Pedants' Corner

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:
2 hours ago, reg said:

E1Qg7_JXMAMip3D.jpeg.81b8077b5f9326d341765b2644a68d18.jpeg

No he is trying to free a jammed windlass because he used the wrong sized hole  😀

Now that's a generous interpretation.

I'm wondering who made money from this?

Brian- Has no idea what he us doing. 

Photographer-Also unaware of correct way to use a windlass 

Hire Company -Either Made a few Bob for the use of the boat or got free publicity or both.

Whoever commissioned the photograph

Whoever signed the photograph off.

Possibly others.

I certainly don't begrudge Brian Blessed or the hire company for  making a few Bob from this photo shoot, good luck to them, however there does seem to be a general lack of quality control over the project.

Edited by reg

9 hours ago, reg said:

Hire Company -Either Made a few Bob for the use of the boat or got free publicity or both.

Possibly others.

I certainly don't begrudge Brian Blessed or the hire company for  making a few Bob from this photo shoot, good luck to them, however there does seem to be a general lack of quality control over the project.

I understand it was "Dogs for the Diabled", now Dogs for Good", that benefited. Brian Blessed was a patron of this assistance dog charity for many years. 

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

I coud be a pedant here and mention your typo

Yes you could, but which, there is one intentional one, annotated with "(sic)" because it's a copied misspelling.

1 minute ago, Jim Riley said:

Yes you could, but which, there is one intentional one, annotated with "(sic)" because it's a copied misspelling.

Do you mind having your thread title altered without your agreement? 

Just wondering. 

Or mebbe you were asked and you consented?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Do you mind having your thread title altered without your agreement? 

Just wondering. 

Or mebbe you were asked and you consented?

You have to remember @Athy is a teacher, he can't help it , it's ingrained. When he goes to the pub with his mates and it's his round he probably says "Hands up, who wants a pint?" Do you reckon he has leather elbow patches on everything?

I don't mind the change in this instance, all grist to the bantermill. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

You have to remember @Athy is a teacher, he can't help it , it's ingrained. When he goes to the pub with his mates and it's his round he probably says "Hands up, who wants a pint?" Do you reckon he has leather elbow patches on everything?

I don't mind the change in this instance, all grist to the bantermill. 

I did, if you recall, offer to alter the heading - which, lest we forget, a helpful and attentive moddy (and you don't know which one of us) had modified at MtB's suggestion in the first place.

I'm amused by your "hands up" scenario, but it's many years since I went to a pub with my mates. Early in my teaching career, in the 1970s, I did indeed have a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, which had been passed on to me by my father, who had just been appointed as a headmaster and who felt that he therefore ought to get himself a couple of new jackets. Or, more likely, Mum told him that he ought to.

And finally....as I am of Northern origin, do you really think it's likely that I would have volunteered to buy a round?

Edited by Athy

I'm surprised there isn't a section of the forum titled Pedants' Corner. Given the number of posters on here previously involved in education (or genuinely pedantic by birth) it might be a good place to keep discussions like this away from the eyes of the rest of the forum. Or should that be, 'away from the Peasants' Square...'? 😉

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Slightly altered ^ to make better sense 👍

Well spotted - I was unsure whether to start with "I did" or "indeed I did"(but not "you did") and somehow it came out as "in did". My spelling is impeccable, alas my computer's is not.

Eyup, Brian Blesssed was / is president of the Friends of Cromford canal. He is erudite and sophisticated just like us lot up here at the end of the Erewash. 

• Haha 1

On 07/05/2022 at 22:22, reg said:

Possibly others.

The important thing is not to draw attention to media errors when it is something you know about but to apply the same level of scepticism to those you do not.

• Greenie 3