Electric bikes

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Nobody mentioned arguing over anything, well apart from you< I merely supplied some facts to help the discussion along.  However I suspect that there are ways of using electric propulsion which aren't as dangerous as escooters.

For example I would like to see the comparison in environmental damage between say escooters and electric public transport (which is basically what trams were when I was a kid).

Two thoughts.

One the reintroduction of "conductors" and full use of various technologies could make late night public transport safe.

Two there is a difference between feeling safer and being safer, do you have any figures to show public transport is more dangerous than the use of an escooter, sometimes in the dark, on a road (which I understand is the only way they can/will be legal to use.

No they weren't they were given the penalty points for breaking the law.  To say it was for trying to get home safely implies she was penalised for something which isn't against the law, which is completely untrue.

True the rider probably would, however over 1 in 3 of the serious injuries wasn't the rider but an innocent person.

Is it right to subject members of the public to one third of the serious injuries caused by e-scooter drivers?  It is swings and round abouts.

First question can you give me a link for this please.  Second point "estimated" not a good basis for basing things on IMO.   By the way I hope you aren't linking my figures to the estimated trips as no mention is made in my reference of number of trips.

How do the injuries/fatalities compare to the many millions of trips made by other forms of transport including e-bikes?

See above.   Also you can't include illegal journey as it has been already pointed out many/most accidents when used illegally will not be recorded because they are being used illegally.

My be not but to me your figures etc are spun to ensure it seems less serious than it may be.

You are being overly emotional about e-scooters, nobody, other than you, has suggested there shouldn't be environmentally sound methods of getting around.  The discussion is about whether e-scooters are the way forward or some other environmentally sound method.

You see Jerra something else we agree on, my issues with them are similar to yours, there are better and safer ways of getting around than an Escooter. Every accident that happens causes ambulances and hospitals time that is in short supply. At this moment we had an opportunity to say no to private Escooters and also shut down the hire ones as scooters become unusable. I this weekend witnessed an illegal scooter having a serious accident, it was clearly modified as it was doing over 30 mph! They really aren't safe at these speeds with their little wheels. We have electric trams and a few electric buses and wish that the country was moving faster that way. Tonight I went to Sheffield and back by Tram  had a few beers and back quick and quiet and no drink driving. 

26 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Tonight I went to Sheffield and back by Tram  had a few beers and back quick and quiet and no drink driving. 

The trams were packed going your way tonight, fancy dress everywhere, thought it was loads of Stag Nights, till I realised it was Premier League Darts night at the Arena, One Hundred and Eighteeeeee🎯🎯🎯

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The future looks very safe doesn't it 🤣

Screenshot_20220513-084450_WhatsApp.jpg

I've addressed this point a couple of times above, but I'll repeat it once more: if you would ban all e-scooters because a small minority ride illegal models, why not ban all ebikes because a minority ride around on overpowered illegal models? 

Why not close the entire CWDF website if a few contributors happen to breach the guidelines for behaviour?

Because sometimes the answer is not banning, but rather better enforcement of the regulations.

Hundreds of thousands of people want the freedom and convenience offered by affordable personal electric transport, and they are finally going to get it. 

Just a courtesy note: I deliberately chose not to put a personal photograph on this site for privacy reasons, and your inserting the photo from my whatsapp account is pretty poor form. 

15 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I understand that the road accident rate in Victorian London was much reduced in the 20th century after internal combustion vehicles had largely replaced horses. It wasn't just the removal of the bolters, biters, and  kickers,  there was less  grain around to support the rat population.  

Plus the amount of "waste" was becoming unmanageable 

48 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I've addressed this point a couple of times above, but I'll repeat it once more: if you would ban all e-scooters because a small minority ride illegal models, why not ban all ebikes because a minority ride around on overpowered illegal models? 

Why not close the entire CWDF website if a few contributors happen to breach the guidelines for behaviour?

Because sometimes the answer is not banning, but rather better enforcement of the regulations.

Hundreds of thousands of people want the freedom and convenience offered by affordable personal electric transport, and they are finally going to get it. 

Just a courtesy note: I deliberately chose not to put a personal photograph on this site for privacy reasons, and your inserting the photo from my whatsapp account is pretty poor form. 

Sorry about that Tony didnt realise it had your picture on it, if you hadnt mentioned it others wouldnt have known though................

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Sorry about that Tony didnt realise it had your picture on it, if you hadnt mentioned it others wouldnt have known though................

No worries, I thought it probably wasnt on purpose.

The only worry is that now they know how handsome I am, legions of women are going to start stalking me 😀

Edited by Tony1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

The only worry is that now they know how handsome I am, legions of women are going to start stalking me 😀

And men... 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

And men... 😉

I was of course jesting Mr D. The tragic truth is that ten months of retirement, drunkenness and debauchery has left me a broken shell, and a singularly unattractive proposition for most normal human beings of any gender.  

My hope is that there is an alien species somewhere that would find me a paragon of beauty (most likely those ones that have pudgy grey skin, thinning hair, and red, hollow eyes).

But realistically, we will not meet this discerning alien species within my lifetime, nor are they likely to have a dating website- so I am resigned to living my remaining years as a bachelor. 

I could hope to move to the Everglades and form a romantic relationship with a manatee, but the hot weather would make me grumpy and disagreeable. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I was of course jesting Mr D. The tragic truth is that ten months of retirement, drunkenness and debauchery has left me a broken shell, and a singularly unattractive proposition for most normal human beings of any gender.  

My hope is that there is an alien species somewhere that would find me a paragon of beauty (most likely those ones that have pudgy grey skin, thinning hair, and red, hollow eyes).

But realistically, we will not meet this discerning alien species within my lifetime, nor are they likely to have a dating website- so I am resigned to living my remaining years as a bachelor. 

I could hope to move to the Everglades and form a romantic relationship with a manatee, but the hot weather would make me grumpy and disagreeable. 

It's Mrs Palm and her five lovely daughters then... 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IanD said:

It's Mrs Palm and her five lovely daughters then... 😉

As Woody Allen once quipped, don't knock it- it's sex with someone I love

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

Is it a very old picture? Its just that I have met you and it looks nothing like you I have 🤣🤣🤣🤣

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Is it a very old picture? Its just that I have met you and it looks nothing like you I have 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's what a year of boating will do to you.

But no, that was at the end of 2019 I think, they wanted a recent photo for the staff webpage. After that I got rid of the ridiculous long hair and the awful beard. 

Now I just need a bit of a tan I reckon, and I'll look like a Greek God. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Dont worry Tony. Peter is far uglier than you 🤣

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

That's what a year of boating will do to you.

But no, that was at the end of 2019 I think, they wanted a recent photo for the staff webpage. After that I got rid of the ridiculous long hair and the awful beard. 

Now I just need a bit of a tan I reckon, and I'll look like a Greek God. 

Put glasses on this one and the resemblance would be remarkable... 😉

greek god.png

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/05/2022 at 15:56, Bubblebuster said:

What's the deal with electric bikes on towpaths.

Are they allowed and if so, what sort of restrictions if any are there... and recommendations please as thinking of getting a couple of 'em.

Bikes in general can be a but of a nuisance as walkers will know, but are electric bikes charging along (see what I did there 🙂) going just a bit too far?  

Been a little motorbike on the tow path today, no helmet, not electric, I noticed he speeded up when towpath was clear, but passing me he was ten to fifteen mph, difficult to say, safer than an ebike as it is noisier, looks more stable.

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Been a little motorbike on the tow path today, no helmet, not electric, I noticed he speeded up when towpath was clear, but passing me he was ten to fifteen mph, difficult to say, safer than an ebike as it is noisier, looks more stable.

Been? Did you go brrrm brrrm as you walked along? 🤣 You set em up...

I'd rather ride a full size e bike, far more stable than a little motorbike, no fumes and silent. Unless I beep the horn or, as is my preference, slow down, say hello and engage with pedestrians. 

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...