I'm a Bickerstaffe

Ianws

Featured Posts

Just now, MtB said:

Hmmmm.

There is a chance the uninformed passer-by might assume it is the brand of the steerer's wife, I'd suggest. 

Next time we pass one with a lady at the helm, i'll try shouting "Hello Mrs Bickerstaffe" and see what response i get ;) 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

I thought I had heard on here that Bickerstaff had gone to the wall and they were somehow tied up with some bloggers who have left the canals

Good call. I knew I'd heard the name before somewhere.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Perhaps for the reason I used to tell pupils to help them remember that the French for "car" is feminine: "Lots of men like them and they have to spend a lot of money on them".

Oops Mr Moderator - don't let your MP say that in Parliament (unless you want 'him' sacked, that is!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Perhaps for the reason I used to tell pupils to help them remember that the French for "car" is feminine: "Lots of men like them and they have to spend a lot of money on them".

:clapping:A proper teacher then, these days some muppet would complain and have you sacked!!

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:clapping:A proper teacher then, these days some muppet would complain and have you sacked!!

You old skool dinosaur! I bet you think there are only two genders. Last I heard there was something like 76, which comes as a surprise to me too! 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

You old skool dinosaur! I bet you think there are only two genders. Last I heard there was something like 76, which comes as a surprise to me too! 

Yeah lol. These days you dont even need a gender, ya just swop daily to suit yourself, Gender fluid and all that jazz :blink: we used to call it mental health problems, but nooooooooo ya cant do that now, its entirely normal..................ooohh, can I say normal?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, haggis said:

I thought I had heard on here that Bickerstaff had gone to the wall and they were somehow tied up with some bloggers who have left the canals

Yes they built Foxes Afloat's boat. I don't think the have 'gone to the wall' though.

They have been bought out though (by Elton Moss I believe). The web site is still active.

https://www.bickerstaffeboatcompany.co.uk/

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If I wrote the shell builder (Dave Clarke) of Nightwatch on the side, I’d be inundated with all the usual references to the builder that I have heard before. Just saying.

Well, Bits And Pieces of them anyway.

13 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If I wrote the shell builder (Dave Clarke) of Nightwatch on the side, I’d be inundated with all the usual references to the builder that I have heard before. Just saying.

You could be in trouble for Feeling Glad all over!

• Greenie 2

13 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Please explain why you found this 'disconserting'. Boats have had their companies and owners names painted on the cabin side ever since canal boats have been built havent they?

What was different here?

I think its the way they put it, Braidbar have had their names on boats for years

18 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Boats have had their companies and owners names painted on the cabin side ever since canal boats have been built havent they?

I can't say I recall ever seeing one with Harland and Wolff of Woolwich or Yarwoods of Northwich on the cabin side. Arguably Fellows Morton & Clayton did build boats, but it was ancillary to their carrying business.

Tam

29 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I can't say I recall ever seeing one with Harland and Wolff of Woolwich or Yarwoods of Northwich on the cabin side. Arguably Fellows Morton & Clayton did build boats, but it was ancillary to their carrying business.

Tam

I am dissapointed it took so long for someone on here to point this out. 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

Let alone "She's a Harland and Wolff"...

Is this "she" stuff a recent affectation or did 'proper boaters' who did it for a living not call their boats "it"? 

I dunno, just wondering.