Recommendations for free Blog software

Grassman

Featured Posts

I'm considering doing a Vlog for our 3+ month boating trip this year. I've searched on here but can only find quite old postings which might no longer be so relevant?

Here's a list of what I want and I'd be grateful if any of you can help me choose a suitable one please. I've already tried one called Wix.com but I can't get on with it.

1. I just want a simple one so that friends and family can keep tabs on our progress if they wish.

2. I only want to post a couple of photos and a few lines of text each day or every few days so it doesn't have to be a sophisticated one.

3. The Wix one I've tried requires me to email all friends every time there's an update, but I don't want to impose on people. Some will be more interested than others so I just want to give them a link and then it's up to them how often they take a look.

4. I don't to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc and don't wish to start.

5. I'm not very good with this type of thing so the simpler the better please, and preferably not a website type vlog if at all possible because they look more complicated to me.

Many thanks

Do you mean 'vlog' I.e. a video blog on YouTube, or a 'blog' which is at its simplest a static web page with photographs and text?

Or you could start your own thread on here at https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/forum/10-cruise-diaries-reports/. Family and friends can view your posts whether or not they are signed up as forum members.

Edited by David Mack

22 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I'm considering doing a Vlog for our 3+ month boating trip this year. I've searched on here but can only find quite old postings which might no longer be so relevant?

Here's a list of what I want and I'd be grateful if any of you can help me choose a suitable one please. I've already tried one called Wix.com but I can't get on with it.

1. I just want a simple one so that friends and family can keep tabs on our progress if they wish.

2. I only want to post a couple of photos and a few lines of text each day or every few days so it doesn't have to be a sophisticated one.

3. The Wix one I've tried requires me to email all friends every time there's an update, but I don't want to impose on people. Some will be more interested than others so I just want to give them a link and then it's up to them how often they take a look.

5. I'm not very good with this type of thing so the simpler the better please, and preferably not a website type vlog if at all possible because they look more complicated to me.

Many thanks

Not the answer you want but by far the easiest way is by setting up a Facebook page . It only takes seconds and is very easy to use, sends out all your notifications and has the advantage that pretty well everybody uses it

Edited by Tim Lewis

41 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Many thanks

Livejournal (if you don't mind it being owned by Russians)

Dreamwidth (  Clone of LJ)

Wordpress

56 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Not the answer you want but by far the easiest way is by setting up a Facebook page . It only takes seconds and is very easy to use, sends out all your notifications and has the advantage that pretty well everybody uses it

Here is one who does not, only joined for Canal Boat pages which was a  waste of time and now FB have locked my account. So if anyone wants to consult me via Facebook, Twitter etc, hard luck. I am sure that I am not the only one who can do without the spam notifications such sites seem to send out.

30 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Here is one who does not, only joined for Canal Boat pages which was a  waste of time and now FB have locked my account. So if anyone wants to consult me via Facebook, Twitter etc, hard luck. I am sure that I am not the only one who can do without the spam notifications such sites seem to send out.

I use Facebook to keep up with family stuff, but can understand some people not liking it. It does have some irritating features.

As a matter of interest,  i dont get any notifications, spam or otherwise. I may well have had to turn them off.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

Many thanks

If you only want to post photos why not use Flickr I use it for my photos, if you want to do videos Paul Whittick is willig to post some advice.

Thanks for your helpful replies. 

David it is a Blog I want to do, and my mistake for writing Vlog in my OP. 

I will investigate those options mentioned, except for Facebook which I loathe, and please keep them coming if there are any more suggestions.

I use Wordpress of which there are two forms, Wordpress.org and Wordpress.com. I suggest that this latter offering will be better for your purpose as it is much easier and quicker to set up, taking a matter of minutes. I use the the former, which whilst being much cheaper as the software is free requires one to set-up one's own domain and is a little more involved to operate.

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

I will investigate those options mentioned, except for Facebook which I loathe, and please keep them coming if there are any more suggestions.

I compose my blog and publish it to Blogger using "Open Live Writer" It will even resize the photos and is almost what you see is what you get to within a word or so. Harnser's Travels: Watch House Stretford (nbharnser.blogspot.com)

15 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Seemingly I've been permanently banned from Facebook because I wouldn't provide a mug shot.📸 Since I could have provided a photo of anyone I chose it's a meaningless requirement.  

Edited by Slim

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

Perhaps you should Ask a Mod to change the title for you - it 'seems' that they cannot do it on their own account!

11 minutes ago, Slim said:

Seemingly I've been permanently banned from Facebook because I wouldn't provide a mug shot.📸 Since I could have provided a photo of anyone I chose it's a meaningless requirement.  

That shows that at least three of us do not use Facebook so the claim that everyone uses it is not exactly true. I don't understand why so many people are happy to provide so much commercially valuable information about themselves for free just to save themselves doing a few emails. Trouble is, far too many companies only seem to want to communicate with their customers via such means.

• Greenie 1

Facebook is designed to waste time, not to find information quickly. The absolute best software for finding information, in my opinion, is the StackExchange system (which isn't freely available). Forums like this coupled with Google are also decent.

But then, Facebook isn't just about the software, but also the social network itself. I check it regularly for canal stuff to see which tea leaves are near our mooring, and also to read the occasional argument about hirers etc.

No useful answer to the OP, sorry.

32 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That shows that at least three of us do not use Facebook so the claim that everyone uses it is not exactly true. I don't understand why so many people are happy to provide so much commercially valuable information about themselves for free just to save themselves doing a few emails. Trouble is, far too many companies only seem to want to communicate with their customers via such means.

Many many people dont use it. Add me to your list, its trash. Google probably says that 80 million of our 70 million population use it lol. There will be a lot of facebook accounts that are simply never used. Just check how many people for instance are registered as members here? then look how many posts they have all made and how many people actualy use the site, it aint many. As a for instance, the great majority of long term liveaboards that i know, and its a hell of a lot, are not on this forum, never mind farcebook. 

Edited by mrsmelly

2 hours ago, Thomas C King said:

Facebook is designed to waste time, not to find information quickly. The absolute best software for finding information, in my opinion, is the StackExchange system (which isn't freely available). Forums like this coupled with Google are also decent.

But then, Facebook isn't just about the software, but also the social network itself. I check it regularly for canal stuff to see which tea leaves are near our mooring, and also to read the occasional argument about hirers etc.

No useful answer to the OP, sorry.

Harnser (Ditchcrawler) gave specifics - I use, and would recommend, Blogger. It does depend a bit on how sophisticated you want to be but I only want a few bells and whistles. It takes me all my available time to do that as I set the goal of writing as contemporaneous as possible, normally between final mooring and dining each day, but it does depend on mobile signal.

Edited by Mike Todd

6 hours ago, Slim said:

I had worse than that a few years ago. They demanded a copy of my council tax demand to verify my name and address!

Needless to say they didn't get it.  

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I've had none of this

Very presumptive of them to assume I paid council tax anyway. It was a very odd demand. Lots of people legitimately don't pay it, e.g. all the members of my family living with me at the time. 

I use SquareSpace for my photography and blog about photography stuff (which badly needs updating - the blog that is). But it would seem an expensive way just to get a blog. It is easy to use though. Maybe have a look at Weebly as well as the others mentioned, Wix can be a bit difficult to get the hang of, but it is quite good (I don't like it but ... ).