New Sailaway or old boat?

stuart

Featured Posts

I originally started to consider buying an older boat to strip out (looked at a springer http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=73)

and then re-fit to my taste and style.

Budget is limited and I quite fancy a new DIY project (now the house is done!) and I'm thinking about a sailaway (engine & shell).

A few quotes for a smallish narrow (35-38ft) boat put this around £19K. Thats okay but obviously theres hell of a lot more work that needs to be done.

What I'm wondering is it worth spending a little extra on a new boat, rather than an older one (and the time taken of stripping interior, servicing engine, fixing bottom etc.) and purchase a new sailaway.

To summarise:

Down side of buying a sailaway

# More expensive (old boat will already have pumps, wiring, toilet, kitchen etc. although some may need repair/replacement)

# Lead time may be long

# Need to get boat craned/slipped into water and/or sail it 'home' (mooring is already sorted out!)

Up side of buying a sailaway

# Brand new shell - no need to repair hull

# Probably dont need to spend money on a survey?

# No need to strip out boat

# Resale value should be better? (do you have any experience of this?)

# I can choose exactly what I want to put into the boat?

Ideas and comments please!

firstly Stuart it depends on how far your budget will stretch. Perhaps it would go further with the sailaway as you would have more time to do it.

Obviously you will have to assess your own diy competence as well, it is a multi-skilled job.

Don't underestimate the time it will take to fit out a sailaway (or for that matter to rip out & refit an old hull, but you will finish up with a boat with much higher value or one htat will last you happily 20+ years.

Graham booth's book on fitting out would be indispensible, and could also give you an idea of total cost.

Then there is what type of sailaway: ordinary, lined or lined plus. The last of these would be fully lined with electrics and possibly some plumbing partly done, but obviously the more you have done the more it will cost.

I'm currently giving serious thought to getting a lined sailaway for my next boat. If you keep it for 5 years you get round the RCD problems, and it is not unusual to come across "owner fitouts" so it will still be saleable, providing the work is done to a reasonable standard.

An old boat will always be an old boat, even if you have stripped it out and refitted it. A sailaway starts as a new boat, and will you really save that much if you are going to strip out most of the interior of an old boat?

Don't underestimate the amount of time it will take though. I'm reliably informed that, assuming you have a full-time job, three years is the typical time it takes to fully complete the project.

Why limit yourselves to Used boats and Sailaways. Only a few years ago it was common for people to do a real D I Y project, it is rare now. Buy a shell, an engine and other bits and pieces including half a forest of timber. After a paultry 3 or 4 years of unremitting toil you will have a boat that you can honestly describe as 'Your Own'.

In terms of quantity of work the job is quite daunting, technically it is within the capabilities of most people, what you don't know, you will learn as you go along.

The resale value will be every bit as good as that of a proffesional builder, what the boat may lack in styling detail it will make up for in quality of material and durability.

Buy a second-hand boat and you will be buying a lot of stuff that you know very well, will eventually will be dumped in a skip. When you have done that, you will be left with an old boat and an old engine for very little less money than if you had bought new.

John Squeers.

Edited by John Orentas

I agree with John.

I bought a secondhand 20 year old boat.

The stripping out and throwing away work is considerable and in my opinion does not compensate for the few bits that are salvageable.

I suppose it depends on the price of the boat and whether you wish to liveaboard whilst undertaking the work.

I am stuck with having to finish the job now! :rolleyes:

As usual your comments are sound. I already have a copy of "the book" and would definately recommend everyone gets a copy - really detailed if slightly outdated. Link To Amazon 1870002717.02._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I expect that this sort of project would take many months to complete.

I'm slightly lucky in that Im fairly good at DIY - fitted out most of a house kitchen/bathroom including electrics and plumbing (even gas but dont tell CORGI!) .

I've also got most of the power tools required etc. The A-Level electronics will come in handy as well!

The other bonus is that I'm looking to buy the boat 50:50 with a friend so we can share and hopefully half the workload and obviously the fun and adventuere as well!

Suppose better decide if a cruiser or semi-trad is the best for us now!

Edited by stuart

We are just finishing our first fit out starting with a foamed and battened sailaway. It is challenging and everyone you speak to has a different approach, so in the end you have to decide for yourself. We found that the lineout was one of the quicker/easier jobs and certainly was worthwhile in terms of money saved. It is the "finishing off" jobs that take the time! At the end of the day though it isn't rocket science-yes we made several mistakes but we will know better on the next one. We took a lot of advice off the company who supplied the shell, and input on this forum.

We are just finishing our first fit out starting with a foamed and battened sailaway.  It is challenging and everyone you speak to has a different approach, so in the end you have to decide for yourself.  We found that the lineout was one of the quicker/easier jobs and certainly was worthwhile in terms of money saved.  It is the "finishing off" jobs that take the time!  At the end of the day though it isn't rocket science-yes we made several mistakes but we will know better on the next one. We took a lot of advice off the company who supplied the shell, and input on this forum.

You should post some pictures of your finished masterpiece. :rolleyes:

We chose a secondhand boat (Tafelberg, Tafelberg, plug plug)

Really for speed. We needed to move from house to boat straight away.

My neighbour here had his boat built from new and had quite a few problems. I think its really pros and cons and if you have the time. Like any building project it always works out longer and more expensive than you think

Paul

Think of a number and double it! It wasn't that bad actually but we will be going a little over budget by the time we complete. Of course we have changed and added things as the job progressed. Our previous boat was secondhand and somewhat neglected-we made a bit on it when sold and this was the cost (roughly) of fitting out our shell.

Think I'm sold on a new sailaway.

I'm tempted to buy a sailaway from Lymm Marina Boat Sales. Anyone used them?

45ft sailaway (floored and engine etc.) for £21k. Includes BetaMarine 28hp engine.

Seems like a good price to me - will have a trip up next weekend to see what the hull is like and the finish on the welding etc.

What should I be looking for on a sailaway boat (finish wise?)

Of course, there are good and less good sailaways!

Be selective in your choice of builder and see some of their earlier work too.

A good second hand boat could be better than a new shell if the shell builder is not up to scratch.

As regards reselling...

Your boat will be second hand when you sell it, whether or not you bought it new.

There is little difference between second hand or third hand once you have decided against buying new.

Edited by Martin

Stuart.

I could be wrong but I don't think they build shells, I have a friend who bought a sailaway from Liverpool Boats, he actually collected his boat from Lymn Marina who had done the linning out. It is a good job as far as it goes. The shell is a 57 ft cruiser, the new style with central rear door and siliding hatch.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas