Boat light fittings made from copper pipe

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Plumbing fittings in similar vein (although you could make your own cheaper)

copperpiperusticvintageindustrialtapsfau

https://www.miss-artisan.com/

Contravenes water supply regulations. Gate valves are not approved for shut off  of water supplies. Taps with washered jumpers or rotating ball valves are approved.

22 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Also, the hot tap should be on the left. Assuming that the red one is for the hot supply and blue is cold, as most would expect.

Made for dyslexics.  Is the photo reversed?

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Contravenes water supply regulations. Gate valves are not approved for shut off  of water supplies. Taps with washered jumpers or rotating ball valves are approved.

Why is that? What's the difference in the end result?

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Interesting. It claims to be approved:

"WRAS Approved / BSI Kitemarked"

You might be happier with this one.

Personally I think the handwheels look better (and these are selling on their looks). Why don't stop taps come with handwheels?

I'm also not convinced that using push fit copper fittings for joints that swivel is too clever - I can see them leaking after a while.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Why is that? What's the difference in the end result?

Gate valves are for flow control. Not isolation taps or stop taps for mains cold water supplies.

They are also concussive and cannot be guaranteed to fully stop any flow. 

That "mixer" tap is a joke. The push fit fittings will allow rotation. It is also only suitable for tanked supplies to both hot and cold as there is no air break, it is not divided flow,  between the supplies allowing the supplies to contaminate the water main.

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Interesting. It claims to be approved:

"WRAS Approved / BSI Kitemarked"

You might be happier with this one.

Personally I think the handwheels look better (and these are selling on their looks). Why don't stop taps come with handwheels?

I'm also not convinced that using push fit copper fittings for joints that swivel is too clever - I can see them leaking after a while.

Definitely not suitable for a boat. Who has brick walls in a boat?

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Which joints swivel?

28 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Gate valves are for flow control. Not isolation taps or stop taps for mains cold water supplies.

They are also concussive and cannot be guaranteed to fully stop any flow. 

I see. I wonder why gate valves are used as isolators if they're not guaranteed to stop flow. I have one on my water tank but I'll probably end up changing it for a ball valve. Less work in an awkward position turning the thing too!

Edited by blackrose

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Which joints swivel?

I see. I wonder why gate valves are used as isolators if they're not guaranteed to stop flow. I have one on my water tank but I'll probably end up changing it for a ball valve. Less work in an awkward position turning the thing too!

They are cheap!

All those fittings swivel so the spout will droop unless they have glued them or something. I think they are Tectite

24 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Which joints swivel?

On a water tank, they are working at low pressure, so will be OK. 

The flanges can be bought cheaply. Unless treated they will rust. I've got a couple of towel rails on this style with these flanges and they have rusted. I can't decide whether to treat them or live with the rusted look. Would rust more badly in a shower setting. 

I assumed they would have been treated for use in a bathroom but apparently not, and apparently nobody else had mentioned rusting. Untreated iron in a bathroom or kitchen,  why might that rust? Different supplier above, so the ones linked may or may not be treated. 

In the early 1970's a friend who was DIY renovating the house he had just bought, made himself a bath mixer like that, using end-feed solder copper fittings, with the pipes just poked through the tap holes in the bath. It was (supposed to be)  a temporary arrangement until he could afford the proper thing . I don't think gate valves were used. 

13 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Until the wedge jambs by someone over tightening when trying to stop the flow and the spindle snaps.

Very true, but they have been a standard fitment to cold water tanks for many years. Probably survive because they're used infrequently 🤨

The handwheel on ours lasted 31 years until the rust on the spokes caused it to collapse when  I tightened it.  Replaced by a full bore lever valve. Straight swap, much easier to operate and 'Er indoors can now work out whether it is on or off. 

N

2 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Very true, but they have been a standard fitment to cold water tanks for many years. Probably survive because they're used infrequently 🤨

True, but not on the rising main, only on the tank outfall.  I have had dozens broken when working in houses. The cheap Italian ones are the worst, absolute junk.