Railway stations between Fazeley and the Ashby

Featured Posts

I'm trying to plan a trip from Macclesfield to the end of the Ashby and back.  Unfortunately, my wife can only join me for a couple of weeks, so I'm starting without her, collecting her at Rugeley station and then I have to drop her off somewhere to get home again while I bring the boat back.  It doesn't seem practical to get back to Rugeley in the time we've got (according to CanalPlan it would take seven hour days assuming no holdups anywhere, and my old tub doesn't like days as long as that), so we need access to a station somewhere between Fazeley and the end of the Ashby.  She's happy walking a couple of miles but I'm having difficulty spotting where the stations are - anyone been that way and know?

• Greenie 1

Station at Hinckley is the only Notwork Rail one on the Ashby AFAIK.  I have been to there (on a Sunday!), but it was a while back.  Others at Nuneaton, Atherstone, Polesworth, Tamworth.  Not many trains at Atherstone, less at Polesworth.  Also trains near Fradley/Whittington in Lichfield -Trent Valley is nearest, but City is on the bus route from Whittington.    Or turn left at Marston Jabbets and go for an hour or so and there are stations near Hawkesbury, I think,  and in Coventry, or even Rugby if you wanted to go that far.

N

Edited by BEngo

Lots of options

Polesworth, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Bedworth & Hinckley have stations within a mile of the canals, but not always on the same lines, so convenience may vary.

Bosworth Field, Market Bosworth and Shackerstone are close to the Battlefield Line heritage railway, but that doesn't connect to anything else, so doesn't help you. 😀

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

From memory, Hinckley is the only proper station on the Ashby. There are a couple of others further along but they form part of a preserved steam railway with no B.R. connections.

(Just seen that Bengo beat me to it).

Edited by Athy

Also from memory, Polesworth only has a train about once a fortnight in one direction only, and then only if there has been a total eclipse in Namibia that week, or something like that

Tamworth has a pretty good service but might be slightly outside your range both for walking and how far you want to travel in the available time. 

14 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Bosworth Field, Market Bosworth and Shackerstone are close to the Battlefield Line heritage railway, but that doesn't connect to anything else, so doesn't help you.

But at least one of their regular drivers lives on a narrow boat.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm trying to plan a trip from Macclesfield to the end of the Ashby and back.  Unfortunately, my wife can only join me for a couple of weeks, so I'm starting without her, collecting her at Rugeley station and then I have to drop her off somewhere to get home again while I bring the boat back.  It doesn't seem practical to get back to Rugeley in the time we've got (according to CanalPlan it would take seven hour days assuming no holdups anywhere, and my old tub doesn't like days as long as that), so we need access to a station somewhere between Fazeley and the end of the Ashby.  She's happy walking a couple of miles but I'm having difficulty spotting where the stations are - anyone been that way and know?

When you going?

I’m hoping to be on the Ashby through best part of June. 
If it coincides, I have a car, I could pick her up and drop her at any main station. 

Edited by Goliath

38 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Also from memory, Polesworth only has a train about once a fortnight in one direction only, and then only if there has been a total eclipse in Namibia that week, or something like that

Tamworth has a pretty good service but might be slightly outside your range both for walking and how far you want to travel in the available time. 

Polesworth is a Parliamentary station.

Don't forget buses. From Bridge 17, for example, there seems to be a service both to Hinkley and Nuneaton stations. 

You can easily discover what services run near the canal from Google Aerial view which shows bus stops if you zoom in quite a bit. It then lists the departure board so you can then look up the full route.

(For some of us they do have the advantage of sometimes being free!)

39 minutes ago, Midnight said:

We have used Tamworth Station but it's a long walk from Fazeley. I got a taxi the last time about £12. There's probably a bus. 

Wilnecote station is closer to the canal, but not that many of the Birmingham to Tamworth trains stop there so you need to pick your train.

Tamworth station appears to be easiest to access from Amington.

Wilnecote is v handy for Fazeley though.  Looks to be less than 1 km  from the junction and a bit nearer from the visitor moorings on the Glascote side.

N

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

When you going?

I’m hoping to be on the Ashby through best part of June. 
If it coincides, I have a car, I could pick her up and drop her at any main station. 

She'll be leaving the boat on 11th June, so that's a great offer.  It all depends on where we get to - there do seem to be a fair few options.  I'll keep that in mind if that's OK - can't really be definite about anything to do with travelling by boat at the moment as you never really know when the next stoppage is going to hit. Thanks very much.

Thanks all.  She's the train expert, so I've made a list and will pass them on to her.

• Greenie 1

She'll be leaving the boat on 11th June, so that's a great offer.  It all depends on where we get to - there do seem to be a fair few options.  I'll keep that in mind if that's OK - can't really be definite about anything to do with travelling by boat at the moment as you never really know when the next stoppage is going to hit. Thanks very much.

Thanks all.  She's the train expert, so I've made a list and will pass them on to her.

Don't include Polesworth in the list. There is only one train per day and that is northbound at 06:51. There is no southbound service at all. As Mike Todd says it is a parliamentary service, i.e it is cheaper to run a very minimal service than it is to go through the legal process to close the station altogether.

Yep, nothing definite about boat journeys for sure.

Just shout closer to date if you need. 

I’m easy either way.

Nowhere is far from the A5 when driving over that way.
But once you get countryfide public transport is infrequent. 

I dare say you’ll pass by me on the way down.

47 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yep, nothing definite about boat journeys for sure.

Just shout closer to date if you need. 

I’m easy either way.

Nowhere is far from the A5 when driving over that way.
But once you get countryfide public transport is infrequent. 

I dare say you’ll pass by me on the way down.

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Just so that you are aware, the Nuneaton to Coventry train service (which stops at intermediate stations at Bermuda Park, Bedworth and Coventry Arena and goes on to Leamington) is a bit unreliable at the moment- they are still reporting staff shortages due to Covid.

Nuneaton station will probably give you the best choice of trains.

2 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Just so that you are aware, the Nuneaton to Coventry train service (which stops at intermediate stations at Bermuda Park, Bedworth and Coventry Arena and goes on to Leamington) is a bit unreliable at the moment- they are still reporting staff shortages due to Covid.

Nuneaton station will probably give you the best choice of trains.

You're right,  I think. She's decided the current plan A is for me to sling her off the boat at Nuneaton, with Goliath's kind offer as a backup plan B if we're still on the Ashby.

On 09/05/2022 at 12:20, magpie patrick said:

Tamworth Station is an easy walk from Glascote locks.

I used Tamworth when I was in the area a couple of years ago, 30 mins walk or taxi to canal, think was more around £6 mark then. There were also buses to various places north and south, including Hopwas. I used Google maps to find them. Hourly trains in each direction from Atherstone too,  as well as Nuneaton, which I also found longish walkable, or by bus or taxi, from the canal.