Damian deluded again?

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Must admit I had to google Knapton, never heard of the place. 

Theres a Knapton up by York too.

None  near the Oxford Canal? Oh dear!

Does anyone find the Boaters Update worth the candle?

I liked the advice to phone C&RT if you break down in the middle of a tunnel. How many tunnels have phone signals? Ok he goes on to say to let someone know you are going into a tunnel and if you don't phone to say you are out, they contact C&RT

You would be making a lot of phone calls at the top of the T & M 🙂 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Sometimes I have nose at them (mainly looking for the obvious blunder) but generally I don’t bother with them.

I haven’t had the latest update.

Maybe I’ll just unsubscribe. 

57 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Quite light reading.

I read the bit about breaking down in a tunnel, I have a torch which flashes red.

Would the phone work?

41 minutes ago, haggis said:

I liked the advice to phone C&RT if you break down in the middle of a tunnel. How many tunnels have phone signals? Ok he goes on to say to let someone know you are going into a tunnel and if you don't phone to say you are out, they contact C&RT

You would be making a lot of phone calls at the top of the T & M 🙂 

I didn't get that far, should I phone the incident line before and after as I don't know anyone to ask

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Quite light reading.

I read the bit about breaking down in a tunnel, I have a torch which flashes red.

Would the phone work?

I didn't get that far, should I phone the incident line before and after as I don't know anyone to ask

I understand that a boater spent quite some time in Gosty Tunnel and that several phone a friend before entering

I remember Arthur Bray saying, as he departed Raymond for the last time with his rucksack over one shoulder.

" I always reckoned the day my Nokia couldn't connect from Blisworth Tunnel would be the day I left ... too dangerous you know."

Some say mobile reception was behind the downfall of the FMC Steamer Fleet, I of course couldn't possibly comment.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On a serious note, the emergency services were very much hampered by the lack of radio communication at the Kings Cross tube station fire. In the wake of this, radiating cable radio infrastructure was installed at all London underground stations. I did a lot of the system drawings and schematics.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

On a serious note, the emergency services were very much hampered by the lack of radio communication at the Kings Cross tube station fire. In the wake of this, radiating cable radio infrastructure was installed at all London underground stations. I did a lot of the system drawings and schematics.

Thats just sparked my interest, how does radiating cable radio work?

Edited by Quattrodave

30 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

And CRT installed a relay system in Harecastle tunnel following the death in there, but I don't think it ever worked

Edit to add

44663-the-source-august-2021.pdf (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

Edited by ditchcrawler
I did it again

26 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

Thats just sparked my interest, how does radiating cable radio work?

Quite simple in reality, instead of an aerial fed by shielded cable, the signal is fed though cable with holes in the shield and a load on the end. AKA Leaky feeder. It's a pretty old technology and the fact that it wasn't already installed in the London underground will no doubt have been due to cost - you can bet the emergency services regularly asked for better radio underground but as these things go it took a disaster before anything happened. :(

478469896_RadiatiingCables1(1).jpg.4b8842b22a54962765f70bc2ab6c3878.jpg

Edited by Slow and Steady
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I’ve always imagined if I broke down in a tunnel I’d make a cup of tea and wait for the next boat to shove or tow me out.

Or use my pole to push myself out.

Never considered it something to worry about.

Some of the best experiences and adventure in life happen when something goes wrong - fact!

23 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’ve always imagined if I broke down in a tunnel I’d make a cup of tea and wait for the next boat to shove or tow me out.

Or use my pole to push myself out.

Never considered it something to worry about.

It happens surprisingly often. I've probably only done 12 or 15 long tunnel transits and on three occasions I've encountered a broken down boat part way through and towed them out. 

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

It happens surprisingly often. I've probably only done 12 or 15 long tunnel transits and on three occasions I've encountered a broken down boat part way through and towed them out. 

I’ve only come across one

In Gosty tunnel.

Dmr had caught a tyre 

😃

6 hours ago, MtB said:

I’m missing out, never met a broken down boat in a tunnel ☹️ Not sure how many times I’ve  been through longer ones but it’s at least 100 🤔 

It’s fairly unusual outside a tunnel too, other than boats aground. 
you must attract them MtB

I've never met a broken down boat in a tunnel and I can't remember whether it was a recent transit of Harecastle or Netherton that part way through I received a text message on my mobile.

19 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I've never met a broken down boat in a tunnel and I can't remember whether it was a recent transit of Harecastle or Netherton that part way through I received a text message on my mobile.

Must have been Netherton - the message came down an airshaft!

I broke down in the Harecastle a few years back, no other boats in it. Got the engine restarted after ten minutes and limped out with smoke pouring out of the rocker box caps.

That's when I found that if I had called for the tug I'd have had at least an hour's wait as nobody in attendance was authorised to drive it and they had to call a crew in from miles away. This is apparently the norm.