Back to front

LadyG

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Does breasting a boat up to one's own to move it count as "towing"?

I don't think it does, as towing means pulling another <whatever> along behind you on a rope. 

P.S. I do hope not as I breasted a stricken boat up to mine the other day to move it back past a couple of moored behemoths and through a lock to a mooring space. Insurance never crossed my mind and even it had, I'd still have done it. 

Interesting point regarding inland waterways. I can only say that at sea towing while breasted up - more commonly called ‘towing alongside’ or informally ‘Hipping’ - the two combined vessels have always been regarded as being one vessel and lit as one vessel as far as nav lights are concerned. I would suggest that the same interpretation may apply on inland waterways as well. 

Howard

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Yes, I'm not in any doubt, thanks, at the moment I'm more concerned with trying to comply with the cc requirements after my marathon overstay, locally.

It was just a thowaway post when I thought it might be an easy option to hitch a lift from a neighbouring boat, I can't see any problem being towed abreast backwards, slowly, but sometimes the forum can provide an insight. It's a great discussion forum, and things do pop up which are of general interest.

I don't think there is a problem with the push me pull you technique.

Boats often use that technique to transit the Kyme Eau off the Witham as there isn't much/any room to turn around at the top.

• Happy 1

16 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

I wonder if it makes a difference how much ballast you have at the front compared to the back?

I bet the front of this would swing about.

Crabtree Narrowboat Hire | Narrowboat Holidays Lancashire | Narrowboat  Holidays | Award Winning Narrowboat Holidays

Yeah, I guess that is why you never see swans reversing... 🍾🍰

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yeah, I guess that is why you never see swans reversing... 🍾🍰

My cat used to reverse along the gunwales after he worked out that when he turned his tummy knocked him in. Why he did not work out that it would be easier to go right along to the bow I don't know.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My cat used to reverse along the gunwales after he worked out that when he turned his tummy knocked him in. Why he did not work out that it would be easier to go right along to the bow I don't know.

Did he make a regularly repeated miaowing noise when going backwards? 😉 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

Yes, I'm not in any doubt, thanks, at the moment I'm more concerned with trying to comply with the cc requirements after my marathon overstay, locally.

It was just a thowaway post when I thought it might be an easy option to hitch a lift from a neighbouring boat, I can't see any problem being towed abreast backwards, slowly, but sometimes the forum can provide an insight. It's a great discussion forum, and things do pop up which are of general interest.

Thing is I dont think it was a "throwaway post"  I think you were either hoping somebody might help or suggest that it was perfectly reasonable to ask that "potential tow boat" for help. As others have suggested, unless its a dire emergency asking for a tow just because you missed a winding hole is not reasonable, just as asking a local house for electric to weld your rudder wasn't.  Now you are suggesting that it was it only to open general discussion smacks of a get out when you had replies that weren't favourable. If you have no doubt about doing it just get it done and dont make excuses.  Good luck. 

• Greenie 2

Having met hire boats on two separate occasions beyond the top of Hatton Locks who asked us where the next place to turn was as they'd missed turning at the Saltisford Arm at the bottom, reversing 5 furlongs can be the easy option.  You could be faced with doing 42 locks 🤣

31 minutes ago, IanM said:

Having met hire boats on two separate occasions beyond the top of Hatton Locks who asked us where the next place to turn was as they'd missed turning at the Saltisford Arm at the bottom, reversing 5 furlongs can be the easy option.  You could be faced with doing 42 locks 🤣

I helped a near full length hire boat wind outside the cafe as when I asked them where they were heading they thought they could rejoin the Avon where the GU crosses it.  We just managed to squeeze them round with a bit of gentle nudging from our boat.  The volockies were going mad running up to see what was going on.

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Does breasting a boat up to one's own to move it count as "towing"?

I don't think it does, as towing means pulling another <whatever> along behind you on a rope. 

P.S. I do hope not as I breasted a stricken boat up to mine the other day to move it back past a couple of moored behemoths and through a lock to a mooring space. Insurance never crossed my mind and even it had, I'd still have done it. 

Breasting up is towing if only one boat is powered.

But as you suggest most folk will tow a short distance to help someone out.