New Locks on the canal system (mostly)

Featured Posts

Further meandering thoughts occasioned by projects I'm working on! There are a number of new locks on the canal system - by new I mean since since 1945 - that date is fairly arbitrary, I could have picked 1960, 1975, but late enough for these locks to belong to a different era to the canal opening. I don't necessarily mean "modern", these locks are mostly use the same technology in operation (if not in construction) that the originals do, nor do I mean "rebuilt", rather moved, either horizontally or vertically or both... 

I've been involved in some of the most recent - the four new ones on the Droitwich for example. A top of my head list is

Droitwich Juntion  - 4 new locks as part of realignment for restoration (2011)

Ribble Link - 8 new locks on an entirely new navigation (2001)

T&M - Etruria bottom lock, moved for a road scheme (1975?)

K&A - Bath Deep, two locks merged into one new one (1974 but unused until the 1980s)

Rochdale - Tuel Lane, one lock replacing two (2001?)

B&F - Curdworth Top, moved for the M6 Toll (1990s?)

I'm sure there are a lot more - please add to the list! 

Edited by magpie patrick

15 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Further meandering thoughts occasioned by projects I'm working on! There are a number of new locks on the canal system - by new I mean since since 1945 - that date is fairly arbitrary, I could have picked 1960, 1975, but late enough for these locks to belong to a different era to the canal opening. I don't necessarily mean "modern", these locks are mostly use the same technology in operation (if not in construction) that the originals do, nor do I mean "rebuilt", rather moved, either horizontally or vertically or both... 

I've been involved in some of the most recent - the four new ones on the Droitwich for example. A top of my head list is

Droitwich Juntion  - 8 new locks as part of realignment for restoration (2011)

K&A - Bath Deep, two locks merged into one new one (1974 but unused until the 1980s)

Lemonroyd lock (A&CN to replace the old one and Kippax after the St. Aidans breach.)

Edit - forgot Kippax.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

35 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Droitwich Juntion  - 4 new locks as part of realignment for restoration (2011)

Graham Palmer lock on the mont

Three Mills lock on the Lea

Edited by Tim Lewis

Don't know if this counts, but Anthony Lock no. 77 on the Rochdale Canal was significantly raised when the canal was restored due to substantial settlement of the original structure during the period the canal was closed.

Several of the locks on the Upper Avon, the most recent being Harvington, which was relocated some years after the river reopened to navigation.

And in East Anglia:

Lode End Lock on the Middle Level.

New Lock to the Relief Channel at Denver Sluice.

Some of the locks on the Great Ouse up to Bedford.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

The one on the Camp Hill flight (Lock 54) that was moved due to a road scheme

The new lock in the entrance to Roydon Marina on the River Stort

Sandy Lane.

And, did not Poolstock Locks replace Dover Locks?

Edited by pearley

12 minutes ago, pearley said:

Sandy Lane.

And, did not Poolstock Locks replace Dover Locks?

Poolstock locks replaced the two at Dover and the one at Plank Lane. But they were added in the early 20th C

Some of the locks on the Sheffield and South Yorkshire when they were upgraded for 198' x 20' boats in the late '70's, early 80's. Sometimes alongside the original, like at Kilnhurst, Sprotbrough, Long Sandall, rather than extended and widened in the original position. The remains of the old 60' locks can still be seen at the above.

Also, Sheffield and Tinsley Canal Tinsley flight locks 6/7. Two locks combined in to one, to allow enough height for a new railway line to cross over the canal in around 1960, or 61.

Kegworth deep lock was moved but not far when works were done on the River Soar, I am not sure if any others were moved or just rebuilt.

Edited by PeterF
Remove reference to Woodnook lock, wrong date.

There's a new lock - the first ever unless you count the former stop lock at the canal entrance - on the Ashby, though it is on the Moira section which is not yet connected to the main canal.