New build financial logistics.....

Andyaero

Featured Posts

On 09/05/2022 at 15:18, frahkn said:

I'm in a similar position to yourself in so far as I used to moor a Mercia and no longer do so.

At first I enjoyed the novelty of being part of the "decorative element" of a shopping experience but that paled. I am not very at all 'social', I have no interest in the business of others and resent their interest in mine.

Eventually, the proximity of Willington station was not enough to balance the rest.

Others will have different tastes - each to his own.

Over riding requirement in a marina, if we go that route temporarily is peacefulness. We currently live in a farmhouse with no one within a mile, no shops within 8 miles, so we are used to isolation and love it that way thanks! Having worked at the behest of Joe Public for the last 35+ years and seen him at his worst over the last couple, I really have no desire to be in the shop window any more 😀.

3 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

OK, maybe I'm not 100% going new build, ever open minded, that's me 😀.

Yes, we're aware of the big decisions, workin on it 🙂. Don't think we want anything particularly outrageous so not beyond the realms of finding something used that suits!

If new I'd def go hybrid atleast, used it would obvs depend on availability, budget and if everything else balanced with the boat, wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Hybrid boats carry a (significant) cost premium. Dont be swayed by their dubious cost v benefits when a diesel will fit your needs perfectly well.

A diesel boat can be made to run very quietly if that is a concern.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Are you aware of the cost premium this would involve?

Lots of discussion on here about it.

Of course, tho maybe in 2 years that will be less so, but yes new tech is always at a premium and not always best to get in, in its infancy!

Just want to say thanks for responses so far, I'm here to learn, no matter how old or experienced in anything in life u are, I always believe u can learn, I have no set in stone plans as yet, other than reverse layout, so it's closer to the fridge and kettle! Oh and semi trad.....probably! 😀

• Greenie 1

Just now, Andyaero said:

Just want to say thanks for responses so far, I'm here to learn, no matter how old or experienced in anything in life u are, I always believe u can learn, I have no set in stone plans as yet, other than reverse layout, so it's closer to the fridge and kettle! Oh and semi trad.....probably! 😀

You have to sift through lots of opinions on here. Some put across quite forcibly, especially on the issue of hybrid/electrical propulsion. Just bear in mind you need to work out what suits you. Just because certain posters forcibly put across an opinion about something does not mean it will suit your budget, circumstances and wishes.

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You have to sift through lots of opinions on here. Some put across quite forcibly, especially on the issue of hybrid/electrical propulsion. Just bear in mind you need to work out what suits you. Just because certain posters forcibly put across an opinion about something does not mean it will suit your budget, circumstances and wishes.

Good luck.

Yes, listen to a range of opinions, try to take on board what people say, treat some of the more forcible opinions with a pinch of salt because some of those pontificating know-it-alls are idiots, and then make up your own mind because at the end of the day it's your money and your life.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

There are going to be bruises getting on and off this one. One roof drain and I hope the window seals are good.

image.png.4963ccd252e31efe445bbbe3dc64fa35.png

Seen this somewhere, I believe it's going to be at Crick, yes looks potentially painful.

12 hours ago, dave moore said:

Bloody awful! The more I see of many modern craft, I’m grateful to have been around before such monstrosities were built. Ah well......

Dave, something to sooth

the furrowed brow.

1553367_585562458180553_1735582420_o[1].jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Three summer trips on hire boats is a very small amount of experience on which to base your choice of boat.

Have you thought about hiring for a couple of weeks mid winter, lots of hire companies carry on through the winter and they are a lot cheaper than in the summer.

Will give you much more experience on which to base your decision.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Hire boats - are they not rather untypical of narrowboats? Lots of berths, multiple WC's, not much storage. I'm pretty sure I would want "something else" if that was my experience of narrowboat interiors.

It depends.

One two berth hire boat we hired had the pefect layout we would have if having a new boat built.

26 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

Three summer trips on hire boats is a very small amount of experience on which to base your choice of boat.

Have you thought about hiring for a couple of weeks mid winter, lots of hire companies carry on through the winter and they are a lot cheaper than in the summer.

Will give you much more experience on which to base your decision.

Summer is a slight exageration as they've been April, June, Sept, plus 2 weeks end to end on the Caledonian, Fort William to Inverness, Loch Ness in Oct ain't a walk in the park, but yeah I guess I've not done the Grand Union on January..........

We also have extended family who live on a boat, albeit mainly marina based. Try not to judge too much.

The hire boats we've had have all been 4 berth, there's only 2 of us, and 1 toilet, around 48' I think. Next plan is a winter trip on a 60' boat.

I'm not making any assumptions.

Edited by Andyaero

1 hour ago, Slow and Steady said:

There are going to be bruises getting on and off this one. One roof drain and I hope the window seals are good.

image.png.4963ccd252e31efe445bbbe3dc64fa35.png

Quite ugly, Just sussed the recessed panels are actually windows, looks like something Foxes afloat would sail around in shouting “It’s a Bickerstaffe”

2 hours ago, Andyaero said:

If new I'd def go hybrid atleast,

You are aware of the governments 'marine 2050 zero' plans are you not ?

No boat may be built after 2025 that cannot be converted to zero emission propulsion (hybrids are not zero emission)

No boat may be built after 2035 that is not zero emission propulsion

No boat may be used in UK waters after 2050 that is not zero emission propulsion

Any boats built now with diesel power are going to have huge depreciation in the next few years.

Buy secondhand keep it for 12 months and find out what you really need / want, sell it and let someone else take the depreciation hit and you buy a new 100% electric boat that does what you want/need.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are aware of the govenements 'marine 2050 zero' plans are you not ?

No boat may be built after 2025 that cannot be converted to zero emission propulsion (hubrids are not zero emission)

No boat may be built after 2035 that is nt zero emission propulsion

No boat may be used i UK waters after 2050 that is not zero emission propulsion

Any boats built now with diesel power are going to have huge depreciation in the next few years.

Buy secondhand keep it for 12 months and find out what you really need / want, sell it and let someone else take the depreciation hit and you buy a new 100% electric boat that does what you want/need.

This government does have a habit of moving/ ignoring the goal posts and by 2050 I prob won't care, if I'm still here I'll cross that one then......

However pure electric is my ideal, but I'm yet to be convinced that 100% electric is a practical cc. The builders say they are obvs, but most on here treat them like I'd just used your deck as an elsan.

Edited by Andyaero

4 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

This is my ideal, but I'm yet to be convinced that 100% electric is a practical cc.

It doesn't really matter what you think (I don't think they are currenly practical) you will not be able to buy anything else. If you are going to take a year to think about it, then 2 years build time you will be after the 2025 cut off time and whatever you have built must be capable of  removal of the propulsion sytem and a zero emission system installed in its place.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It doesn't really matter what you think (I don't think they are currenly practical) you will not be able to buy anything else. If you are going to take a year to think about it, then 2 years build time you will be after the 2025 cut off time and whatever you have built must be capable of  removal of the propulsion sytem and a zero emission system installed in its place.

If the government sticks to its targets, which is a very grey area.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its your money, how confident are you ?

At the point I'm parting with cash, we'll prob have a more definitive answer and if finances allow I'd go electric anyway. If it's used, it'll be what it'll be.