New Locks on the canal system (mostly)

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Ogwr said:

One of the Locks on the Upper Avon  Robert Aickman?  was built new and not on a previous lock site

AM-JKLXsNoA5KZSErA5x59_G0qm4ccPCSDMc-3vc

Yes, the original Harvington Lock, part of the 1970s Upper Avon restoration, (now a drydock) was later replaced by

AM-JKLVyxlF4liuipT8FAmNho2JLdJeyBBR2BNqc

...   aka Robert Aickman new lock in 1982. They happen to be at rightangles to one another.

22 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

·       Several of the locks on the River Avon (Warwickshire), but not all of them.

To quote The Story of the Rebuilding of the Upper Avon Navigation by John Grundy "Nine new locks were built, each unique to suit the donated gates available and the local ground conditions.  No attempt was made to restore what little remained of the original infrastructure.  Weirs and water levels had to be rethought...." So with the double-rebuilding at Harvington, that gives ten. The Lower Avon's locks were all reopened on their prewar locations. (iirc)

22 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

·       Locks... 3E ... on the Huddersfield Narrow, all relocated in the restoration.

This is another double-replacement, with  Lock 3E-the-third opening in 2012. It is close-to but not exactly the same as Lock 3E-the-first. Summary of the tale is here

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by PeterScott

4 hours ago, Ogwr said:

One of the Locks on the Upper Avon  Robert Aickman?  was built new and not on a

previous lock site

yes it replaced Harvington lock which was turned into  a dry dock

River Nene locks have all been completely rebuilt and I suspect in many cases relocated since 1930. Weston Favell is part of a 1970s flood defence scheme so I doubt it bears any resemblance to the original river navigation design. Dog in a doublet was brand new to extend the non-tidal section just outside your suggested timeslot in 1937 - think more for flood defence than commercial traffic.

There will have to be several on the Stroudwater very soon 😎 

As for locks that were when did the Nechells stop Lock disappear? The gates at Worcester bar went in the 1970s possibly earlier  but I don’t believe it was a true lock ever or not for a very very long time.  

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

There will have to be several on the Stroudwater very soon 😎 

Several? Just a couple more like it 🙂

Still no bad thing though 😀

On 10/05/2022 at 12:31, magpie patrick said:

My date may be arbitrary but was chosen to EXCLUDE such things! Otherwise we end up with most of the Nene, the large locks on the Trent etc - I chose post war as being "The Leisure Era" with freight on the decline or vanished

Perhaps another way of looking at this is to define your list of new locks by the reason they were built, rather than some arbitrary date. The list includes those locks built either as part of a waterway reopening or necessitated by external causes such as a road or flood relief scheme (but not those locks built primarily to improve the carriage of freight by water).

That would exclude the 1930s GU widening, larger locks on the Trent, and the Sheffield and South Yorkshire modernisation, but include most of the others which have been mentioned.

Edited by David Mack

On 11/05/2022 at 00:42, The Happy Nomad said:

As it happens I have a pic. of the old lock taken in April 2010 when we did the Leicester Ring.

Along with a view from below both locks. The old lock to the right being obscured by vegetation.

Screenshot_20220511-003439_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220511-004241_Photos.jpg

Found my picture.

52 River Soar.jpg

On 11/05/2022 at 11:28, PeterScott said:

This is another double-replacement, with  Lock 3E-the-third opening in 2012. It is close-to but not exactly the same as Lock 3E-the-first. Summary of the tale is here

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Took a chunk out of the top gate on latest incarnation when gear change cable broke as I reversed back to pick up my wife. Quiet place to spend the night despite the students.

On 11/05/2022 at 19:19, enigmatic said:

River Nene locks have all been completely rebuilt and I suspect in many cases relocated since 1930. Weston Favell is part of a 1970s flood defence scheme so I doubt it bears any resemblance to the original river navigation design. Dog in a doublet was brand new to extend the non-tidal section just outside your suggested timeslot in 1937 - think more for flood defence than commercial traffic.

The main works on the Nene date from the 1930s. But since then

* Abington lock is new (part of the flood defence scheme on the Northampton washes, with flood gates just downstream of Abington and upstream of Weston Favell

* Lower Wellingborough looks relatively new (also rather badly designed). I would suspect also the other locks that have two sets of V doors, ie Upper Wellingborough, and Higham.

And Bottisham lock on the Cam has been rebuilt or relocated - my copy of Bradshaws is on the boat so I can't check. It may even (like Brandon) be part of the 1960s work when the relief and cutoff channels were built.

4 hours ago, Neil TNC said:

Scotts Float Sluice. Tidal entrance to the River Rother, in Sussex. New floodgates and double radial gate lock built 1984, downstream of original sluice.

SFS1.jpg

SFS2.jpg

So it's not true that Carpenters Road lock is unique ....

No, I did some research on this lock for the NB Ocean Princess Scilly Isles Cruise in 2003. They got permission from EA to come in on the level, but they carried on!

Fulney Lock, tidal lock on the River Welland, just downstream of Spalding. This lock was finished in 1955, along with the Coronation Flood Relief Channel. AFAIK the river was tidal through Spalding before this lock was built.

Fulney1.jpg

Fulney2.jpg

• Greenie 1

A lot of good stuff - in the next day or two I shall revise the list with most of the extras

On reflection, tidal barrages that create an inland non-tidal navigation count (at first I took the view they didn't), so Tees Barrage, Swansea, Cardiff etc - locks on tidal marinas don't, because these aren't an inland navigation, and also because I suspect there are a lot, probably not related in any way to inland navigation. Tidal river barrage locks are therefore an interesting subset. 

I think the Nene locks that have simply lost their guillotine gates were partly rebuilt rather than entirely new locks,but I do acknowledge that others were relocated. 

Hulme Lock was simply extra wall, rather like Anthony on the Rochdale, albeit with rather more extra wall! 

I had several reasons for not going back before WW2 - one of which was the large number built in the 1930s - these are worth a seperate section all to themselves. I'm primarily a historian, so time periods interest me, and I'm interested in this case in locks of the second half of the 20th Century and early 21st as that's a relatively homogeneous time period in waterway history. 

43 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Stranmillis on the River Lagan?

Thanks I I think Ireland needs a category all to itself - they do things different over there! Some of my Irish friends have noted this is the first new manual lock on the island of Ireland for many decades, other new ones have been mechanised, I haven't checked yet whether this is true, but it sounds plausible.

List for post war British Mainland to follow when I get round to it!  

Here we go, latest revised list - I haven't included modified Locks or locks at coastal marinas

Canal Restoration

• ·       Droitwich Juntion  - 4 new locks as part of realignment for restoration (2011)
  • ·       Ribble Link - 8 new locks on an entirely new navigation (2001)
  • ·       Rochdale - Tuel Lane, one lock replacing two (2001?)
  • ·       K&A - Bath Deep, two locks merged into one new one (1974 but unused until the 1980s)
  • ·       Graham Palmer lock – Montgomery, (canal bed settlement)
  • ·       Locks 2E, 3E (Twice) & 21E on the Huddersfield Narrow, all relocated in the restoration. lock 6W in Stalybridge also relocated.
  • ·       Staveley Town Lock on The Chesterfield (vertical realignment of canal)
  • ·       Dixons – Chesterfield – moved about 200 yards downstream on restoration
  • ·       Boundary Lock  on The Chesterfield (settlement/subsidence)
  • ·       Loxwood Lock on the Wey and Arun, which replaced most of the fall at Brewhurst Lock (road crossing lowered)
  • ·       Prince's Dock Lock and Mann Island Lock No 6 on the Liverpool Link
  • ·       Moira on the Ashby Canal (Subsidence)
  • ·       Locks 1, 2, 2a, 3, 5 and 11 on the Forth and Clyde. Dalmuir Drop lock, also Forth and Clyde. Craighall Road and Speaker Martin locks, Glasgow Branch F&C
  • ·       The single lock and staircase on the Edinburgh &  Glasgow Union.
  • ·       Locks on the River Avon (Warwickshire) between Evesham and Stratford – 9 in total, one of them twice making 10 new locks, Colin P Whitter, Weir Brake, Stan Clover (Luddington) WA Cadbury, Pilgrim, E&H Billington, IWA, Robert Aikman (replacing an original new lock) George Billington
  • ·       New Lock to the Relief Channel at Denver Sluice.
  • ·       Great Ouse – Roxton, Great Barford, Willington, Castle Mills, Bedford (Cardington?)
  • ·       Little Ouse – Brandon
  •         Black Sluice Navigation – Boston
  •         Middlewood Deep lock at entrance to Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal

Relocated locks on navigable waterways

• ·       T&M - Etruria bottom lock, moved for a road scheme (1975?)
  • ·       B&F - Curdworth Top, moved for the M6 Toll (1990s?)
  • ·       The one on the Camp Hill flight (Lock 54) that was moved due to a road scheme
  •  .      Abington and Weston Favell - River Nene
  • ·      Soar – Kegworth Deep, Ratcliffe
  • ·       Bridgewater Canal – Pomona Lock (replaces Hulme Locks)

New Lock on navigable waterway

•        Lode End Lock on the Middle Level.
  •        Limehouse lock if you count ones built inside the old ones!
  •        Sheffield and Tinsley Canal Tinsley flight locks 6/7. Two locks combined in to one, to allow enough height for a new railway line to cross over the canal in around 1960, or 61.
  •        Lemonroyd lock (A&CN to replace the old one and Kippax after the St. Aidans breach.)
  •        Sheffield and South Yorkshire when they were upgraded for 198' x 20' boats in the late '70's, early 80's (Doncaster, Sprotborough, Mexborough Low, Mexborough Top, Waddington, Kilnhurst Flood, Eastwood (Replaced two locks) )

Marina access

•        The new lock in the entrance to Roydon Marina on the River Stort

Locks that made tidal rivers non-tidal

•       Tees Barrage
  •        Derwent Barrage
  •        Cardiff Barrage
  •        Swansea Barrage
  •        Ouseburn Barrage
  •        Three Mills lock on the Lea

Island of Ireland

• Lock 1 – Belfast – Lagan
  • Poolboy – River Suck
  • Drumshanbo – Lough Allen Canal

Edited by magpie patrick
to add Middlewood Deep Lock

On 09/05/2022 at 22:46, PeterF said:

Middlewood deep lock on the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal replaced the original 2 locks in the 2000s.

Still not made your list, or have I made an error here, it is like Tuel Lane on the Rochdale if I recall correctly.