Fire stick/Wifi

XLD

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Jak said:

Same as Ronnie, but using Virgin mobile for unlimited data.  You don’t even need the fire stick if you fork out for a decent 12v smart telly. 

Why does it need to be 12v?

I bought a Samsung smart monitor a few months ago instead of a TV. I couldn't see the point of a TV if you're using a satellite dish. The smart monitor connects to the satellite box but it's also got all the digital steaming channels built in so you can use it over WiFi too.

12 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Do they actually make a smallish non-smart 12v TV without a DVD?

Yes

I bought one of these and am very pleased with it. Amazed how little power it needs.

8w/12v=0.6666amps

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cello-C1220DVB-Rechargeable-Portable-Analogue/dp/B09GG6PNPB

I also have a Fire tablet which I use occasionally.

Edited by reg

On 01/05/2022 at 12:17, The Happy Nomad said:

Not 'aboard' but we use one in the Caravan. The principle is the same.

It's set to use the wi-fi hot spot on my Pixel 4 Android phone and works a treat. Obviously if you have a poor phone signal it will be less successful but using EE this is very rarely a problem for us.

You do of course need a generous/unlimited data allowance as video can chew through your data quite quickly.

Edit - you could get rid of your satellite dish, but you will lose a lot of 'live' broadcast TV apart from the very few that broadcast via. their streaming platforms. ITV BBC. (Some channels)

Now then. Are you saying that live TV is not completely available with a Firestick? I’m not interested in Netflix etc. I’m interested in getting rid of my satellite dish.

1 minute ago, XLD said:

Now then. Are you saying that live TV is not completely available with a Firestick? I’m not interested in Netflix etc. I’m interested in getting rid of my satellite dish.

A fire stick is predominantly a streaming device,

Some streaming services offer the ability to watch 'live' TV via. their apps. eg ITV Hub and BBC iplayer. But mainly they are for the likes Netflix, Amazon Prime video etc.

Just now, XLD said:

Then you either need to stick with it, or swap it for a log periodic and freeview. There are apps on streaming sticks from most main TV channels, but each require annoying logins that in turn require furnishing them with your details. Or you can start paying for one of the many IPTV services that may or may not vanish at the drop of a hat along with your fee, which will in turn require you to pay for a VPN to fully cover your @rse from potential prosecution.

We watch BBC live via iPlayer, most ITV channels live via ITV Hub although for some ITV channels not all programs are available live, Channel 4 programs are mostly available live via All4, channel 5 via My5 and we watch various UKTV Play channels via their app.  Anything that can't be watched live will usually be on catch-up after a while.

This is all via a NowTV (Roku) stick.

• Greenie 1

Yes. I only have Unlimited data / WI-FI and fire sticks now.  Never short of telly to watch and no messing about with antennas. Don’t miss that 😆

• Greenie 1