What to do if you breakdown in Saltersford Tunnel

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

In today's CRT's Boater's Update there is a suggestion on what to do if you breakdown in Saltersford Tunnel.

Earlier this month a boater got in touch with our North West team to ask “What do I do if I breakdown in Saltersford Tunnel, which is single way, timed, and crooked?”. It’s a good question and, hopefully, it’s useful in sharing the answer here: If you break down in Saltersford Tunnel, or any tunnel, please call our emergency number in the first instance: 0800 47 999 47 (if the emergency happens during working hours, you can also reach us on 03030 404040 pressing the option for the North West Team). Our operations team will then close then tunnel to other users and we will place a notice online advising of the closure. You would then need to contact a recovery service, such as River Canal Rescue to assist you in exiting the tunnel.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Alway Swilby said:

In today's CRT's Boater's Update there is a suggestion on what to do if you breakdown in Saltersford Tunnel.

Earlier this month a boater got in touch with our North West team to ask “What do I do if I breakdown in Saltersford Tunnel, which is single way, timed, and crooked?”. It’s a good question and, hopefully, it’s useful in sharing the answer here: If you break down in Saltersford Tunnel, or any tunnel, please call our emergency number in the first instance: 0800 47 999 47 (if the emergency happens during working hours, you can also reach us on 03030 404040 pressing the option for the North West Team). Our operations team will then close then tunnel to other users and we will place a notice online advising of the closure. You would then need to contact a recovery service, such as River Canal Rescue to assist you in exiting the tunnel.

Can you get a phone signal in Saltersford Tunnel?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Useless info. Will the phone work?  I doubt it.

How long will it take to close the tunnel?

Better to sit it out till another boat turns up and either  pushes you out or pulls you through.

Can you not use a pole anymore?

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I wonder how long it would take them to turn up and close the tunnel 

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Can you get a phone signal in Saltersford Tunnel?

Well when the two boats got wedged in there last year they called the fire brigade somehow  Fire crews called after canal boat collision sees passenger stranded in tunnel - Cheshire Live (cheshire-live.co.uk)

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Useless info. Will the phone work?  I doubt it.

How long will it take to close the tunnel?

Better to sit it out till another boat turns up and either  pushes you out or pulls you through.

Can you not use a pole anymore?

Just saying that on the Damien thread.

I guess you could use a pole on the walls.

Or leggit 

• Greenie 1

When I picked up a pretty solid bladeful in the low bit of Gosty Hill a couple of years back, I shafted us out using the short shaft against the wood for the safety chains.  It was bloomin hard work.

N

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how long it would take them to turn up and close the tunnel 

Well when the two boats got wedged in there last year they called the fire brigade somehow

This was in Barnton tunnel, which although still one way, is not subject to timing. I always thought letting it open to passage from either end as a free-for-all was an accident waiting to happen, as it's not easy to see the tunnel is clear before you enter

11 minutes ago, BEngo said:

When I picked up a pretty solid bladeful in the low bit of Gosty Hill a couple of years back, I shafted us out using the short shaft against the wood for the safety chains.  It was bloomin hard work.

N

I remember a rock sticking down from the roof of Gosty Hill taking my hat off in the dark once so I slammed to boat into full astern to stop and see it I could retrieve it. This gave Tree Monkey a near heart attack as he was sitting quietly on the tug deck at the front and he had no idea what was happening and was assuming the worst!