Buying a hundred-year-old boat

EllaGlssp

Featured Posts

Pretty little boat, think I saw it at Reading years ago.  The fact that its very old doesn't mean its not a good boat but it does need a careful and comprehensive hull survey, Obviously the underwater bits have got to be sound but some of the above water bits on a boat like this need a look at too, Deck edges, decks, all the little corners that stay damp, etc. all the bits that are rivetted on as  rust can get underneath them. I wouldn't worry about the rudder (except to check for rot) as you woll not be able to alter it. As Tam says steering it will be interesting!.  It will be more difficult than a narrow boat and I bet it won't go backwards in a straight line!  I looked at a similar boat about 40 years ago, I didn't buy it but I should have. Good luck if you go for it. If you want to see fairly similar but bigger boats being sailed look at 'Skutje racing' on You Tube. 

14 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

You should check the ballast as it was common to use poured concrete which some insurers aren’t to keen on.

Yes, good point. That would probably put me off too. 

There are exceptions, but the issue with old boats is that they generally come with lots of problems and really old boats come with even bigger problems. It just depends on whether you're the sort of person who wants to spend their time and money sorting out all those things. But you can't do a lot about poured concrete ballast.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Er, yes, that's not unnatural for a boat which is over a century old!

I sometimes worry about some people on this forum .........................

Our family home was built ~1600, and yet it had all the modern conveniences of a tiled roof, inside toilets, running water, electricity, carpets, curtains etc etc. (yes, the old well was in the yard and the outdoor 3-seater toilet, and the bread oven in the servants back-kitchen were all still there) because over the years many generations had kept it updated and modernised.

Have you never re-decorated your home, or even fitted a new bathroom suite or kitchen ?

25 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It's quite a long tiller anyway. Reaching the throttle will be no worse than many narrow boats.

I had an interesting experience with something a bit like the boat in question, going backwards (or trying) and the barn door of the rudder swung to about 90 degrees and the tiller tried to propel me into the middle of the river. Stupid boats.

39 minutes ago, Bee said:

I had an interesting experience with something a bit like the boat in question, going backwards (or trying) and the barn door of the rudder swung to about 90 degrees and the tiller tried to propel me into the middle of the river. Stupid boats.

It would be worse in a lock.

Definitely enquire as to the 'engine work' being carried out as this may be a quick fix that will require a great deal of money spent on doing properly in the very near future - i.e., a head gasket could render the boat saleable but within a short time, a full rebuild may be needed.