Boat heating webasto or eberspacher?

Stu penny

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Why should it cause any problems, that's how central heating system are designed to work and the reason we have modulating systems. 

Webbies and Ebersplutters don't modulate AFAIK.

Unless there are recently introduced models which do.

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Webbies and Ebersplutters don't modulate AFAIK.

Unless there are recently introduced models which do.

Yes there are. New Eberspacher 4kW modulates down to 1.3kW IIRC...

3 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

True enough, but using anything other than distilled water can result in corrosion of the heat exchanger.

I'd have thought distilled water perfectly capable of corroding a heat exchanger, just like any other water.

Its the oxygenation that supports corrosion AIUI, not any impurities in the water. Corrosion inhibitor is broadly essential. 

• Unimpressed 1

14 hours ago, Andy Br said:

I have just swapped my Eberspacher 5kw for a 4kw Webasto. The 5kw was too big and cycling on and off. There is not a noticeable difference in heat output but the Webasto is sooooo much quieter! 

Stoopid question time. Why does it cycle/how does it assess temperature? I'm assuming a thermostat linked to Webby. Or does it use returning water temp? 

We've got a dead Alde operating (used to!) on a variable stat in the saloon. Could it use that?

I'm no expert on them but I think there is a temperature sensor on the return pipe and the heater goes to low power when that water is above a certain temperature, i.e. all the heating system hot enough.

smaller heater working hard to maintain the radiators temperature has a better life expectancy than a larger heater keep cycling low and high.  

That is my understanding anyway. Of course I have a mark 1 wood burner as well...