Napton lock 10

nicky79

Featured Posts

We have recently got stuck in  Napton Lock 10 where we got 3 quarters in and then our front end got stuck . called RCR out who then contacted CRT .Rcr got us out after a lot of struggling and said it was a problem with the lock. CRT then said it was a problem with our boat and told us to turn around.  To cut a long story short we had to have our narrowboat craned out and moved to our new mooring costing us over £2000, but we did get to have a look underneath and she is perfect at 50ft with a draft of 2.2.

My question is does anyone know if there is any compensation I can get from CRT and how I should go about it. Many Thanks In Advance

Your boat must be wider than all the other boats that go through that lock every year.   How wide is it?

I think trying to get compensation would be a waste of time.  Remember that the only people to make money from litigation are lawyers. 

This is one issue we have most recent survey says 6.10 but sur

veys done in the 90s say 7

Crt Did say some of the bricks had moved in the bottom and one was sticking out at the side but as it was a bank holiday and Easter weekend they didn't seem enthusiastic

We were heading up the locks and had already gone through 2 of the flight Yes ythere was a gap all the way round small though but you could see where the boat had lifted and we were off the bottom we were 3 quarters of the way in

2 minutes ago, nicky79 said:

you could see where the boat had lifted

So were you stuck on the bottom or at the sides? A boat drawing 2ft 2in will only get stuck on the bottom if it has grounded on some fairly large object, which CRT should be willing and able to remove reasonably quickly. Some delay to your trip, but no reason to be craned round.

CRT said our over plating must have come unlodged and that they could not help us. 1 other boat also got stuck after us but as they were coming down the locks they were flushed through by CRT. I don't feel I'm owed compensation I was just enquiring as I thought these sites were for helpful advice Vectis.

As it happens I came down through lock 10 Napton hours after you had issues. I experienced no difficulties. As it also happens I moored a couple of boats down from you for the next 48 hours. Boats were up and down the flight all of the time and no one else experienced any  obvious issues. I winded below the bottom lock and went up, again without difficulty. Fact facts, either there was a temperary glitch ( they happen on a 250 year old system) or your boat is too fat. Why should I have to pay you compensation cos that's what would happen if CRT coughed up.

PS I winded and went back up as my batteries suddenly and inexplicably failed and I had to return to my mooring. Who do I claim compensation from?

Edited by Slim

I would have thought you would need to have accurate measurements of your boat to try and make any claim and your measurements would have to show that the boat fits in the documented sizes for the lock.  I know someone who has spent a few years trying to claim for having to get their boat craned over a lock because it got stuck and I don't believe they have had any success.

Sorry but why did you need craning out if you were able to get back down to the bottom. I have seen boats stuck in that lock before, normally they have fenders down , spread a bit with age or a little bit banana shaped 

1 hour ago, nicky79 said:

CRT said our over plating must have come unlodged and that they could not help us. 1 other boat also got stuck after us but as they were coming down the locks they were flushed through by CRT. I don't feel I'm owed compensation I was just enquiring as I thought these sites were for helpful advice Vectis.

Then why did you ask "does anyone know if there is any compensation I can get from CRT"?

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry but why did you need craning out if you were able to get back down to the bottom. < snip >

I'm wondering that too.

Advice is freely given here but it is also a discussion forum.

Edited by Victor Vectis

2 hours ago, nicky79 said:

My question is does anyone know if there is any compensation I can get from CRT and how I should go about it. Many Thanks In Advance

Hopefully there isn't. I'd say if any compensation was due, it would be from your boat builder for flogging you a boat that doesn't fit through lock 10 at Napton.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry but why did you need craning out if you were able to get back down to the bottom. I have seen boats stuck in that lock before, normally they have fenders down , spread a bit with age or a little bit banana shaped 

They said that to get to their new mooring they'll have to be craned out and transported.... or they could just go the long way round......

26 minutes ago, StephenA said:

They said that to get to their new mooring they'll have to be craned out and transported.... or they could just go the long way round......

So to leave the moorings that will need to be craned again if its above Napton ?

28 minutes ago, StephenA said:

If only they’d known Canal Route Planner eh 😂

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So to leave the moorings that will need to be craned again if its above Napton ?

Exactly what I was thinking

Should have bought a helicopter 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes  - I think if I had a boat that wouldn't go through Napton I'd be looking at a permanent mooring that wasn't above Napton.

I think I would have been tempted to have another go on a quieter day . Very gently moving in or possibly bow hauling with a bow line. If the boat was up in the air then something must have been underneath it. 

I’ve not come across overplating dislodging as suggested by CRTwould that be likely mid flight? 

the amount of stuff in some locks is amazing. Last year saw a magnet fisher remove all this from one of the upper locks on the Marple flight (more urban obviously) EA0260DC-6C65-486F-BD4B-B2426B483563.jpeg.0589bebb854d58b3aafa71dd8da23786.jpeg 

14 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Why do you feel you deserve compensation?

I suspect that CaRT would rather quickly draw attention to the Terms and Conditions which the OP signed when they bought their licence, with regard to compensation . . . 

As I said, oversized, or bent boats often get stuck at Napton, the last one I saw had his fenders down. I have known a boat to fit going one way and not the other, so had to go back up, backwards
Edit to add photo of Lock 10 and stuck boat. Also if you search this forum you will see several posts about lock 10

Dxfmgdd.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler

14 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I think I would have been tempted to have another go on a quieter day . Very gently moving in or possibly bow hauling with a bow line. 

I'm inclined to agree. Going south down the Oxford I got as far as Kings Sutton then the grounding in empty locks started. Weird. I was getting jammed on the bottom leaving every lock in a boat I'd used many times before without problems on that stretch, and needing to be flushed out. 

On the first lock where I was alone with no-one to help flush me out, I hauled the boat out on a line and got it stuck on the bottom as usual. After three or four minutes though, the lower pound rose a touch and floated the boat so I got it out on the line. I'm guessing the lockful of water made a slight wave that travelled down the pound then got reflected back again, raising the level an inch or two and refloating me bote....