Between selling and buying

Bubblebuster

Featured Posts

For those like myself that sell their house before buying a 'live aboard' boat, where do you/did you live during the interim.

Not wanting to impose on friends and family we'll need to find somewhere that does not deplete our capital too much but by crikey, rentals are really expensive - so any suggestions guys... apart from don't be so daft.  

One idea which might be daft is to buy a motor home and sell it once we find a boat but that just seems messy plus, there would be some sort of ground rent to pay if it's parked up somewhere for weeks or even months.

When you sell a house it is typical to exchange contracts (so the deal is guaranteed) a fortnight or a month before completion. This gives you a window to buy your boat in. Plenty of sellers will wait up to a month for the money to come through especially if you give them a hefty, non-returnable deposit. 

If you haven't bought a house by then, air-BnB something so you're not locked into a 6 month rental.

A good question, as you not only have to find a suitable boat which can take many months, but apparently there is a general 4-8 week lead time for surveyors, then after the survey you may find that boat is not safe / usable  the bargain you thought it was.

I'd think in these times of it being a sellers market (for boats) that very few sellers would accept "I've got to sell the house before I can pay you", many even baulk at waiting a month for a survey which is why some actually sell 'from under you' when a buyer turns up with cash and do not want a survey. 

There are a number of reasons why you can easily end up not getting the boat yout thought you would be buying.

Maybe another way to look at it is, keep the housse, take out a bank loan, buy a boat (as a cash buyer) and then sell the house, that way you should have minimum outgoings paying off the bank loan until you sell the house and pay-off the loan.

You will not be homeless at any time, and the way things are going if you price the house realistically it'd probably sell within a couple of months (time for searches, etc etc)

Sell the house first and it could easily be 6 months (or more) living in a caravan / camper paying ground rent (£20 a night / £600 month), and losing money on the caravan / camper when you come to sell.

8 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

I lived in a tiny camper which was of course also perfect for travelling the country looking at boats. I found a lot of marinas were ok for me to stay overnight in the car park if I was viewing a boat and didn't charge so that was nice. :)

Good time of year for that.

On the other hand, second hand camper vans (like boats) cost a fortune nowadays and to afford one, you'll need to sell the house! 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

On the other hand, second hand camper vans (like boats) cost a fortune nowadays and to afford one, you'll need to sell the house! 

I dont think he was suggesting a VW Grand California, or simillar.

He specifically said 'tiny' camper van.

Its actually a sensible suggestion.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

13 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I dont think he was suggesting a VW Californian.

He specifically said 'tiny' camper van.

Its actually a sensible suggestion.

Not quite but I did already have one - I've had 5 of these over the past 25-30 years. Lots of plus points for these

Full sites tend to find you a corner simply because they're cute.

Same with marinas - they say no initially because they picture a dirty great motorhome, then yes when you explain it's no bigger than a car. Surprising how many also say they had one or a Beetle themselves when they were younger. That nostalgic love is is worth it's weight in gold. Shame about the mpg and the current ridiculous price of them plus you really do need to be hands (or wealthy) on to own one - a bit like a boat.

image.jpeg.b80b9a620652b9bda1217e33c0d20b1a.jpeg

I'll be selling that soon^ - suit you sir. ;)

But honestly, I could buy a small narrowboat for the same money.

Also good for overnight stops outside some strangers house - park up a motorhome and they'll be grumpy - park that and they'll come out with a cup of coffee for you and a chat. 

Edited by Slow and Steady

10 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Daughter sold her California for £55k last year, got more than the new price for a secondhand van. You could get a decent narrow boat for that money.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Daughter sold her California for £55k last year, got more than the new price for a secondhand van. You could get a decent narrow boat for that money.

I saw one up for £95K - it was new and unused - the owner saw the chance of a profit because the waiting time for a new one is now years.

29 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Not quite but I did already have one - I've had 5 of these over the past 25-30 years. Lots of plus points for these

Same with marinas - they say no initially because they picture a dirty great motorhome, then yes when you explain it's no bigger than a car. Surprising how many also say they had one or a Beetle themselves when they were younger. That nostalgic love is is worth it's weight in gold. Shame about the mpg and the current ridiculous price of them plus you really do need to be hands (or wealthy) on to own one - a bit like a boat.

Also good for overnight stops outside some strangers house - park up a motorhome and they'll be grumpy - park that and they'll come out with a cup of coffee for you and a chat. 

What puzzles me about those is where the walk-in shower is, and the WC. 

45 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Very nice but the one I was thinking about was this one. There are though some mini campers that come in at a lot less then either.

new_vehicles-grand_california_stars_v3-hero-16x9-2500x1406.jpg

54 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Very nice but the one I was thinking about was this one. There are though some mini campers that come in at a lot less then either.

new_vehicles-grand_california_stars_v3-hero-16x9-2500x1406.jpg

The newer ones yes they are very nice, but they are expensive and they are big and if you don't get a LWB one they are no bigger inside than my old T2. The old T2s are probably death traps in an accident though and may well just fold up like a cardboard box. In a head on collision kiss goodbye to your legs. However, for me the safety concerns are outweighed by the tiny footprint. Cross fingers, I'm 62 and never had so much as a scrape accident but I drive my van cautiously - no anti-lock braking means you WILL hit the car in front if everyone slams on the anchors and you haven't left adequate braking room etc etc. Also not much cop for high speed cruising unless like me you spend an embarrassingly large amount of money of a "big" mild engine designed specifically with that in mind. If you don't, they are limited by heat being air cooled. Building an air-cooled engine that doesn't slow down up hills and doesn't overheat at a steady 70mph on the motorway is not easy and takes restraint - it's so easy to be tempted to build one with 150HP but the secret is big and mild with lots of low rev torque. Today it would cost you £8-10k to build this one and you could spend £15K. I did it for £1500 a few years ago due to machining contacts, parts I'd stashed, a lot of canny DIY and good dealing. Like boats, what and who you know makes all the difference.

image.png.bc897740c1f258446856b95a13fba94b.png

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Slow and Steady said:

The newer ones yes they are very nice, but they are expensive

Indeed the one I pictured comes in at something like £80K and then there is the 'options' list to take it even further skywards.

If I was spending that kind of dosh I'd be wanting an A class or coach built motorhome, though I recognise the 'van' dimensions have positives too, especially in some of the places we get to. (Cornwall/rural France/Italy)

Anyway I've diverted this thread too much now so I would just reinforce your original suggestion as being sound.

10 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

The newer ones yes they are very nice, but they are expensive and they are big and if you don't get a LWB one they are no bigger inside than my old T2. The old T2s are probably death traps in an accident though and may well just fold up like a cardboard box. In a head on collision kiss goodbye to your legs. However, for me the safety concerns are outweighed by the tiny footprint. Cross fingers, I'm 62 and never had so much as a scrape accident but I drive my van cautiously - no anti-lock braking means you WILL hit the car in front if everyone slams on the anchors and you haven't left adequate braking room etc etc. Also not much cop for high speed cruising unless like me you spend an embarrassingly large amount of money of a "big" mild engine designed specifically with that in mind. If you don't, they are limited by heat being air cooled. Building an air-cooled engine that doesn't slow down up hills and doesn't overheat at a steady 70mph on the motorway is not easy and takes restraint - it's so easy to be tempted to build one with 150HP but the secret is big and mild with lots of low rev torque. Today it would cost you £8-10k to build this one and you could spend £15K. I did it for £1500 a few years ago due to machining contacts, parts I'd stashed, a lot of canny DIY and good dealing. Like boats, what and who you know makes all the difference.

That is very nice. a credit to you. Downdraught Webers or Solex carbs?

A older Mazda Bongo is a good small more modern T2 equivalent, but even those are not cheap these days and like all vans, new ones with safety features are huge on the outside.

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That is very nice. a credit to you. Downdraught Webers or Solex carbs?

The apex of carburettor design - Dellorto DRLA 40's

Engine is a 2.4L air-cooled made from a 2L. 180Nm at 1800 rpm. It growls when you put your foot down.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Talking of non standard vans I have one word to say

Sambasaurus

It is my daughters and its in the middle of a rebuild, again!

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Indeed the one I pictured comes in at something like £80K and then there is the 'options' list to take it even further skywards.

If I was spending that kind of dosh I'd be wanting an A class or coach built motorhome, though I recognise the 'van' dimensions have positives too, especially in some of the places we get to. (Cornwall/rural France/Italy)

Anyway I've diverted this thread too much now so I would just reinforce your original suggestion as being sound.

A lot of modern estate housing won't allow you park a caravan or coach built motorhome on the drive, but will allow traditional type "vans". If you are limited to on street parking, again a van is going to be easier to live with and if you're a plumber, have tattoo "sleeves" , face piercing and like drum and bass - again a van is the way to go regarding cool fashion for the youngsters.

26 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Talking of non standard vans I have one word to say

Sambasaurus

It is my daughters and its in the middle of a rebuild, again!

Very nice... but you can't dangle your elbow out of a splitty drivers window... and.. they are truly tiny inside! Monster engine though, very nice! It's so difficult to get the CR down with an engine like that, my theory is that's why so many end up with racy cams. I looked at that cam but in the end took a gamble and fitted a stock one, I like it's manners in a heavy bus despite "giving away" 50 max HP. Mine's more like a turbo diesel - 1500-4000rpm, it's relaxing to drive and after all - it's a camper not a race car. :)

I had this on the go while I was restoring the green one.

fullcamping.jpg.a41944748ef78c556d04fb81317c2f29.jpg

I built it a 2020cc type-1 with a 76mm wasserboxer crank in a new ali case with a C35 and big valve heads on my dining room table. Great crank, it revved off my counter and made 135HP but was rubbish cruising as it wanted to be in 3rd gear at 60mph. The actual engine looks tiny! Best suited to a lawn mower I think - type-4 are just so much better, stronger and cooler running. :)

P1010117.JPG.8b85b523f2253e8e5ac214d4c7221979.JPG

2 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Very nice... but you can't dangle your elbow out of a splitty drivers window... and.. they are truly tiny inside!

I had this on the go while I was restoring the green one.

fullcamping.jpg.a41944748ef78c556d04fb81317c2f29.jpg

I built it a 2020cc type-1 with a 76mm wasserboxer crank in a new ali case with a C35 and big valve heads on my dining room table. Great crank, it revved off my counter and made 135HP but was rubbish cruising as it wanted to be in 3rd gear at 60mph. The actual engine looks tiny! Best suited to a lawn mower I think - type-4 are just so much better, stronger and cooler running. :)

P1010117.JPG.8b85b523f2253e8e5ac214d4c7221979.JPG

Nice engine.

Daughter's Samba is built to be quick off the mark, has a full roll cage inside that makes it even smaller and is definitely not a cruising vehicle.   ;)

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Nice engine.

Daughter's Samba is built to be quick off the mark, has a full roll cage inside that makes it even smaller and is definitely not a cruising vehicle.   ;)

Yep, I noticed the smokin tyres on the photos! That type-1 was ace for racing between the roundabouts past Milton Keynes but as a camper engine on a run it was pretty useless TBH - more or less dead before it was on cam at 3,000rpm and I'm too old to be a boy racer. I only built it after someone else made a dog of an engine doing the wasser conversion for me - I had a point to prove and only reused the case and crank as the rest was toast after a few hundred miles! He was supposed to be building me the most powerful engine possible. It transpired that he had undiagnosed early onset Alzheimer's and dementia and was doing his best to fulfil promises he'd made so I forgave and did it myself.

Sorry for the diversions, but back to the point - a small camper is ideal, it takes the pressure off buying the first you see, the summer is here and it's perfect for a lazy wander looking at boats.