Portable Power Station

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Not for me. One-off my sons is looking at these for him to have with him whilst out and about in the van which he is making into a very basic day van for the odd picnic and perhaps night away.

I haven’t come across them before, but has anyone got any words of wisdom regarding these? Please.

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Not for me. One-off my sons is looking at these for him to have with him whilst out and about in the van which he is making into a very basic day van for the odd picnic and perhaps night away.

I haven’t come across them before, but has anyone got any words of wisdom regarding these? Please.

I think you missed posting the link so I have done it for you ...............

Small Modular Reactors | Rolls-Royce

Rolls-Royce Small Modular Reactors

Clean affordable energy for all

We are faced with an unprecedented demand for clean energy as global markets seek solutions to support their journey to net zero. The demand is for energy that is always on and which generates virtually no emissions.

Nuclear energy is the most powerful source of ‘always on’ clean energy, however, it must be deliverable, scalable and cost competitive for it to be widely embraced. Rolls-Royce SMR Ltd has designed a factory built nuclear power plant that will offer clean, affordable energy for all.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Link so I know what you are talking about?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it's one of these Jackerys. They are literally featured in every single vanlife and most narrowboat youtube videos at the moment. If nothing else Jackery have demonstrated the principle of good influencer marketing. 

I fail to see why anyone would need one when they already have leisure batteries, solar, and an alternator. 

Jackery-Explorer-500-Portable-Power-Station-1.jpg

Edited by booke23
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

From memory when someone else asked about then just a lithium battery and charging system to plug in available with different battery capacities. It may well work OK for the OP's son's project but  would have thought lead acid battery and VSR would work out cheaper, possibly  a lot cheaper.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it's one of these Jackerys. They are literally featured in every single vanlife and most narrowboat youtube videos at the moment. If nothing else Jackery have demonstrated the principle of good influencer marketing. 

I fail to see why anyone would need one when they already have leisure batteries, solar, and an alternator. 

Dead on target. That one of the beauties. And at present the favourite.

22 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Son doesn’t have those items you have listed. I do, and you are right why would you want one to use onboard if you had.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Son doesn’t have those items you have listed. I do, and you are right why would you want one to use onboard if you had.

The cheapest Jackery is £500, as @Tony Brooks says he could fit a lead acid leisure battery, some 12v/USB sockets and a small inverter to his van and still have plenty of change from £500. 

• Greenie 1

Hi, I have one of the Jackerys, I think it is the 240 model which is I think the smallest one they do. Cost me about £250. I take Tony’s point about just fitting a battery etc but if your son just wants a little simple neat portable power I think they’re just the ticket. There’s a simple easy to understand display which shows it’s level of charge. Cigarette socket type and USB sockets and a small inverter. It can run my 230v stereo and portable TV. Can be charged from a 230v socket or car cigarette lighter socket. You can also buy a small solar panel to charge it but I haven’t got one of those. I’ve had mine about a year and had no problems with it.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

He has an alternator already on his van and a leisure battery would cost him, say £70, a spit charge relay, £10

1 hour ago, MichaelG said:

Hi, I have one of the Jackerys, I think it is the 240 model which is I think the smallest one they do. Cost me about £250. I take Tony’s point about just fitting a battery etc but if your son just wants a little simple neat portable power I think they’re just the ticket. There’s a simple easy to understand display which shows it’s level of charge. Cigarette socket type and USB sockets and a small inverter. It can run my 230v stereo and portable TV. Can be charged from a 230v socket or car cigarette lighter socket. You can also buy a small solar panel to charge it but I haven’t got one of those. I’ve had mine about a year and had no problems with it.

How many Ah is it

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, MichaelG said:

And the best part is you can take it anywhere, good luck carrying a battery, inverter and USB chargers into the woods for a picnic.

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

He has an alternator already on his van and a leisure battery would cost him, say £70, a spit charge relay, £10

How many Ah is it

Mine has a 16ah lithium ion battery. It’s the smallest one of the range. Physically it’s about the size of a shoe box.

38 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

Mine has a 16ah lithium ion battery. It’s the smallest one of the range. Physically it’s about the size of a shoe box.

As I said, it all depends upon what he wants to do with it. Even allowing for lithium batteries being able to supply almost 100% of their nominal capacity, that is still only 32 Ah lead acid equivalent or similar to a small car battery. It all comes back to how much electricity he intends  to use and what he actually does use as to how suitable this will be for him.

2 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

And the best part is you can take it anywhere, good luck carrying a battery, inverter and USB chargers into the woods for a picnic.

One needs 230Vac and USB chargers for a picnic in the woods nowadays?

Really??!

17 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

All it takes is a phone call to the MOD and his service No. They take about a week.

I've been looking at the Jackery 240. A solar panel can be connected to the input, and inside the Jackery, apparently, it has an MPPT charge controller. The mains on it can power something like a 3amp charger for an E bike. I'm also looking at getting a Fiido D4s. 

I have the EcoFlow River, all info here

https://uk.ecoflow.com/products/river-portable-power-station?variant=40595204735168

My opinion, it is far better than the Jackery, it charges much quicker and doesn't require an extra 'power brick' for charging, simply plugs in to a 13 amp socket. I also have a 100W suitcase panel made by Renogy, this can be used to charge the EcoFlow or can be added to my 160W roof panel to give more boost to the batteries.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, MtB said:

One needs 230Vac and USB chargers for a picnic in the woods nowadays?

Really??!

Of course you do, how else do you keep the beer cold other than an electric coolbox/fridge, then there is the bluetooth speaker, phones for music, pump for airbed etc etc. No need to slum it nowadays, the tech is out there.😀

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Irrelevant. The OP's son is considering this for his day van, so it doesn't matter how far he wants to carry it. 

If we're talking about power for forest picnics, I'd suggest a 20000mah power bank....no 240v but it'll power all your devices and at £30 and around 300g is exactly 1/10 the cost and weight of the Jackery 240.