A job for the summer?

David Mack

Featured Posts

I crewed a couple of old 1890s steam passenger boats on the Thames for a couple of years and ran the boiler & engine on my own on a couple of trips when the engineer couldn't make it. Steering a 90ft vessel while the skipper was doing other things was an experience. You've got to remember almost half the boat is behind you when going through narrow bridges and exiting locks. 

It's not all enjoyable though. There's a reason steam died out. Shifting tonnes of coal into bunkers and cleaning out the boiler before every trip isn't much fun and I was earning a lot less than £11/hour. Good experience overall though.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

On 01/05/2022 at 00:03, David Mack said:

The National Trust are looking for someone to crew the steam yacht Gondola on Lake Coniston. Full time job until September, and could lead to a Boatmaster qualification.

https://careers.nationaltrust.org.uk/OA_HTML/a/#/vacancy-detail/120372

Sorry, but this is my little thing.

It's "Coniston Water". There's only one lake in the Lake District and that is "Bassenthwaite Lake".

Hat, Coat, Door!

• Greenie 1