Is the IWA growing teeth?

Midnight

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Yes, good point.  The WRG are worth keeping.  Those miserable old white male snobs can sod right off though.

I think maybe I should leave now being an IWA member , over 70 white male. I obviously don't fit in to what this forum think are boaters.

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think maybe I should leave now being an IWA member , over 70 white male. I obviously don't fit in to what this forum think are boaters.

I think you've got that wrong. Surely this forum has a cross section of boaters of all sorts and on the whole they are welcomed....  contrast that with the IWA

33 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not at all.  The point is that boaters are a diverse bunch and the IWA don't reflect that.  If all the white, male oldiewonks left the forum, that would be a loss of diversity.  That being said, your demographic is also well over-represented in the forum, which is why certain inalienable forum-truths, aren't actually true out in the real world.

So long as you aren't miserable and snobbish, you're very welcome in my book Mr Crawler.

48 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I think you've got that wrong. Surely this forum has a cross section of boaters of all sorts and on the whole they are welcomed....  contrast that with the IWA

I joined the IWA before I was 70, I don't think Amy, the one that had The Duck and then Willow is a white male over 70, I am not sure about Alison, I will leave you to ask her.

I will happily admit I have lots of problems with IWA the main one being communication, its OK sending members a glossy mag, these days its out of date by the time you get it, but where they really fail is engaging with none members and that do that very badly.  As for what they are doing, well the banner at Cavelcade is one, facilities for boaters, they have also done a lot of work on HS2. I agree there was some very bad press over residential boaters and CCs, but the last but one Chairmen, Ivor has worked hard to try and open up moor moorings sites in Birmingham for live aboard boaters, unfortunately I don't think he has been very successful. 

As I said in an earlier posting I had hoped that Paul Rogers with his "marketing" background would have "sold" IWA much better to a wider range of boaters. I don't know how effective their new way of electing trustees will be, it should reduce the number of people that Dora dislikes taking such positions.

IWA membership has been in decline for many years. Since 2012 it has fallen by a third despite successive marketing campaigns. Perhaps this is not surprising as it is in competition with CRT who have all the marketing advantages.

My guess is that IWA's 2021 Annual Report (not yet published) will show further decline in membership and, probably of more immediate concern, a further substantial drop in income.

I wonder if those at the top have proposed a radical way of tackling these problems which the trustees do not find palatable.

Perhaps we should remember what happened to The Waterways Trust (TWT).

18 hours ago, MtB said:

I thought the opposite, given they acquiesced to his demand the banner be taken down, instead of telling him to shove it. (As I think they should have done.)

I did wonder if it was hanging on CRT property? 

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Those miserable old white male snobs can sod right off though.

That  sounds a bit like some of the members on here 😀

• Haha 1