New Locks on the canal system (mostly)

Featured Posts

Good stuff, thanks folks

From the above, this is the list so far

Canal Restoration

·       Droitwich Juntion  - 4 new locks as part of realignment for restoration (2011)

·       Ribble Link - 8 new locks on an entirely new navigation (2001)

·       Rochdale - Tuel Lane, one lock replacing two (2001?)

·       K&A - Bath Deep, two locks merged into one new one (1974 but unused until the 1980s)

·       Graham Palmer lock – Montgomery, (canal bed settlement)

·       Locks 2E, 3E & 21E on the Huddersfield Narrow, all relocated in the restoration. lock 6W in Stalybridge also relocated.

·       Staveley Town Lock on The Chesterfield (vertical realignment of canal)

·       Boundary Lock  on The Chesterfield (settlement/subsidence)

·       Loxwood Lock on the Wey and Arun, which replaced most of the fall at Brewhurst Lock (road crossing lowered)

·       Prince's Dock Lock and Mann Island Lock No 6 on the Liverpool Link

·       Moira on the Ashby Canal (Subsidence)

·       Locks 1, 2, 2a, 3, 5 and 11 on the Forth and Clyde. Dalmuir Drop lock, also Forth and Clyde.

·       The single lock and staircase on the Edinburgh &  Glasgow Union.

·       Several of the locks on the River Avon (Warwickshire), but not all of them.

·       New Lock to the Relief Channel at Denver Sluice.

·       Some of the locks on the Great Ouse up to Bedford.

Relocated locks on navigable waterways

·       T&M - Etruria bottom lock, moved for a road scheme (1975?)

·       B&F - Curdworth Top, moved for the M6 Toll (1990s?)

·       The one on the Camp Hill flight (Lock 54) that was moved due to a road scheme

New Lock on navigable waterway (all except Lode End and Tinsley are mechanised)

·       Three Mills lock on the Lea

·       Lode End Lock on the Middle Level.

·       Limehouse lock if you count ones built inside the old ones!

·       Sheffield and Tinsley Canal Tinsley flight locks 6/7. Two locks combined in to one, to allow enough height for a new railway line to cross over the canal in around 1960, or 61.

·       Lemonroyd lock (A&CN to replace the old one and Kippax after the St. Aidans breach.)

·       Some of the locks on the Sheffield and South Yorkshire when they were upgraded for 198' x 20' boats in the late '70's, early 80's

Marina access

·       The new lock in the entrance to Roydon Marina on the River Stort

The definitions are somewhat arbitrary, and are neither exhaustive nor exclusive

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

Shift your arbitrary date back to about 1930 and you could claim all the new GU locks from Calcutt to Knowle.

My date may be arbitrary but was chosen to EXCLUDE such things! Otherwise we end up with most of the Nene, the large locks on the Trent etc - I chose post war as being "The Leisure Era" with freight on the decline or vanished, so commecrual improvements were largely excluded - that said the SSYN was a commercial improvement

In the long run I would enlarge the list to include pre-war and interwar years, and perhaps locks added to existing canals in the 18th and 19th century, I would also break down the post-war era into two or three time periods, but 1945 to the present day is enough to be going on with

I'm sure there are others - keep them coming

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Do we count it when the lock(s) are replaced with not lock(s)? If so, then Falkirk Wheel.

I was specifically after locks - although I suspect the wheel is a one-off, I don't think any other new "not a lock" changes of level have been built!

Edited to add - at least one lock has just disappeared - Conisborough on the SSYN - that doesn't count either! 

I thing there are Eight new locks on the SSYN - maybe nine, not sure when Long Sandall was built

Edited by magpie patrick

The Great Ouse ones up to Bedford are Roxton, Great Barford, Willington and Castle Mills. Not sure about Cardington. 

Bedford Lock restored in 1956.

Pretty sure the lock at Brandon would come into your category.

3 minutes ago, pearley said:

The Great Ouse ones up to Bedford are Roxton, Great Barford, Willington and Castle Mills. Not sure about Cardington. 

Bedford Lock restored in 1956.

Pretty sure the lock at Brandon would come into your category.

Thank you for all those - I didn't know which Ouse Locks were new and I had forgotten Brandon 

Your updated list excluded Kegworth Deep Lock, mentioned earlier, which I'm pretty sure replaced two earlier locks, one alongside the Deep Lock and the other downstream which remains as a set of normally open flood gates.  Think much the same might have happened at Redhill.

52 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Edited to add - at least one lock has just disappeared - Conisborough on the SSYN - that doesn't count either! 

It has half disappeared. The wall that made up one side still exists, complete with pockets for the gates to fit in and even the ironwork to hold the strap that the top of the gate rotates in.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Your updated list excluded Kegworth Deep Lock, mentioned earlier, which I'm pretty sure replaced two earlier locks, one alongside the Deep Lock and the other downstream which remains as a set of normally open flood gates.  Think much the same might have happened at Redhill.

Kegworth Deep was deepened and all the lock down to Redhill replaced, Redhill had it's cill lowered, but I've no idea how many intervening locks there are

Edited to add - well spotted that I missed it off, I hadn't intended to

6 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Pomona Lock

Another good one for the list - thank you

Edited by magpie patrick

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And in the northeast, the Ouseburn Barrage off the River Tyne and the lock in the Tees Barrage at Stockton.

Yes, annoyed I missed that one. Ive just driven past it over the barrage.

32 minutes ago, pearley said:

The upper 2 locks on the Ripon Canal restored sometime between 1983 and 1996.

Not convinced they're new - I think they are built on the original structure. 

It gets messy deciding what is new - Bath deep is in the same location as the original lock 9, but is twice the fall as lock 8 below it was removed. On the other hand the lock on the Rochdale that @David Mack identified has simply had it's walls raised - Bath deep is new, I'm not sure the Rochdale one is. 

Tuel Lane and the one in Tinsley are not on original lock locations. Tinsley has moved sideways and Tuel Lane, curiously, is between the two locks it replaces 

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

On the other hand the lock on the Rochdale that @David Mack identified has simply had it's walls raised - Bath deep is new, I'm not sure the Rochdale one is. 

I got stuck there a couple of years ago, so I should remember, but I'm pretty sure you are right - only the top few feet of the chamber walls are new.

1 hour ago, AndrewIC said:

Out of curiosity, does the drop-lock involve a change in level either end of the lock?

No - just within it! Go down, get under the bridge, go up again.

Early designs for this type of lock had a short pound under the bridge - in effect back to back locks. The intervening pound didn't survive the design process - not safe and not necessary. 

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Kegworth Deep was deepened and all the lock down to Redhill replaced, Redhill had it's cill lowered, but I've no idea how many intervening locks there are

Edited to add - well spotted that I missed it off, I hadn't intended to

Another good one for the list - thank you

Surely a new Kegworth Lock was built alongside the original. I've a picture somewhere on my hard drive.

There were plans about 3 years ago to install a hydro electric plant in the old chamber. Did they come to anything?

8 minutes ago, pearley said:

Surely a new Kegworth Lock was built alongside the original. I've a picture somewhere on my hard drive.

There were plans about 3 years ago to install a hydro electric plant in the old chamber. Did they come to anything?

Yes Kegworth New was built along side the old one. The same as Ratcliffe.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6180760

Edited by StephenA

On 09/05/2022 at 22:13, PeterF said:

Kegworth deep lock was moved but not far when works were done on the River Soar, I am not sure if any others were moved or just rebuilt.

Ratcliffe was also rebuilt at the same time as Kegworth.

2 hours ago, pearley said:

Indeed - sloppy English on my part, a deeper lock was built alongside and then the old one closed.

4 hours ago, pearley said:

As it happens I have a pic. of the old lock taken in April 2010 when we did the Leicester Ring.

Along with a view from below both locks. The old lock to the right being obscured by vegetation.

Screenshot_20220511-003439_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220511-004241_Photos.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad