Napton lock 10

nicky79

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Edit to add photo of Lock 10 and stuck boat. Also if you search this forum you will see several posts about lock 10

Dxfmgdd.jpg

Unless my calculations are wrong - 1 at Suttons, 2-7 at Hillmorton- that's 9, not 10. Second lock up which had the towpath side rebuilt three(?) years ago.

3 hours ago, davidg said:

Unless my calculations are wrong - 1 at Suttons, 2-7 at Hillmorton- that's 9, not 10. Second lock up which had the towpath side rebuilt three(?) years ago.

I thought this thread was saying it was the third lock up at Napton, ie the one above the lock that was widened, that was now causing an issue.

So that third lock up is lock 10, it was lock 9 that was widened.  However I am confused though,  as the above photo looks to be of lock 9, due to the bridge in the background, so if that’s the case this is all talking about an issue that no longer exists.

8 hours ago, davidg said:

You could be right, its a silly numbering system IMO If Napton bottom was one you would know where you are

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

IMO If Napton bottom was one you would know where you are

Aren't flights usually numbered from the top lock downwards?

This is different to the lock numbers, for example lock one on Wigan is lock 65 on the L&L.

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

This is different to the lock numbers, for example lock one on Wigan is lock 65 on the L&L.

Don't think so. For example, the Calcutt flight is 1 to 3 and then the Stockton flight starts with number 4.

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Hatton Top = 46 Hatton Bottom = 26

Marsworth Top = 45 Marsworth Bottom = 39

whereas

Buckby Top = 7 Buckby Bottom = 13

Audlem Top = 1 Audlem Bottom = 15

Bunbury Top = 15 Bunbury Bottom = 14

Lapworth Top = 2 Lapworth Bottom 24

as random examples.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Hatton Top = 46 Hatton Bottom = 26

Marsworth Top = 45 Marsworth Bottom = 39

whereas

Buckby Top = 7 Buckby Bottom = 13

Audlem Top = 1 Audlem Bottom = 15

Bunbury Top = 15 Bunbury Bottom = 14

Lapworth Top = 2 Lapworth Bottom 24

as random examples.

So what are the flight lock numbers? 

Again, as you quoted, this is nothing to do with the canal lock numbering.

If I said eg Buckby lock number two would you think I was referring to lock 8 or lock 12?

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

314F64D2-CC2D-4AA3-A132-7A1D6D9C2B05.jpeg

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Again, this is nothing to do with the canal lock numbering.

If I said eg Buckby lock number two would you think I was referring to lock 8 or lock 12?

On some canals the locks are numbered by flight. On others they are numbered sequentially from one end of the canal to the other.

I still get confused boating the Droitwich Barge Canal, as during the restoration we always referred to them as Lock 1 at Ladywood, down to Lock 8 at Hawford, but when BW took over the completion of the restoration they numbered them up from Hawford!

We had a bit of trouble coming down No9 a few weeks back, not stuck, just so much water was coming down from No10 and the boat descending it that we couldn’t open the bottom gates. It was just cascading over the gates into our lock and the better half also couldn't walk across to the offside for fear of losing her footing, not to mention wet shoes :) 

Now makes me wonder if they were stuck and trying to flush themselves out?

On 11/05/2022 at 11:49, ditchcrawler said:

As I said, oversized, or bent boats often get stuck at Napton, the last one I saw had his fenders down. I have known a boat to fit going one way and not the other, so had to go back up, backwards
Edit to add photo of Lock 10 and stuck boat. Also if you search this forum you will see several posts about lock 10

Dxfmgdd.jpg

I think people in this thread had jumped to the conclusion that this photo is of the boat in question, stuck in the lock in question. It isn't so I'm not sure why the photo was posted.

It can't be the incident in the OP as the OP says they got stuck entering the lock, not leaving it as per this photo. Unless they were entering it backwards. 

From the OP:

"We have recently got stuck in  Napton Lock 10 where we got 3 quarters in and then our front end got stuck ."

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Again, as you quoted, this is nothing to do with the canal lock numbering.

Probably the majority (certainly, many) of flight locks do not have distinct numbering - thankfully as having both a canal lock number and a flight number would be most confusing, at least for those of Paddington-like brains.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I think people in this thread had jumped to the conclusion that this photo is of the boat in question, stuck in the lock in question. It isn't so I'm not sure why the photo was posted.

It can't be the incident in the OP as the OP says they got stuck entering the lock, not leaving it as per this photo. Unless they were entering it backwards. 

From the OP:

"We have recently got stuck in  Napton Lock 10 where we got 3 quarters in and then our front end got stuck ."

As I said earlier I went down the flight around the time of the incident. Indeed, I was delayed slightly by it. I was told by several people that it happened in lock 10. I moored up between 8 and 9 and at that time the OP was moored behind me pointing upstream. I'm intrigued as to where they were craned out. Napton Boats?

10 hours ago, MtB said:

From the OP:

I am sorry, I posted a photo of a boat stuck in the Napton flight in what I thought was the lock in question. I didn't say it was the boat in question,  

• Happy 1