Is this gas oven ok for a narrowboat?

Adam1991

Featured Posts

As someone with a full size domestic oven/ grill / hob who used to have a stupid little oven that was too small to fit std size baking trays / do a roast dinner with a separate stupid little hob where any reasonable size pan overhung... you can see where I'm going here. :)

The thing is, the full size jobby takes almost no more space than the natty little boaty/camper ones did and cost less.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi, would this be fine for installation on a boat? 

also any pointers or advice on choosing an oven for a narrowboat and the lpg related advice?

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/kenwood-ks101gss-gas-oven-stainless-steel-10166795.html

There would be better choices, 

The Kenwood KS101GSS Gas Oven offers both conventional gas cooking and an electric variable grill, allowing you to cook a variety of meals with ease.

Shows as out of stock at Currys.

It needs a  13 A power supply to drive the electric grill and, probably,  the auto ignition system.  If you have a big enough, always on, inverter and the electrics to support that you should be broadly OK, but mounting etc. will need to be considered.  It seems quite deep so you will be limited in  where it will fit.

Fitting the LPG jets is not always as easy as is made out.

You will need to check its gas consumption and make sure your regulator, supply pipe etc. are suitably sized for all your gas appliances at once.

The BSS check list has requirements for shut off valves, flexible connections et al.

N

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

Is an air fryer going to be practical on a boat?

Can’t see why you can’t use one on a boat, would be cleaner to use then the old basket and pan on the job, but thought the novelty would wear off after a few weeks and would be left to find somewhere to store it, as were bigger then I imagined.

Edited by PD1964

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Can’t see why you can’t use one on a boat, would be cleaner to use then the old basket and pan on the job, but thought the novelty would wear off after a few weeks and would be left to find somewhere to store it, as were bigger then I imagined.

I have an air fryer.

It draws 1.5kW, exactly the same power as each of the two full-sized ovens my the range cooker in my hovel on the bank.

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

Storage would/could be an issue as @PD1964 has already referenced. For what they achieve they are disproportionately large. We have a Tefal Mini one, which is no longer made and even that is quite large.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

Depends how much you want one. If the power draw can be supported then I don't see why not. It's less power hungry than most microwaves & washing machines and some people even have dishwashers on their boats. You have to bear in mind that some boats are on shore power much of the time where most mains appliances can be used without an issue. I have a microwave that I use at my mooring on shore power but I wouldn't use it if I was away. An air fryer is probably no larger than a microwave so it might come down to how much one likes air fried food.