if that helps, and the support boats will be squirting hosepipes to speed up the stragglers.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Very bizarre indeed - the duck race is going upstream on the water flow ...

It's the direction of the prevailing wind if that helps, and the support boats will be squirting hosepipes to speed up the stragglers.

Isn't that rather cruel to the poor ducks? 😉

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Not as bad as painting numbers on them was. 

Some people have no idea how to look after plastic ducks ...

Which is why I gave mine away...

As to duck races, yup it is odd but so is cheese rolling, pancake races and all the quite frankly bizzare things that are considered entertainment in most village fetes,  fab 😀 

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

As to duck races, yup it is odd but so is cheese rolling, pancake races and all the quite frankly bizzare things that are considered entertainment in most village fetes,  fab 😀 

A duck race is a thing that kids, including my granddaughter absolutely love. Long may such stuff continue.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not as bad as painting numbers on them was. 

Some people have no idea how to look after plastic ducks ...

A plastic duck isn't just for Race Day

Edited by Mike Todd

A duck race is well suited to a river, they've been doing one in Holmfirth since i was a nipper, good day out for the family when they make a go of it with beer tent, band etc. (we seemed to get Black Lace every year of the 80's).

Not sure a canal is the place for it unless it has plenty of flow.

9 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

You can't beat a good welly wang :D 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

A duck race is well suited to a river, they've been doing one in Holmfirth since i was a nipper, good day out for the family when they make a go of it with beer tent, band etc. (we seemed to get Black Lace every year of the 80's).

Not sure a canal is the place for it unless it has plenty of flow.

There used to be a duck race over the ponty aqueduct, sufficient flow with the added thrill of dying if the spectators got too enthusiastic  :)

• Greenie 1

My usual answer to anything that begins with "Is it just me?" is Yes it is. 😀

19 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

There used to be a duck race over the ponty aqueduct, sufficient flow with the added thrill of dying if the spectators got too enthusiastic  :)

I'm guessing that is the spectators dying, as ducks can fly.

You don't seem to see so many duck races these days. The popularity of the sport has never really got over the race fixing and doping scandals.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I've been inspired by recent discussions to invent the sport of pensioner bowling. 

This involves setting up nine pensioners at the end of a shopping mall (the 'pins'), and the competitors drive directly at the 'pins' on an illegal e-scooter at full speed.

The winner is the one who knocks over the most pensioners in a single run. 

Extra points for any handbags nicked on the way past.

Some people may think this a cruel sport, but I think its about time Britain's pensioners stepped up to the plate and started contributing to sport and culture in our jaded society. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I've been inspired by recent discussions to invent the sport of pensioner bowling. 

This involves setting up nine pensioners at the end of a shopping mall (the 'pins'), and the competitors drive directly at the 'pins' on an illegal e-scooter at full speed.

The winner is the one who knocks over the most pensioners in a single run. Extra points for any handbags nicked on the way past.

I think it about time Britain's pensioners stepped up to the plate and started contributing to sport and culture in our jaded society. 

Reminds me of that film, "Bowling for Ovaltine" ...

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Reminds me of that film, "Bowling for Ovaltine" ...

I just think that for too long we've let them all stay at home, deciding whether to freeze or to starve. 

We can solve the misery of pensioner indecision at a stroke, whilst providing entertainment for our inner city shoppers on their way to the local food bank.

Surely its a win-win.

Edited by Tony1

8 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

The winner is the one who knocks over the most pensioners in a single run. 

Extra points for any handbags nicked on the way past.

Some people may think this a cruel sport, but I think its about time Britain's pensioners stepped up to the plate and started contributing to sport and culture in our jaded society. 

And much amusement would be had I am sure, the only issue I have is I am rapidly approaching the age where I would be the target rather than the driver, could we arm the old farts to even the odds a little?

Just now, tree monkey said:

And much amusement would be had I am sure, the only issue I have is I am rapidly approaching the age where I would be the target rather than the driver, could we arm the old farts to even the odds a little?

Walking stick and electric scooter jousting?

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sounds reasonable, maybe tailor the armaments to the old farts working life...

Counts the chainsaws, axes, silky saws and the small collection of "rescue" knifes 

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Were I to be carrying my pointed walking pole I can suggest who might come off worse . . . (Why do you think I need one when walking a towpath?)

21 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

My dear Mr Monkey, fear not.

A mere dab of grecian 2000 will turn my luscious grey locks to deep black, and I shall strut the city centre streets without fear of the pensioner roundups. 

This new sport could be rather dangerous for many of our own esteemed members, but that's a risk I have to take.

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's OK, the emergency services have it in hand.

IMG_20190901_131332.jpg.07a36b73d389148496d1290352374d03.jpg

I trust that the man with the hose is disqualified from participating since he would otherwise be tempted to 'assist' only his own duck.

I think we should be told!!

• Greenie 1